Gransnet forums

Relationships

Mumsnet discussions about estrangement

(117 Posts)
Joyfulnanna Fri 05-Jul-19 23:19:44

I've just looked at the posts and advice given out on mumsnet about going nc and generally about relationships with parents and am horrified at the content of the posts and comments to them. There is alot of toxic advice on there, no real support that I can see, only others adding to the dramas in their lives, fuelling discussions that achieve nothing more than pure hate. It's no wonder there are so many mums go nc at the slightest thing and don't see any other way to deal with issues in their lives. It's a scourge of our society getting this sort of 'help' in forums that thrive on hateful posts about their parents. This blame game is so damaging the fabric of families.

Starlady Wed 24-Jul-19 05:34:27

Bradfordlass and Sara65, such poignant posts! Hugs to you both!

As for "ghosting," Ive heard of it in both contexts - suddenly disappearing and "fading away." The second is probably kinder, but either one may leave the ousted party wondering why. That's why I think at least a brief explanation is warranted, unless the reasons are really obvious.

Smileless, I can't get over the way ES cut you off! And at Christmas, too! While he didn't just "disappear," IMO, this was just a harsh. How could he have thought this was ok?

Smileless2012 Wed 24-Jul-19 09:33:56

It was awful Starlady. I wish he had just disappeared.

Norah Wed 24-Jul-19 12:14:58

Im not sure there is a difference to disappearing and fading away? And should either be less upsetting? To me, "ghosting" no matter how defined, could be the less painful.

Norah Wed 24-Jul-19 12:16:25

Shattered is shattered.

Norah Wed 24-Jul-19 12:28:12

Smileless2012 gutting Im sure, better over to throwing a wobbly.

westerlywind Wed 24-Jul-19 20:06:56

I wonder just how true the statements made by the OPs on MN that incite the views that they should go NC.
I would never have answered my parents or grandparents back cheekily. I dont treat anyone like that. I was brought up to have good manners and even when I dont agree with others I dont get into an argument or try to gather up a gang to take on my view. (I have wondered if I should have had a more forthright disposition, so many people have taken advantage)
It is now coming to light that many children are awful to their parents. I dont have the website but you could Google "The Silent Suffering of Parent Abuse. When Children Abuse Parents"
I was ashamed and did not speak out previously but it happened to me. I have scars, real physical scars. I have had people advise me to give one of my "D"?Cs a real slap. I was a parent when we were not to smack the little angels so I never did. I have them recorded shouting and swearing at me. They also sent emails and PM with abusive content. I worked up to 3 jobs to keep them while the exh paid nothing. They also allow their DC my DGC to be shouted and sworn at, one SIL when I said dont smack the DGC then smacked my bottom!
They drink sometimes to great excesses. They have other questionable habits. There are legal documents showing what is really going on.
Lately I have been accused of being drunk (I dont drink at all) and on drugs (I have never taken drugs in my life. I have also been accused of running both DCs lives. If I was running their lives I would be making a better job of them. I could not do as bad as they are.
If my DCs were to write on MN they would likely make me out to be a drink and drug muddled waste of space. I am not. I have been in responsible jobs, I am currently running an inherited business which was left to me by people as sober and non drug taking as myself.

Smileless2012 Wed 24-Jul-19 20:17:12

Oh he through wobbly's Norah, they both did; that was just the beginning.

He wasn't content to just walk away. The lies started, lies that almost destroyed us and put a terrible strain on our relationship with his brother.

But we got through it and the relationship we have with our DS is stronger now than it ever was, as is the relationship we have as husband and wife.

Shattered is shattered, but shattered doesn't have to last a life time.

Norah Fri 26-Jul-19 07:39:33

Yes, Smileless thats why I wonder if ghosting might be better?

Smileless2012 Fri 26-Jul-19 09:34:47

I suppose it's the lesser of two evils.

GoodMama Fri 26-Jul-19 18:41:05

I think some posters here have been insightful and pointed out that generational expectations could be at play.

You read a lot on MN about “grandparents wanting to be 3rd parents”. Stealing precious moments from parents, feeling entitled to their children’s children, generally not knowing or respecting their role.

At the same time you read on GN about grandparents who just want to love and spoil their grandchildren. They want to give them the time and attention they couldn’t give their kids when they were young. They want help the parents not repeat their own mistakes.

You also hear a lot of these grandparents talk about how they let their parents have these experiences and while they didn’t like it, it was expected of them. So they grit their teeth and put up with it. Now they expect their children to do the same.

But times have changed (as mentioned in this thread) and parents today don’t feel obligated to give up their experiences and moments with their kids so their parents can have them or be included on them.

So there is conflict. And the poor grandparents are let upset because they missed out on both ends.

But the cycle has to stop somewhere. Perhaps that is what we are seeing. A societal shift in “deferential treatment of elders” and realizing life is short so stand up for your happiness and your family. Your parents are responsible for their own happiness.

I’m not sure. But I keep seeing these themes and ideas mentioned. It seems like an epic clash.

Hopefully the next generation will be raised by parents who were satisfied with their parenting and are happy to sit back and enjoy their retirement years with out feeling the need to make up for missing out.

If this is the case- It’s truly sad for the current grandparent generation. But it has to stop sometime.

Sara65 Fri 26-Jul-19 19:05:21

Goodmamma

You make some very good points, I have only once briefly looked at mumsnet years ago, and realised pretty quickly that it wasn’t for me.

I see both sides, I think some grandparents, sadly mostly grandmothers, do think they are entitled to a relationship with their grandchildren, I also think some mums are cutting off their noses to spite their faces, grandparents can be a huge help and support.

GoodMama Fri 26-Jul-19 21:13:12

Sara65, I've never been on Mumsnet. I'm lucky to have a good relationship with my MIL. She lives a ways away, but we offer her to visit often and send her pictures whenever we think of it.

I do have challenges with my own parents, however. There is a definitely a differing of opinion on expectations. My father believes that grandparents do not have to follow any of the parents guidelines and they their "grandparent experience" trumps my parenting.

He believes vaccines are none-sense ("he had the measles and survived, after all"), that he should be allowed to feed my daughter food she is allergic to ("Doctors today are too cautious") and he manages to criticize every parenting decision my DH and I make, even chastising me for feeding my very small and underweight newborn a few times over night instead of leaving her in her crib for 8 hours like he did (FYI - my mom did not do this, he was just asleep and didn't remembersmile ).

Still, we are walking the line of a respectful relationship because I do want a relationship between him and my children. But I have watch him closely to make sure my kids stay safe, which creates strain and I do not enjoy the visits.

I have to very quietly and covertly avoid letting my father sit by my daughter at meal times to keep her safe. I'm sure some of the MILs here would rake me over the coals for denying him this. But he doesn't listen and I have to keep her safe.

The echo-chamber and defense of MILs or DILs on these sites no matter what, in spite of logic or rational thought drives me crazy.

It seems a great number of posters will defend a MIL, no matter how out of line because she is a MIL. I assume, from things I've seen here that it is the same on Mumsnet.

Joyfulnanna Fri 26-Jul-19 21:16:50

I think the reason gp spoil their gc is because they know how short childhood is, they know how quickly time goes and how soon kids would rather see their own friends, than be with parents or gp. As a first time parent, you haven't been through this yet, it's all new and most parents are so busy keeping all the plates spinning, and the headiness of watching children go through phases, whereas the gp can reflect on these times, look back and realise how precious childhood is, perhaps they feel a sense of sadness (probably not the right word) and are just trying to overcompensate.. I don't know, these are just my thoughts.

Sara65 Fri 26-Jul-19 21:27:51

GoodMama

I take my hat off to you, you really are a very kind and tolerant girl, and I think your dad is lucky you’ve cut him so much slack.

I think Joyfulnana is right about us being aware of time racing by, those special precious years are gone so quickly, I guess some grandparents want a second chance.

Norah Sat 27-Jul-19 08:45:45

Sara65 A second chance at what?

Sara65 Sat 27-Jul-19 08:52:42

Norah

At spending more quality time with the children, we know now how quickly they grow up. Not suggesting that grandparents want a second chance at parenting