Gransnet forums

Relationships

Spending time together

(62 Posts)
Sophiasnana Wed 14-Oct-20 21:33:43

I dont know whether I have a problem or not. My husband and I have been married for over 30 years, both in our sixties and have a happy marriage, apart from the fact we like completely different things on tv. The upshot is, every night of the week, for the last ten years or so, we sit in different rooms, watching different things on tv! Sometimes I think its ok, then friends talk about snuggling up watching films together, and it makes me sad. I also think of how one of us will be alone in the future, and will we regret not spending the time together? Any advice?

Soozikinzi Fri 16-Oct-20 16:40:01

We have certain things we watch together ie crime stuff and Netflix series and certain things we watch separately ie family dramas for me and YouTube lectures for him which works fine . If this is working for you then b why change it ? You could go n the internet while he’s watching something to be in the same room I suppose? Maybe you’ll find a genre you both like ? But if it ain’t not broke why fix it ?

GreenGran78 Fri 16-Oct-20 16:44:00

As long as you spend some time together, and have a good relationship, there’s nothing wrong with ‘doing your own thing’, though it’s good to find some programmes that you can watch together.
Neither of us used to watch a lot of tv, until DH had a stroke. He then became an addict of old tv series. He especially liked many of the old comedies. Only Fools and Horses was a favourite, but he was also addicted to Mash and Sharpe..
I enjoyed peace and quiet until he got up, usually around 10am. Then the tv was switched on, and remained so until his bedtime.

It was his only pleasure, so I simply tuned it out. Now that he’s gone I’m back to not watching a lot. I record some programmes that I like - quizzes, antiques, history and gardening mainly, and watch them when I’m in the mood.
It took me some time to get used to the silence, after I was left on my own, but I enjoy it now.

V3ra Fri 16-Oct-20 17:23:28

I wanted the wall between our lounge and dining-kitchen taking down to make an open-plan room that we could fit a bigger dining table in for entertaining.
My husband's main objection was, "What about when we want to sit in separate rooms and watch different television programmes?"
I told him that wasn't my main aim in life. I got my way and everyone absolutely loves the room, it's so much brighter with light coming in both ends and a great view of the garden.
He invariably falls asleep after ten minutes of any programme he claims to want to watch anyway, so I just quietly change the channel!

Ramblinggran Fri 16-Oct-20 17:59:33

Are the friends really cuddling up watching a film? Or are they saying that because it sounds good? You can't believe everything. Carry on enjoying life as it suits you and you DH. There is no right and wrong about how we live our lives.

Kryptonite Fri 16-Oct-20 18:45:55

We usually watch what I want. Some things we both enjoy. We quite like to choose a film at the weekend, though hard sometimes to agree on genre! Husband watches what he wants on his gadget later (separate bedrooms).

crimpedhalo Fri 16-Oct-20 22:01:14

This is our life. But it's not bad to accept in life that we have different tastes. I record programmes that we are both interested in and watch at a convenient time. He sits watching his futuristic/vampire or 'shooty bang' films while I watch documentaries. He's at the pc at one end of the lounge with headphones and I'm down down tuther end with the tv.
We are retirees and married for 47 years so something has to give ??. I'm the fat controller?

Kartush Fri 16-Oct-20 23:36:19

We always spend the evenings together, we have one tv and mostly my husband picks what we watch but I dont really mind as I have my ipad and if the programme is really boring i will put the earphones on and watch netflix. We have very different likes in movies and tv but I can watch anything. If there is something on that I particularly want to watch I just tell him its on and we will watch that and he will play on his tablet. It all works out.

phantom12 Sat 17-Oct-20 19:10:34

My husband and I are just the same. He is into football and other sports so I have a TV in our bedroom where I watch what I want to. We do come together a few nights each week for things like Gardener's World. I prefer it this way as he can be so restless that I can't relax if I am watching something that he doesn't like. He wouldn't dream of watching Strictly or I'm a celebrity so I watch them upstairs and either write my Christmas cards or wrap presents at the same time.

maydonoz Sun 25-Oct-20 17:13:28

Yes we too have different tastes in TV viewing, my DH likes the old black & white films and 60's/70's programs, while I like to watch all things medical, from nursing background.
Most evenings one of us, usually DH retires upstairs to watch tv in our bedroom. I stay downstairs until 10 ish when we perhaps watch the News together.
This suits us both very well with 43 years of mostly bliss behind us!
If I were you Sophiasnana I would just carry on doing what works for both of you and not worry about your friends' arrangements.

Granb3 Mon 26-Oct-20 03:16:26

We had this prob and it sort of grew but then I suggested Sat night pic! He gets to pick something I don’t usually care for and I have to watch it, war films action movies and the like. Then I get to pick, thrillers and horrors mostly. we talk about them afterwards and discuss what bits we liked and didn’t and it’s kind of grown. I now look for things that I know he will enjoy (still falls asleep a lot though but he does that with his own pics) and he’s now tamed down the car chase action ones down and is choosing fast paced thrillers. I think we can forget how to reach each other sometimes.

Txquiltz Mon 26-Oct-20 03:50:45

On the 29 th we will have 52 years together. I love having my space while he enjoys his for evening tv. I usually read instead. We do agree on one show when we go to bed and watch it together. We are currently working our way through Miss Marple episodes. They are great.