Gransnet forums

Relationships

Wedding

(58 Posts)
TrishJ Mon 19-Apr-21 19:35:50

Some help here please. Our ex Son in law has invited us to his wedding, which is just close family. We have always been very close and supported him as well as our daughter. He new wife to be is lovely and we get on well with her. My problem is that I don’t feel that it’s right to go to the wedding. I feel that it’s a new start for him and that the wedding should just be their parents and siblings and ex in laws. I somehow just don’t feel comfortable going. They are having a blessing a couple of days later and have invited us to that as well as the party after. I would feel more comfortable going to that. What do you think?

Eloethan Tue 20-Apr-21 23:08:25

Grannyrose I feel like you - if someone has invited me, they want me there and I am happy that they do, so I will go, even if I have some misgivings.

In this case I would certainly go, provided I was sure my daughter would not be hurt if I did.

mumofmadboys Wed 21-Apr-21 07:29:45

I went to a wedding where the bride had been married before ( divorce). She was given away by her first FIL. It was very moving as they obviously regarded her like a DD. Her first H had gone off with someone else.

kwest Wed 21-Apr-21 08:33:21

Go with your gut feeling. Personally I would not go because the new marriage is about looking forward. I cannot imagine what either set of bride or groom's parents would be feeling deep down about you being there, but it could be "back off, its time to let go and move on."

springishere Wed 21-Apr-21 11:27:12

Do you have grandchildren, who will be there as their father remarries?

Katie59 Wed 21-Apr-21 12:40:04

I would wish him well but decline the invitation it’s far too easy to affect the relationship with your daughter

Craftycat Wed 21-Apr-21 13:55:39

He has asked you so he must want you there.
We have a brilliant relationship with my son's ex wife & are very fond of her.
My son is now also on great terms with her although it took a while. So much better for the children!
Go to the wedding & be glad you are on good terms with him.

justwokeup Thu 22-Apr-21 07:46:04

I think this is all about GC. If there are some, obviously DD won’t be there to look after them so you would be a familiar person for them from that side of the family. If there are no GC involved then I’d send very good wishes and a gift but I wouldn’t go to the wedding itself.