Gransnet forums

Relationships

Worried about single daughter/s

(64 Posts)
Pollyj Fri 26-Jun-20 11:53:46

Neither of my girls can find a man or lasting relationship, but the younger one at the moment is taking it hard. A whole flock of her friends coupled up from school/uni and settled down while she was in a nine year relationship that failed. ugh she has the odd guy it never lasts, or they treat her badly. She’s 32 and gets upset when another friend has a child. Her flat mate’s relationship broke down and a month later she met the man she is now married to. My daughter feels increasingly desperate the older she gets, and I also feel a sort of panic rising in me. She wants so much to have a regular relationship and a child. It isn’t just me saying it but both are very attractive, smart and funny so I don’t know why!? I want this too, for them and for me. Has anyone else Known this and had a happy outcome where it all suddenly falls into place?

Susieq62 Sat 27-Jun-20 17:33:34

I think I am breaking the mould here as my daughter is 39. She was in a 13 year relationship, bought their own home, but then he cheated on her with a younger model ( doctor met nurse) and they are now married. Daughter was totally devastated and has taken 4 years to rebuild her life. I paid him out so she could stay in the house she loves. She has no intention of being a mum but she attempt to adopt last year. That was unsuccessful due to child being severely damaged so she is now concentrating on her career plus a good social life. She travels solo, such as to Australia, Peru, Borneo. She has tried on line dating but admits it is hard work and can be a full time job and she already has one of those! My point is that women today have choices and do not need to be pressured into pregnancy or unacceptable relationships just to say they have a partner. I am a great believer in fate and what will be will be. I hope your daughter finds happiness whatever she dies

Theoddbird Sat 27-Jun-20 17:57:29

My niece didnt meet the love of her life until she was in later 30s. She had her darling baby when she was 43. Your daughter needs to relax...a relaxed person is more likely to attract the right person

Buddleja Sat 27-Jun-20 21:33:33

Therapywise I would recommend CAT (cognitive analytic therapy) to help recognise unhelpful ways of relating.

Joyfulnanna Sat 27-Jun-20 22:40:47

LynnP what a lovely story. Must give the OP hope for her daughters. I do think it's not out of the ordinary for people to couple up much later..at least online dating is available to your daughters..

Naty Sat 27-Jun-20 22:58:21

An acquaintance was 31 and hadn't found anybody after her engagement ended. The man was no longer interested...she was on various websites and read "the rules" or some book that megan markle read to land harry...she then met a man and moved internationally to be with him. They married within a year after meeting, had 3 miscarriages and had a baby 2 years ago. There is hope! But she needs to open up her hobbies and go where the men are. No pubs! Websites! I'd look into paying matchmakers too. You could get the ball rolling if you gift your girls memberships (ask first, of course).

I also was very desperate at a certain point...I was 24, though....but I met someone when I improved my standards greatly. I wrote a list if the qualities I wanted and I also said a prayer and there were so so many strange coincidences that day...you'd think I was making the story up...long story short: there are miracles that happen. I believed in true love and stopped seeing loser guys. I'm married to my love who fell out of the sky and we have a kid 10 years later.

If I were 32 and single, I'd be panicking. Turn that panic into doing something proactive. FAST. 32 is still young enough...people have kids until their 40s these days. There is hope!

One of my aunt's friends met a millionaire in her 40s...unfortunately they couldn't have kids. But she's got a painting that's worth 1mil in her livingroom.

Another person I know met a millionaire in her 60s...She's travelling the world now after making minimum wage..

MissAdventure Sat 27-Jun-20 23:15:09

Oh please tell me he has a brother who isn't fussy!
I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to do my job.

Grammaretto Sat 27-Jun-20 23:59:18

I am quite surprised reading so many stories of lonely young women because what I see when I look around me is lonely young men!

I can think of 3 or 4 sons of my friends who still live at home aged 30 plus!
I blame the parents. I truly do.

We expected our DSs to leave home and find their way in the world and they did. These molly coddling parents are not helping at all.

I also know of 2 women who deliberately got pregnant (one was IVF) to have a child, without wanting a partner. I think that is selfish. A child needs to know its father.

Naty Sun 28-Jun-20 00:53:38

How about ask your kids for permission and then set up a post describing them. Other posters can then set their grown children up! Start a thread advertising your children. Be careful with personal details.

Joyfulnanna Sun 28-Jun-20 15:54:15

Grammaretto. I also think there are too many Mollycoddling parents, there is no reason for kids to leave home if their needs are being met, but thats another topic.

sodapop Sun 28-Jun-20 17:28:25

Yes then we can flog them off to some passing millionaire Naty

I don't see that being in a relationship is the be all and end all. Plenty of threads on here to suggest otherwise. Some people are quite happy being single and having good friends.

Naty Sun 28-Jun-20 20:09:28

@sodapop it's true there are plenty of examples of unhappy couples. Plenty of unhappy singles too! The point of this post was that the OP's children are unhappy single. It's not to say that one cannot be happy alone.

Pollyj Tue 30-Jun-20 10:19:48

Thank you. I just hate to see her saying ‘there must be something wrong with me’ when she is such a lovely person. Makes me sad.

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jun-20 14:25:45

I have to say it.
The air of desperation isn't the most attractive feature, especially if the parents are desperate, too!