Gransnet forums

Relationships

Invited to my sister's and then told to go

(105 Posts)
seastar Wed 08-Jul-20 04:50:56

Sister invited me over to her house and gave me a time to arrive. I turned up on time. We were talking about pleasant things and my sister's husband went to bed. It was 8.30 pm. After 30 mins her husband came downstairs and said loudly "Come on, you have work tomorrow and you have to be up early". He then went back to bed. I made my excuses and left at 9pm. My sister was the one who said to come over on that particular night at 8;30pm. I felt her husband was being rude and disrespectful. Have I read the situation correctly? My sister's husband has now banned me from the house and they have cut me off. I thought it was an over reaction but I never know if i'm in the right or wrong.

Gingergirl Wed 08-Jul-20 10:46:19

She’s your sister! Get in touch and ask what happened in that occasion and why she doesn’t want to see you. Try not to be too judgemental until she’s explained.

allsortsofbags Wed 08-Jul-20 11:00:30

IF, and I stress 'if ' myself and other posters are reading your post and situation right there is a bigger problem here.

Your BIL sounds like a bully and your sister sounds like a woman broken down by too much of his behaviour.

You say "They have cut you off". May be your sister has gone along with the "cutting off" in order to Keep the Peace - Don't Rock the Boat and all that.

So may be it's more about your sister finding ways of keeping her self as safe as she can and not about you being cut off.

If what you say is happening then your sisters relationship with her husband is fragile at best but most likely dangerous.

While I think what happened to you is Wrong you are at least safe and away from any future danger - may be your sister lives with this and other "Wrongs" who knows?

As for contacting your sister you may only get one shot at this so I'd make the message positive. Something like "Thank you for inviting me. You know how to get hold of me anytime".

Even if you can't have any private communications with your sister try to let her known you're there for her.

Please don't get into lots of 'Yes But's' and 'I only's" take control of you part in this and don't let your hurts dominate any contact.

You have every Right to be hurt by what happened but your have a RESPONSIBILITY not to make your sisters difficult life any worse.

I'm in full agreement with NotSpaghetti and others in that it seems like there is Domestic Abuse going on here.

If you want a better insight into the difference between Domestic Abuse and Domestic Violence go on the Women's Aid wed site, lots of good information on there and other sites.

Also if you want a better understanding of what seems to happen in your wider family look on line at the Drama Triangle, get to know your part in the family dynamics and start by taking control of yourself.

At the moment your are feeling very hurt, reasonably so, but ...

When we are in Feelings we don't have much access to Thinking. This situation needs more thinking so get your feelings processed and then get thinking you will get to Feeling better sooner that way.

Good Luck and remember YOU are SAFE from your BIL, your sister may not be. You have a home and life away from hers and her troubles she has that treatment every day.

Dee1012 Wed 08-Jul-20 11:04:51

The other issue that concerns me here is Mum lives with them but I'm not allowed to see mum anymore.
Does anyone else have contact or see your Mum? Personally I'd be very worried about anyone living with your brother in law.

moggie57 Wed 08-Jul-20 11:05:37

Cant your sister come to your house instead.i wouldnt go back when he was there.she needs to stand up for herself.but maybe he controls all that she does.maybe she needs your support.ask her to come and meet you else where.maybe she needs a break from him .invite her to yours for the weekend.if there is physical abuse he needs reporting

montymops Wed 08-Jul-20 11:07:08

What does your mum think of this situation? Is she very infirm or suffering from dementia? Does she support this attitude to you? Nobody has the right to deprive a mother of seeing her child whatever age they are. Are there any other siblings? Does your sister have any children? On the face of it, it sounds as if your brother in law has major problems in manners and tolerance. I wonder if he really wanted his mother in law living with them? Who knows? Maybe talk to your sister - ask her to visit you with Mum if possible. Write to your Mum - tell her what’s happened - although if she’s OK she might also be being bullied by this unpleasant sounding man. Has he got any brothers or sisters? If so you could speak to them. See if he has form in this sort of behaviour- only of course if you really want to keep contact. But you do say you miss your mum - so be brave take action .

Flakesdayout Wed 08-Jul-20 11:39:33

One of my best friends has just got out of a relationship with a coercive controlling man. She was not allowed to see her children, he didn't like her friends and we never went round when he was there. He was jealous of her boss and any man with whom she may have had to speak to through her job. He is a vile man and despite her finally getting him out last October he will not leave her alone. She has had police involvement and asked for info under Claires law but nothing came to light although she is aware of a chequered past. You sister may feel trapped in this relationship and fearful of the consequences of rocking the boat and she also has your Mum to consider. I would just make sure I am there for her when she needs you which will eventually come. I would also send a text checking she is ok and ask after your Mum. Could you not meet out or at your home? and contact her when he is not around if you can. Good luck. You know we are all here to offer support. Good luck.

Bluegrass Wed 08-Jul-20 11:44:05

No-one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Keep in touch with your sister. Maybe have phone calls a couple of times a week. This way, if she needs you she will know you will be there for her.

Natasha76 Wed 08-Jul-20 11:45:35

Is this a new thing or is he struggling after lockdown? I think we are going to see a legacy of odd behavioural and mental issues when we emerge from this.
Fingers crossed this is all just stress and it gets sorted out.

Flygirl Wed 08-Jul-20 11:48:00

Not "allowed" to see your mother, even though she lives there??? Does that seem right to you? Is she like Miss Haversham, living hidden in the attic?? Please.. how can you not see how twisted this all is? BiL is classic narcissist...needing control over people and situations to feel validated. I agree with Cossy, your sister probably suffered after the event for daring to ask you to visit against his wishes. Probably with "stonewalling" (silent treatment) and she is a codependent, going along with his wishes to have a quiet life. Classic control is cutting people off from their families and friends. I think this sounds extremely dangerous and I really don't understand how you can even question whether it is normal behaviour. It really isn't. You are being played and frankly, I fear for your sister and mother.

Jaibee12 Wed 08-Jul-20 12:00:01

It sounds like your sister is being controlled by this man. See if you can contact her and meet somewhere on neutral ground. She may be afraid of him.

Nannan2 Wed 08-Jul-20 12:03:15

Maybe youd got a bit loud, but still seems way over the top to ban you & cut you off! Youre well out of it, he sounds like a right nutter! Send your sister a text, leave it ambiguous as he may read her messages& mail too- just say "sorry if we disturbed your hubby- but id love to still see you, maybe just you& I could get together at mine next time?" Then leave it to her- or is there a time when hes out and she is in alone? Maybe you could go speak to her then, ask her why it happened, tell her you'd help her leave if she wishes?- but stay at the door, in case he turns up, you don't know if he'd turn nasty! Never put anything like that in a text or letter to her, he probably reads it all.hmm If not you'll have to accept the way they are probably.sad

kevincharley Wed 08-Jul-20 12:10:14

I'd want to hear the other side of the story before I waded in with advice or support.
I think that about the majority of posts on here.
Nobody can formulate a constructive opinion based on what's written here.

Nannan2 Wed 08-Jul-20 12:15:10

I would be worried for my mother, i would tell the social care team about him and get my mum out of there.hmm

Lesley60 Wed 08-Jul-20 12:16:47

He sounds to me like an abusive control freak, did your sister stand up to him, who knows what she suffers when they are alone I feel sorry for her.

Nannan2 Wed 08-Jul-20 12:17:51

'Constructive opinion'?? In any opinion that's very strange behaviour, not what normally goes on! Anyone thinking it is, is probably a bit odd themselves.

EllanVannin Wed 08-Jul-20 12:17:53

Daft question---does he have any friends/family ?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 08-Jul-20 12:17:54

I can't see that you have done anything wrong, but apologising might just be the way to renew contact with you sister.

I may have misunderstood, but I thought you meant that they have both asked you to stay away?

If you want to see your sister after this, ring her up and ask what the fuss was all about, then leave it to her to explain.

GillT57 Wed 08-Jul-20 12:20:05

Apart from the rudeness and possible controlling behaviour, the thing which worries me is the fact that you are not allowed to see your Mother. So, where was she when you visited? Is it such a massive house that she didn't know you were visiting? Is she shut away and not allowed visitors? Maybe a call to the elderly care team to check she is ok would be the first thing to do.

sodapop Wed 08-Jul-20 12:20:53

This situation is wrong in many ways seastar Be careful how you approach things but I think you should try and talk to your sister privately and see if you can find out what is happening.
I would be quite concerned about your Mum and her being isolated from family.
I hope you can sort something out soon.

ladymuck Wed 08-Jul-20 12:26:04

I wonder if you said something which offended him? Was he enjoying your company one minute and then suddenly became hostile and left the room? If so, that could be the reason for his behaviour.
Dictating to your sister is another matter. Is she afraid of him? Surely she could confide in you privately if she wished to.
It all sounds very strange.

Daddima Wed 08-Jul-20 12:45:12

I agree with kevincharley, that there is more to this story than we see here. To be forbidden to see your mother, and cut off by the couple seems strange. I also assume you have had contact with them where you were informed that you were banned from the house. Was that not the time to ask what you had done wrong?
I am reminded of my mother’s reply if anyone said there were two sides to every story.
‘ No, there are three sides. His side, her side, and the truth, which is probably somewhere in between’.

Jaye53 Wed 08-Jul-20 12:58:40

oh dear.Seastar.can't offer you any more than what has been said.very worrying for you (and your Mother in all of this ) .hope you can sort it out.

seastar Wed 08-Jul-20 12:59:17

Sister seems in love with BIL. Sister and my niece ( sister's daughter) banned me via Facebook message. Mum is losing her memory and moved in with my sister. It doesn't appear to be domestic abuse. I think money may be at the bottom of it - inheritance. I went to visit to see mum and sister. BIL didn't join in very much and then said goodnight and went to bed. 30 mins later he was annoyed. We were talking quietly because we knew BIL had gone to bed. Later I commented to sister that I thought BIL was rude and in defending him she banned me from the house. Phoning - they won't answer my calls I write letters but I'm not sure mum understands and she can't write back - arthritis. Facebook I have been blocked. So, I've kept myself to myself. I'm lonely but at least I'm not in any more trouble. I miss my mum. BIL works in day, sister works mainly nights. Sister won't talk to me in day because she says I insulted her husband by saying he was rude. Sister says she is moving soon and won't give me her address. I must be a really horrible person if this is the reaction I've got just by saying he was rude. I agree you only can go on my side of the story but I'm honest and I've told you the facts as they happened.
This all happened well before lockdown. I haven't seen or heard from them now for 1 and a half years. I don't even know if mum is still alive. They have cut themselves off from all the family and none of us speak to each other - a truly toxic family. Such a shame. Thanks for the insights. If gives me another angle to think about. xx thanks

Jaye53 Wed 08-Jul-20 13:00:07

should have read .. (I can't offer you)

FarNorth Wed 08-Jul-20 13:41:36

Oh dear, seastar.

You are not a horrible person. Criticising BiL was not wise but doesn't deserve cutting off.

As that's how it is, I guess you need to put it out of your mind, as well as you can.