Gransnet forums

Relationships

husband doesn't like my baking...

(130 Posts)
spabbygirl Thu 09-Mar-23 11:24:35

I retired last yr 2 yrs before husband & thought I'd take up bread & cake baking & imagined myself loading up the table with all sorts of baked goodies that would be eagerly scoffed by my husband, we never get visitors as kids live to far away. But I'm not a good cook and lots of my sourdough has not been good & during a family meal out recently when I was considering buying a new sourdough book (I love books) he winced and said I cook unusual different things that he didn't always like. I knew this cos he's just walked past so many bakes I've made & never eaten them & they get chucked out. I do add part wholemeal flour and less sugar cos it's better for my IBS which I have painstainkenly explained to him many times but I am so upset about it. I only want to just cook him lemon drizzle cake with lashings of sugar & white flour cos it's not good for me, though I do bake his stuff sometimes & I just feel that all my good intentions are rejected. I have been poorly & low lately & the timing isn't good but now I'm really hurt. am I overreacting????

twiglet77 Sun 12-Mar-23 14:18:28

*experiment together

Willow68 Sun 12-Mar-23 14:19:25

Seems more to do with only having baking and husband in life. Join a group or go on cookery baking course. We all
Like different foods and it should y really bother you that much that husband doesnt like some of your baking. Get enjoyment out of it .

Forlornhope Sun 12-Mar-23 14:40:51

Spabbygirl - it took twenty five years into our marriage to fully realise DH preferred shop bought cakes and ready meals. I’ve got over the hurt, given away or thrown the cake tins, casserole dishes and pans, and leave him to buy what he fancies these days. Frankly I think I was a fool for not realising and hanging up the pinny sooner. I had had plenty of good responses to my cooking in the past to know I was at least a half decent cook. I take a ‘been there, done that’, I’d rather spend time on other things that I enjoy.

sandelf Sun 12-Mar-23 14:56:54

I know this feels horrible to you. But it is not a healthy hobby - and you are getting a bit too invested in earning his praise - not good for you. Learn one or two easy things you really like - and move on. (Google 'feeder' Yiddish Momma etc and you will see the emotional side of all this - he will resent pressure to eat). Join anything - gardening club, WI, etc etc - there will be opportunities to bake for their events and fund raisers so you can use your home hobby in support of learning, doing another enjoyable thing, making friends, widening social circle. It's a bad time of year - Spring soon, hope you feel happier soon.

greenlady102 Sun 12-Mar-23 15:02:47

I kind of think that the actual baking is not the issue....its that "loading up the table with baked goodies" image.....makes me think that there is more to it that his not liking your baking....

overthehill Sun 12-Mar-23 15:04:23

When I first read this I thought it said "my husband doesn't like my BANKING "

Jzpap Sun 12-Mar-23 15:17:13

How mean!!

queenofsaanich69 Sun 12-Mar-23 16:41:28

I would have been hurt too,definitely the ingredients,why not make cupcakes and then have fun decorating them ( just for you) cake decorating is fun and you can practice on grease proof paper.You can find any recipe you want for baking on you tube then just follow along that should help,good luck.

Scotgirlnick Sun 12-Mar-23 16:51:44

Ive noticed the cake baking thing at my church. Certain people were known for providing lovely bakes for refreshments afterwards. As they got older they began to find it more of a chore and some became too frail to get to church. I used to love eating these cakes, but now Im trying to lose weight for my health and cant really afford to eat a big calorie laden extra. I'm really pleased that we have cakes less often now and I can resist shop bought biscuits more readily. I think more and more people are more careful especially as they age to try and resist temptation. So if you want to bake you will need to find an outlet.

happycatholicwife1 Sun 12-Mar-23 17:47:07

NotTooOld, what a nice comment. Good for you!

ElaineRI55 Sun 12-Mar-23 18:13:54

Totally understand you wanting to do something to bring pleasure to you both when you retired and had more time on your hands. It hasn't worked out the way you planned, but you're in control of what you do next. If you don't want to abandon the baking, maybe experiment a little more and try to find a small number of baked items that one or both of you like and can freeze ok(savoury or scones etc might be a compromise?). Even better if they are things which can be sliced or frozen in small/individual portions. You can then choose when you feel like dipping in. Maybe chat to your husband about other things one or both of you have fancied doing but didn't have time to do when you worked. gardening( even if you've just got a balcony), sewing, woodwork (not just for men), photography or whatever. Possibly volunteering would help you to feel better about using the free time you have. Don't let the dream of a mound of perfect baking become your main focus or a cause of friction - you take control and find new things to enjoy. All the best.

Yammy Sun 12-Mar-23 18:15:32

Hand the cooking over to him, let him go shopping and go out.
If you don't like what he cooks, cook something you do like.
You both need to tolerate each other. He isn't your new hobby but you could easily find one that you like and maybe he would have a nice meal waiting when you got in.

glammagran Sun 12-Mar-23 18:35:51

MawtheMerrier

Tell him you hear what he is saying and that you intend to take up crocheting instead

Blimey Maw I don’t know which one to choose. And I’m not referring to the crocheted clothing. 😜

pooohbear2811 Sun 12-Mar-23 18:47:25

I find baking very therapeutic, it relaxes me and I enjoy it. When the children were young I used to spend a Tuesday in the kitchen making home made bread and varying different goodies every week. I never made tea that night the children would all indulge and there was often something left to do another night after tea.
Rarely do it now as hubby is diabetic and I am dairy free and all the children left home years ago.
Agree with the others look for something that interests you, gets you out of the house and gives you pleasure. I attend a few local groups a week, crafting and free lunch one day and a knit and natter another day.

oodles Sun 12-Mar-23 18:54:04

You can bake with wholemeal flour, not everything is as good but many things are. The flour needs to be fresh though,so don't buy so much st a time
Don't throw what has been rejected away, offer it on olio

kevincharley Sun 12-Mar-23 20:00:08

If the roles were reversed would you eat his baking, that you didn't like, just to keep him happy?
Of course not!

Tanjamaltija Sun 12-Mar-23 20:01:29

He won't walk past the lemon drizzle cake. So make him that, and make the sourdough things for yourself. That is all.

Deedaa Sun 12-Mar-23 20:08:16

If you are new to baking I think Sourdough probably isn't the thing to start with. Why not try some biscuits? Lots of nice recipes around, they don't tend to need fancy ingredients and are very quick to cook. If you get the timing wrong most of them will survive being a bit overcooked. Most of them will keep for ages in an airtight container so you won't need to chuck them out.

jenwren Sun 12-Mar-23 21:03:20

I use gluton free self raising flour and gluton free plain flour

2mason16 Sun 12-Mar-23 21:28:08

If your husband isn't keen on baked goods and you have IBS put your efforts into healthy savoury meals. Much healthier for you and you can batch bake when you're in the mood. Good luck xx

RVK1CR Sun 12-Mar-23 21:45:57

Willow68

Seems more to do with only having baking and husband in life. Join a group or go on cookery baking course. We all
Like different foods and it should y really bother you that much that husband doesnt like some of your baking. Get enjoyment out of it .

Agree with this^^ see what courses Adult Education have. Stick to the recipe, they are usually tweaked to perfection by those with experience. It is not called Domestic Science for nothing

Saggi Mon 13-Mar-23 07:24:18

I spent 50 years trying to please a husband that couldn’t care less whether I’d made it or it was shop bought …and everyone else said I was an excellent cake maker…and especially the grandkids. So …as you’re not a good baker… why bother. Your retirement….your choice! Don’t waste anymore of your time. Do what I did at retirement …stop doing everything you dont like and start going what you like …in my case it’s history degree and learning a language. Have a think …and discard that oppressive apron!!

Beautyandthebeast Mon 13-Mar-23 09:24:23

Yes you are put your efforts into some other hobby.

Sasta Mon 13-Mar-23 10:11:06

Sorry, not connected to OP’s question, but ExDancer you’re the first person I’ve heard of who was diagnosed with IBS but had BAM instead. My consultant said GPs often don’t know about BAM. Maybe we should start a thread. My consultant calls it Bile Acid Malabsorption but I think that’s the same thing. You’ll know all about living with that 🤦🏻‍♀️. Thank god for the meds, changed my life. I’m glad you were diagnosed properly eventually.

Sasta Mon 13-Mar-23 10:29:34

valdali, that’s so sad and mean 😢. I bet you’re a brilliant baker.