Gransnet forums

Relationships

My Son Knows Everything

(81 Posts)
WhiteRabbit57 Mon 08-Mar-21 11:08:44

My son is twenty eight and he knows everything, literally everything. He really believes he is an expert on every single subject.

I'm intelligent, well read, I know more about current affairs than he does, for certain, but everything I say, on any subject is returned with sneers of derision. My husband watches in disbelief, but neither of us feel we can fight back for fear of ruining our relationship and losing contact with our grandchildren.

A while back I tried to talk to my son about it, but there really is no way in, he just knows better on every level - even human relationships. His wife backs him him all the time so no 'in' there.

I am really depressed, I try to tell myself that 'these things will pass' eventually, but the last time they came round he cut me off mid-sentence to tell me my contribution to the conversation was trivial. I have been so upset.

Does anyone have any advice?

BelindaB Mon 15-Mar-21 11:34:48

Have you tried LAUGHING at him? I would - long and loud.
What you describe is derisory and disrespectful - an overused word but applicable in this instance.

The boy is a fool and you should tell him so.

I would not tolerate this from any of my (adult) children.

Blossoming Mon 15-Mar-21 12:18:16

Smile indulgently and say”Bless” every time he offers an opinion.

NotSpaghetti Mon 15-Mar-21 14:00:37

Where is WhiteRabbit?

mercedez Sat 20-Mar-21 09:57:00

Just say “whatever” in a disinterested sort of way, that’s what kids say to grownups. He will soon work it out if you say it enough times! Of course we are not young enough to know everything are we?

ClareAB Sat 20-Mar-21 19:29:54

Why can you not debate with him like grown ups? It's perfectly possible to have different views, know different facts and discuss them. It can be fun. If people get angry, or give/take it personally then take a time out. He's only 28, it's amazing how much more aware we become of our ignorance as we get older and humbler. That doesn't mean being a door mat. Everyone can have their personal views, but facts is facts...