Gransnet forums

Relationships

Grown up daughter another forgotten birthday

(157 Posts)
Pumpkinpie Sun 07-Mar-21 21:39:57

I’m not someone who craves expensive gifts. I have always preferred time both Given or received
But I am very sad today
It was my husband’s birthday & once again our daughter forgot or ignored it. No phone call . No card . No drive by lockdown wave - she lives 10 minutes away with her family
This is the second year she’s done this. I always remember the grandkids , hers and her husband but there is no effort
If I say anything about anything I’m a passive aggressive
I can’t win
All her dad said tonight was I thought Dd would ring . He looks so hurt it breaks my heart

jkenn Wed 10-Mar-21 18:35:43

I was on holiday visiting my dad we were driving along the road and I mentioned I had turned 30 today. He nearly drove off the road, I was his first born.

It makes me laugh when I think about it. As for himself I used say hey dad its your birthday tomorrow. It was just one of those things. If its happened before maybe its just one of those things you have to learn to live with. Without seeming cheesy just maybe accept her love is enough.

Glenco Thu 11-Mar-21 08:36:40

Are you and your dd on Facebook? My daughter sometimes seems to forget about us (although our 3 sons never do!) so I put a post I found on FB about parents not being here for ever. I can't find it now, but they come up from time to time. I posted it and my dd asked if that was meant for her. I asked her if the cap fitted. I think it sank in a little bit.

bobbydog24 Thu 11-Mar-21 09:00:44

I was brought up from a young age to send cards. My husbands family didn’t and he was surprised but delighted when we married, that he got birthday cards from members of my family. We all know each other’s birthdays and my AC and nieces and nephews all send birthday cards. I know some families don’t and that’s fine if it’s understood as normal for them but to not send two years running without explanation is hurtful. Did she send cards to her dad in the past? Describing OP as passive aggressive for raising the fact is a bit of an overreaction and sounds as though she didn’t like being told and felt embarrassed. I would definitely let her know how upset her father was. Little tokens that we are being thought of mean a lot.

Ydoc Thu 11-Mar-21 10:38:38

I think that's very selfish. So inconsiderate no excuse for that. I don't care how "busy" ac like to say they are these days there are some things you automatically make time for. Funny how no matter how busy I was mum and dad were never forgotten seems today is very different sadly.

Gummie Thu 11-Mar-21 12:20:41

I think given that most of us are going through these horrible times with very little we can do about it, it’s more important that we remember these little things that are so easy to do.

A simple text or phone call would have generated a little bit of happiness. Instead someone is unnecessarily hurt which could so easily have been avoided.

JdotJ Mon 15-Mar-21 08:13:58

I would 'forget' her birthday next year and if she says anything, remind her that she 'doesn't do birthdays'