Gransnet forums

Relationships

Getting Married

(143 Posts)
janipans Wed 12-Aug-20 17:00:55

We've lived together for about 12 years and just have never got around to getting married. Covid made us sit up and think about the legal side of our relationship (especially as we have been shielding) so we decided to take the plunge and just "get it done" in a quick Registry office ceremony. Something for us to look forward to we thought!
We can only have 2 witnesses though or we would have to wait a further 12 months at least.
We decided it would be nice to have 1 of each of our children - mine agreed readily and quickly decided which of them would do it. My OH's children however have really soured it for us. They wanted us to get married at a later date so all their family could be present. We told them we fully intended to have a proper family celebration when Covid allowed and that this was just the legal bit but that wasn't acceptable to them and all this has left us feeling rather deflated. We just wanted them to be happy for us!
This is our day surely and our decision but we thought that by including them we were doing the right thing! What do you think? Are we being unreasonable?

janipans Mon 17-Aug-20 13:13:26

Just to let you all know, had face to face talk - all resolved and differences settled and our 2 eldest are being witnesses.

Accepted as being a misunderstanding. We are under a lot of stress at the moment and little things and comments can easily get blown up out of proportion

I know 30 ok at the moment for weddings .... but France was also ok for not quarantining and look what happened there! ... so just going along with simple ceremony to "do the deed" and celebration later seems most sensible in these uncertain times. The celebration when it comes will be as special as we can make it - we will all deserve to have something to look forward to and enjoy together by time Covid is properly under control and we will be in the happy position of being able to facilitate a special family gathering.

Chewbacca Mon 17-Aug-20 13:29:18

Ah janipans that's brilliant news, I'm really very pleased that it all worked out in the end. And now you just have the Big Day to look forward to, knowing that everyone's on board and happy! Well done and many best wishes for your wedding day!

TONKATOL Tue 18-Aug-20 00:16:42

janipans, I am so glad you managed to resolve the situation AND managed to keep everyone happy.

For those who are talking about numbers permitted at weddings, I don't think Boris has changed it.

A friend's son got married in a registry office at the end of July and the registry office only permitted the bride, groom and two guests/witnesses.

The same week, a friend's daughter got married at our church. This meant (and I think it is probably the same for a service at a licensed venue other than a registry office) there could be a total of 30 people, including bride, groom, minister/photographer etc. However, the change that Boris announced this week is that those 30 guests are now able to attend a reception, with food and drink served, so long as Covid measures are observed. Prior to this, people could attend the wedding service but were not permitted to have a reception.

Luckygirl Tue 18-Aug-20 08:49:16

Well done - have a happy day!

janipans Thu 10-Sep-20 14:54:56

Well we did it! The 2 eldest children were witnesses and the others were invited to a champagne afternoon tea for 6 at a posh venue. The ceremony took half an hour and my other daughter, my best friend and hubby's DIL waited outside the Registry Office to watch us walk out as Husband and Wife. We had a lovely day, even the sun shone for us. My "husband's" daughter couldn't make it, (so DIL joined us for the afternoon tea with my other daughter). neither did she make a garden visit appearance later as my best friend did so we're a bit upset that she couldn't make a bit of effort considering all the support her dad has given her over the years, but we are happy to have tied the knot at last after many years talking about it.
(DH went onto dialysis just at the beginning of lockdown and has been struggling healthwise and it didn't help that he was worrying himself silly that I wouldn't get his pension if we weren't actually married, so as this was something we always intended to do one day, and with Covid lurking in the background we decided to just do it whilst we can ... gathering our rosebuds as they say!).

FarNorth Thu 10-Sep-20 15:10:49

Congratulations janipans

thankswineflowerswine
sunshinesunshinesunshine

sodapop Thu 10-Sep-20 15:40:45

Congratulations janipan I'm glad you had such a happy day in the end. ❤?

Grandmabatty Thu 10-Sep-20 15:46:36

Congratulations to you both. ??

NotSpaghetti Thu 10-Sep-20 16:05:39

I hope you have a long and happy life together janipan.

52bright Thu 10-Sep-20 16:40:53

Congratulations to you both flowers wine

Marydoll Thu 10-Sep-20 16:45:24

Congratulations from me too!

My daughter was just saying today, she was glad they took the plunge a month ago, in our garden. Things are changing so quickly.
?Be happy!!

vegansrock Thu 10-Sep-20 17:07:14

Congratulations and well done???

midgey Thu 10-Sep-20 17:34:16

Brilliant! Congratulations, wishing you a long and happy marriage.? ?

Sar53 Thu 10-Sep-20 17:41:05

Congratulations to you both, some lovely news in these uncertain times. May you have a very happy life together ??? xx

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 10-Sep-20 17:45:20

Congratulations , so pleased it all went well and that you have happy memories of your day ??

Puzzled Fri 11-Sep-20 16:47:49

Splendid news!
Happy a long and happy time together.

MerylStreep Fri 11-Sep-20 16:59:46

Maybe we might get round to it one day. 42 years together.
Or maybe not ?