Gransnet forums

Relationships

Sex life over

(110 Posts)
JulesSquirrel Wed 13-Apr-22 20:22:28

Hello. I’m wondering how to explain to my husband without hurting his feelings that I no longer wish to have sex. Appreciate any wisdom from anyone who’s been through this. Thank you ??

evgeniaalex Thu 28-Apr-22 21:31:09

Getting your sexual relationship on track in a relationship is very important. I just feel for the guy that way and there are so many ways to diversify your sex life. I like most of all to buy different sexy clothes and there are a lot of examples of where to buy. It is worth to pay your attention to those things in which you will be most comfortable.

Jaxjacky Thu 28-Apr-22 21:34:51

Reported

Esspee Fri 29-Apr-22 06:44:11

Why did you report evgeniaalex’s post Jaxjacky?

You do understand that reporting a post is not a way of indicating you don’t agree with the poster. It is for advertising spam, offensive posts, misinformation and breaking the rules.

Puzzled Fri 13-May-22 12:24:53

Although you love your husband, and obviously he loves you, to tell him that you no longer wish to have sex with him, will hurt him deeply; and he will wonder why.

As the years pass, desire does diminish. The every day of early marriage will give become once a week when you are seventy. Unless it is very painful for you because of dryness, atrophy, rheumatism or whatever, my advice is don't stop.
Explain your feelings to him.
If it seems to have become boring, than you can buy books that will give you ideas. You can try new things, times, places positions, so that you both feel a thrill.
If all else fails, do devote time to kissing, cuddling, fondling and displays of affection and your body, to show that you love him.
Turning off the tap could be disastrous for both of you.
In any case, sex is good for you, mentally and physically, and can help delay the onset of dementia.

kircubbin2000 Fri 13-May-22 13:01:35

Do you need to actually tell him if you think he will be upset?As it doesnt happen often why not make an excuse of sleeping in the spare room . He will soon get the message.

Puzzled Sun 15-May-22 15:20:20

If you love each other, you can give each lots of pleasure without PIV, and without the upset of saying "That's over".

He will almost certainly enjoy looking, and touching, as well as being touched.
You can use your hands and mouth to give each other pleasure.
And, if you wish, sex toys can enhance pleasure for both of you.
This is definitely a case where giving can be as enjoyable as receiving. And you can spend as long over it as you wish, whenever, and within reason, wherever.
Remember, love will find a way!

AmberSpyglass Sun 15-May-22 16:13:21

Absolutely agree with what Puzzled said. Sex between straight couples can often default to penetration, and most women rarely come from that alone. You say you’re happy to be physically affectionate - what happens if you broaden your definition of what sex could be?

seadragon Sun 29-May-22 16:51:20

Granny23

During the menopause I was subject to week long spells of heavy bleeding, which could have put an end to our love life but did not. I developed many ways of giving him pleasure without vaginal intercourse. This made him and me happy, as loving him dearly, his pleasure was my pleasure - just like often making him his favourite meals while having something different myself.

Once the menopause was over, things returned to normal with the addition of our new repertoire to spice things up.

Well said, @Granny23!

Puzzled Mon 30-May-22 16:55:48

+1 for @Granny23 and seadragon.
We are all different, with different levels of drive and preferences, at a particular time of life..
A loving couple communicate what they want, need or are prepared to accept, in terms what, when and where.
What would be too much for one might not be enough for another.
So each couple should find a compromise over their love making, to give and receive as much pleasure as possible.
Sometimes doing a favourite thing, (music, meal, whatever) might open the door for something more romantic.
It would be sad to lose PIV, but if there are medical reasons, other techniques can be found for mutual satisfaction.