Gransnet forums

Relationships

Old age? Affair? Dementia? Confused by DH

(66 Posts)
RavenSummer Sat 15-Aug-20 17:55:56

My DH has had a subtle personality change. There is nothing nasty or distressing about his behaviour other than a very disconcerting feeling that he isn't quite himself.

I can only describe it as him becoming more 'jolly' and more talkative. He keeps making jokes and being upbeat. And pointing things out to me, almost like a toddler. If we're driving and he sees cows in a field, he's pointing at them and saying cows ... and describing them.

It's all a bit odd. As I say, nothing nasty at all and perfectly reasonable behaviour but just not like him. Not that he was miserable before, so the change is fairly subtle but enough to make me uncomfortable.

Examples of chatiness include things like when we were sitting in a restaurant him suddenly asking me where he thought all the people were from. I made a general not sure, but they're clearly tourists response but he seemed to genuinely need to know where from...we eat at this local restaurant about once a week. Never has he wondered where people are from...

And the other night, we watched a film and at the end he launched into a talk about how amazing people who make films are... they can pan in, pan out, cut scenes, add things in ... all very venison bemusing when you've regularly watched films with someone for 40 years.

Getting up this morning as I needed to sort something out. I said I was reluctantly getting up to be met with an energetic 'rise and shine, time to move!'. He's never ever said anything like this before.

So many more examples by he just feels different. Nothing I can criticise him for as it's all perfectly reasonable but so strange.

Hes 68. Perfectly fit. Doesn't even wear glasses. Full time high level job, currently working from home still. Nothing has changed to explain his suddenly happiness.

I bounce between worrying its the start of dementia or an affair ?‍♀️ . Or maybe just old age but stereotypically I'd expect grumpiness not an odd jolly enthusiasm for life.

What do you think wise women?

LilyJ Tue 18-Aug-20 18:01:03

Have a little google of Mild cognitive Impairment..MCI. It is a condition that starts as slightly worse than old age forgetfulness etc but not dementia. Some cases do proceed to dementia but not all, others often live with it for 10,15 years.
I am currently going through this with my husband, a year ago, some behaviors that were “not him” became very noticeable, especially in company. Nothing major, but having always been sociable but ultra polite, it was as though he was not “getting” the conversation and butting in..and not always about what everyone else was talking about, albeit in a quite exciteable manner .which he would never have done before. His short term memory is only slightly affected, but his executive skills - planning, organizing, arranging things on phone etc have very much deteriorated. We recently moved home and bless him, he wasn’t able to help in any way with any of the arrangements. He is an avid crossworder but complains of not being able to find “that last word”.
Having worked with dementia folk for many years, I have been aware of the possibilities of MCI but have chosen to just watch and wait.
2 weeks ago however, another issue raised its head when being very tired, he became stressed /irritable with our grandchildren and raised his voice which has never happened before.
We started to talk about all of the above and he admitted he was getting a little concerned re his memory etc. We realized it was time to look into it and asked Dr for request to memory service. Even if very minor.,at least we will have a base line to work from in the future.
Brain scan yesterday..,awaiting results...

RavenSummer Tue 18-Aug-20 19:11:34

Thank you all. I have tried speaking to him. He just tells me how happy he is. In fact he keeps telling me this randomly out of the blue. And how lucky he is.

I know it seems very odd to complain about this but I can only describe it as him not being him. It's almost like someone I don't quite know suddenly flattering me.

He almost does seem a little drunk but isn't secretly drinking. He drinks openly in the evenings in front of me - not to an extent his behaviour is affected.

It's just very strange and unsettling.

Sorry no idea about the venison, I think my phone added an extra word in!

SunnySusie Tue 18-Aug-20 20:10:51

Perhaps another conversation asking him why he is so happy, lucky etc. He might be able to explain i.e. it could be because of the times we are living in and he has realised how good it is to be alive and healthy, or maybe he has a new perspective on work. If he can produce a rational and believable explanation you can celebrate. If not it might be something to monitor. A friends husband developed frontotemporal dementia and in the early stages he was bursting with energy and the joys of life in an out of character way. Its a fairly rare type of dementia so hopefully its the former scenario with your DH.

welbeck Tue 18-Aug-20 20:33:01

i wouldn't question him too closely.
after all whatever it is, if it is something serious, nothing will be gained by alarming him and destroying his happy mood.

CaledoniaC Tue 18-Aug-20 22:23:06

Harrigan: Please see you GP ASAP!

RavenSummer Wed 19-Aug-20 13:50:22

SunnySusie

Perhaps another conversation asking him why he is so happy, lucky etc. He might be able to explain i.e. it could be because of the times we are living in and he has realised how good it is to be alive and healthy, or maybe he has a new perspective on work. If he can produce a rational and believable explanation you can celebrate. If not it might be something to monitor. A friends husband developed frontotemporal dementia and in the early stages he was bursting with energy and the joys of life in an out of character way. Its a fairly rare type of dementia so hopefully its the former scenario with your DH.

This sounds unfortunately similar.

He's not more of his usual type of happy, he's an energetic jolly version of it. It feels awkward, like he's a stranger almost, albeit a very happy one.

But he thinks nothing is wrong.

FarNorth Wed 19-Aug-20 14:30:55

Have a chat with his GP.
They can't discuss him with you but can listen to your concerns.

Shropshirelass Thu 20-Aug-20 08:56:27

My DH keeps on telling me about TV programmes he has just watched, nothing wrong with that (apart from being uninteresting which is why I didn't watch them!) except that he does it while I am trying to watch my programme! Infuriating! He is also child like in his wonder about everyday things and overly concerned about news events. He is also very forgetful, he never used to be, and is being referred to a memory clinic, he is only 62 so rather a worry!

SJ23 Thu 20-Aug-20 10:43:08

Sorry to say this but it sounds like could be early dementia - my mum was like this, started in a very subtle way with rather banal comments and questions, that sounded quite logical but a bit 'off' and not quite normal for her. She also became very jolly and unbothered by things that used to worry her, which is of course all to the good - the thing is you can't really get a definite diagnosis till it's much more pronounced, just have to go with it and accept we all have some sort of decline as time goes on. It could come and go so watch and wait is my advice for what it's worth.

Madmaggie Fri 21-Aug-20 18:36:42

RavenSummer, has he been on a mindfulness course and therefore appreciating all that he sees maybe?
It does sound a bit weird though I must admit. Not wishing to be flippant but perhaps now would be a good time to ask for something he has previously dug in his heels over. Have you tried subtly mirroring him and see what reaction, if any, that generates in him? I do wish you peace of mind and luck.

Esspee Fri 21-Aug-20 18:51:49

RavenSummer Please consult his doctor. Think how you would feel if, in the future, you were told that had this been diagnosed earlier something could have been done but it was now too late.

honeyrose Fri 21-Aug-20 20:16:05

Hi RavenSummer. I hope this turns out to be simply good mood due to appreciating things more during lockdown, but you are obviously concerned, otherwise you wouldn’t be asking for advice on Gransnet. There are some medications that can slow things down if your DH is starting to show signs of some form of dementia, so best not to delay. I sincerely hope he’s just displaying a good mood, but best to get DH checked.

melp1 Sat 22-Aug-20 13:45:57

Do you want to swap him for my Mr Grumpy? He sounds delightful! smile

Sparkling Mon 24-Aug-20 06:48:08

Raven, I woukd just enjoy and cherish the man he is now, he sounds lovely.
Maggie, you have the right to live on your own, it's never too late. If the love has gone and you don't get on, its no way to live. Just try to remain friends if you can, because of what you used to mean to each other.

Horti Thu 27-Aug-20 07:18:16

My husband in mid sixties is showing similar behaviour eg childlike -counting the ducks in a pond etc
My DD the other day thought his conversation was weird for similar reasons
He shows off a lot too which can be embarrassing and can be very aggressive
His mother had vascular dementia later in life
She ultimately forgot to get angry which was a bonus !
At this stage difficult to know if just a family/conversational trait or early signs -something to think about!