Gransnet forums

Relationships

Can't do this marriage anymore

(81 Posts)
Maddy68 Wed 02-Sep-20 15:23:30

I need some wisdom here...I have tried my best for the past fifteen years but I can't do this anymore. My husband is not the person I thought he was and as Covid has gone on, I can no longer remain in this relationship for the sake of my own sanity and health (I am his fourth wife). I am so sad that I wasted my time on him. It was and is only about him to the point where I am terribly depressed, can't sleep and actually dread his waking up and coming downstairs; it makes my stomach hurt to be around him I resent him so much. He didn't keep any of his promises that he made when he retired (he has mental issues and health issues) and seems to think I exist only to serve him. I have tried so hard and am terrified to make a change at this age and stage of life with everything going on in the world; life is so hard right now for everyone! But I am losing myself horribly in all this at this point and have to make a change now, not later. My son moved back home due to job loss and if it weren't for him and Covid I would have already left I think. It is complicated, my husband is 18 years older than me and he is not my son's father. It would be me that has to leave and go somewhere else I think. I don't really have anywhere else to go and have been mostly a housewife this past decade. It is all so hard and horribly disappointing. I feel so used and taken advantage of as well as just plain stupid that I couldn't see what this relationship was really about. I am not a doormat! I have to pick myself up and move on but am so scared I just don't have it in me at this point. I go round and round with this. I am so unhappy at this point I don't think I am even afraid to be alone anymore, just afraid I won't be able to support myself.

Sarnia Fri 04-Sep-20 09:18:36

Get some professional advice first. You need to get all your ducks in a row and know exactly what you are entitled to financially from this marriage before taking the next step. Life is short so don't live it like this. I divorced my husband on mental cruelty grounds and although things were tough at times, bringing up 5 children on my own, the freedom from him was worth it. Put things in motion now and enjoy the rest of your life.

Jani31 Sat 05-Sep-20 12:09:18

When OH went off the rails, he moved out after a half hour free session with a lawyer curtesy of CAB. 3 choices, legal separation, divorce or a no hassles or worry separation. When the house he was renting came up for sale, he wanted a divorce. I told him half the house and half his pension. I had the house, he had his pension. 7 years later, no divorce and he died. His house and pension became mine. Our daughters did very well and started on the property ladder. We found out after his death that most of his problems were ill health.

cupaffull Sun 06-Sep-20 14:59:55

Maddy68

Thank you so much to everyone for all the wonderful responses, excellent suggestions and lovely support. I will be rereading your messages over this week and in the months to come as I make plans to leave and move on in my life. I appreciate it being pointed out that abuse is not always physical. I have had a hard time seeing that in the past and told myself it wasn't that bad but the cumulative effects of dealing with his problems and the way he lives his life can only be called emotionally abusive and controlling. So, I am going to take what all have said and put something into play here and will give status reports as time goes on lol. Hopefully by this time next year, God willing, I will be able to post pics of me in my new place; happy and free! Thank you to all!

Just checking that you are progessing matters and you are not being dragged further down into depression. flowers

Pavlova65 Mon 07-Sep-20 09:11:17

There is so much wisdom in this thread. I hope you are ok Maddy. Two weeks ago I left a marriage of 32 years that had always been emotionally abusive. I was so scared to leave, but I could see I wasn't going to live much longer if I stayed as I was suicidal and had stopped taking care of myself.

At times I have been overwhelmed with panic, guilt and misery since I left, but I am gradually getting better. Today I just felt so sad that I wasted so many years of my life with someone as mean as my ex. I could have been with someone who loved me instead and been happy, but I chose badly when young and once in the clutches of my ex I became so ground down and felt so worthless I couldn't see a way to leave.

I am really happy to read this thread and find women, who have left marriages like mine, who have thrived since. I wonder what percentage of men behave like my ex. No one would have guessed he was such a tyrant at home, he was always sociable and supportive to everyone else but me.

oodles Mon 07-Sep-20 18:09:49

Just another thing, make a will leaving anything you have to your son, a solicitor will help you word it so that it is understood to be in anticipation of leaving the relationship
When I did that I had to split the joint tenancy and they do let him know if the house is jointly owned so make sure that you have things in hand before you do it, but do do the will x