Gransnet forums

Relationships

Red flag/Dealbreaker

(156 Posts)
ILE35 Sat 17-Apr-21 08:05:07

After being on my own for about 7 years I briefly went on a couple dating sites. I got talking to one guy in particular who seems chatty and friendly and interested in similar things to myself.

He’s phoned and video chatted regularly and seems lovely so we arranged to go a walk which went well, followed by a further walking date yesterday. We were together for about 5 hours just walking and chatting.

As we headed back to our cars he out of the blue asked me how I was for money to which I replied that I was ok. He then proceeded to ask me if I could loan him £20 for petrol as he’s struggling at the minute and wasn’t sure if he’d get home! I was so taken aback but to avoid awkwardness I gave him it.

He’s been furloughed on full pay for a year and claims to always be busy doing diy jobs so I’d have thought should have enough money to see himself through the month.

When I got home there were messages thanking me and saying I’ll get it back on Monday and how much he enjoyed our day and couldn’t wait to see me again.

I’ve slept on it and feel any attraction towards this guy is dwindling fast. Would others feel the same or agree to meet again and give him a chance?

I kinda feel like saying keep the £20 and calling it a day ?

LuckyFour Sat 17-Apr-21 10:44:05

Most people have a credit or debit card they can use these days, and not many rely on cash. I wonder why he had neither cash or cards he could use for petrol. It might be worth asking him (in a kind way) what his situation is and why he had to borrow the money. I would be curious if nothing else. Does he own a house, car etc. You will be able to detect if he is telling you the truth. If you feel he isn't then walk away.

HiPpyChick57 Sat 17-Apr-21 10:45:22

Kick him into touch! This is just the slippery slope to asking you for larger and larger amounts.
I wonder just how many others he has on the go. Don’t think you are the only one!
You’re wise to see through him this early on.

Periwinkle Sat 17-Apr-21 10:50:08

Maybe he’ll borrow £20 from another date over the weekend ?

Nannashirlz Sat 17-Apr-21 10:52:05

I’d say follow your gut feeling. I do. Unfortunately some ppl are out not looking for love only your cash. I had a work friend who went through something similar. Walk away before you get into deep. I’ve being on few dating sites and Ive even being in long term relationship with someone but he cheated on me with someone else online. So I’ve given up on men lol now it’s about me and my family and grandkids.

joysutty Sat 17-Apr-21 10:52:39

Meet up once more time only to see if he pays you back or even then asks for another twenty pounds. Then once you get/have your answer - you can end it or continue knowing whether it was a genuine request !! You will be rest assured then.

Juicylucy Sat 17-Apr-21 10:56:36

Another red flag if he doesn’t get paid for another 10 days how can he pay you back Monday. What if your one of many that’s he’s meeting up with and doing the same to them. Go with your gut instinct, and get rid.

leeds22 Sat 17-Apr-21 10:57:35

Alarm bells would ring for me too. Are you a member of a walking group? Lots of nice people to walk and chat with.

Yellowmellow Sat 17-Apr-21 11:01:44

An absolute no. You want someone who enriches your life and I don't mean financially. A taste of things to come. The man has no pride to ask a woman he doesn't hardly know for money. I'm not surprised your attraction (and no doubt respect) for him has wained. Walk the other way as fast as you can. There are plenty of nice people out there. I would join some social groups and look for friends first.

Peff68 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:01:47

Definitely agree with all on this thread, but I would say don’t give up on dating they’re not all bad! Good luck ?

JaneA Sat 17-Apr-21 11:02:19

Could be a millionaire, just testing if you trust him ?

Annaram1 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:02:48

Don't date a poor man.

rafichagran Sat 17-Apr-21 11:05:30

Alarm bells for me also. I would end this as well. I would chalk this one up to experience. You have lost £20 but will be on your guard in future which is no bad thing.
Also where is his dignity, he meets a woman he has not met before, is nosey about her finances and asks for money. He is a chancer, and has no scruples. Even if he gave the money back, I would still not see him.

TanaMa Sat 17-Apr-21 11:06:01

Be on your GUARD!! There have been many cases on TV and in the newspapers of both men and women being 'romance scammed'. Some of them have lost thousands of pounds, people you would have thought would have known better. It always starts with an insignificant amount!!

LuckyDuck Sat 17-Apr-21 11:06:51

Please don`t have anything more to do with him, you can bet that this request for money will encourage him to ask you again and again along with the sob stories. Kick him into touch immediately! He may pay you back the £20 with the idea that he can ask again for larger amounts and then the repayments will stop.

Rondetto Sat 17-Apr-21 11:08:16

NO!!!!!!! £20 turns into £50 and then £100. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teddy123 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:09:10

I wouldn't have given him a fiver! I'd have suggested he used his credit card. Everyone has one.

I'm sure he would have returned the £20 when he said but that's the catch. You read about this type of con all the time. Just block him on your phone, any dating site or social media.

Everyone I know has more money in the bank since Covid! Nowhere to spend it!

A good lesson to learn!

NannyJan53 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:10:43

I agree with LuckyDuck, there will be further requests down the line. This is indeed a huge red flag!

Kestrel Sat 17-Apr-21 11:10:47

This may be one of his money making schemes over lockdown - £20 from every date - 5 dates a week.....

JustMe Sat 17-Apr-21 11:11:41

Appalling!

How can he be doing DIY jobs with no money?

The minute he said 'how are you for money' would have me answering 'what on earth is that to do with you?' and walking away!
I've read too many stories of people being taken in by these sort of scammers.
Ditch him pronto!

Unigran4 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:11:57

I would say that you probablywill get it back, but that's how grooming starts. Borrowing small amounts and paying them back so that he appears "trustworthy", but the amounts will get larger ("Come on, you know I always pay you back") and then...

Definitely nip it in the bud now. Good luck.

jenwren Sat 17-Apr-21 11:12:56

RED FLAGS Just NOOOO

I met my husband to be online, there are decent ones out there because you are decent. Thank goodness you have realised now and unlike some of the horror stories I have read which have lost hundreds of thousands.

Good luck and on the next date dont take your purse with you x

Shanavine Sat 17-Apr-21 11:13:00

Don't give up dating it will proof fruitful eventually.
Just a numbers game at the start.
Took me 10 dates to meet the right one.

Startingover61 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:20:26

Definitely call it a day. When I started dating my now ex husband many years ago, I discovered he was about £10 overspent on his credit card. I should have seen that as a red light but I didn’t. Fast forward to a few years ago when I divorced him, and he was £1000s of pounds in debt and maxed up on a few credit cards. I’d also spent a couple of grand of my own money on a private operation for him. He was so skint that his current wife - the woman he left me for - paid the decree nisi costs when I claimed them. She may well be subsidising him now. I’ve no idea and I really don’t care.

Startingover61 Sat 17-Apr-21 11:21:35

Sorry, ‘red flag’ not ‘red light’!!

naughtynanny Sat 17-Apr-21 11:25:09

It's so disappointing when things like this happen. I think that if the guy knew he was meeting you, he should have been prepared. What would have happened if you'd come across a coffee shop/takeway and had suggested getting a drink. TBHonest, I'd text him, and put him right, and point out that just by that one incident, you realise he's not for you, maybe that will give him a wake-up call.......and
You are worth more than a bloke who needs to borrow £20 for petrol on a first date.