Gransnet forums

Relationships

Separate at 62 ?

(64 Posts)
1Lois Sun 30-Apr-23 08:09:39

Hi gransnetters, new here have just read the recent thread on prev post which is helpful also. My OH is 11 years younger , he took early 'retirement' so we could go off and do things travel round UK bit more and decide where we'd wanted to retire to. We'd put savings away to tide us over until his pension started and I have small work pension . Then lockdown came so have just started our plans. We rented our house out and took out a rental elsewhere, at Xmas it all came out he'd lost all our savings gambling on stock market over the last year. Have been so shocked angry and pretty depressed since. Also my mum died last August and my brothers live long distance away, few friends are in town where we lived so feel very isolated now, have told one close friend. I feel like I've lost all faith / trust in him and the fact he's done this , has no answer to why or reasons for it and I also feel really stupid that I hadn't realised,...do I leave him, is it possible to recover genuine feelings for him again ? Any thoughts very gratefully received. Thanks.

Caleo Tue 02-May-23 09:46:45

Actually, thank you, ILois ! Your personal story is relevant to so many of us, and I myself get a great deal from Hithere's phrase "financial infidelity". For me, it puts marriage into a wider perspective.

Not only sexual dishonesty, but also financial dishonesty. More, there is also the dishonesty when promises are made for mutual help when troubles come and that help is denied when it's needed.
Some marriage partners are superficial by habit.

Franbern Tue 02-May-23 14:13:58

Interesting how people on here say 'Pack his bags', 'kick him out the door', etc Sounds so simple. What happens if he refused to leave? After all, he would say it is much his house and hers so she can leave if she wishes, but he is staying put.

This is exactly what happened to me.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 02-May-23 14:51:56

I thought the same Fran. It’s such a daft thing say.

Katie59 Tue 02-May-23 15:13:17

ILois, “he wants more cash for gambling” be aware he may still have open contracts that there may be margin calls on, these need closing, he need# to disclose what he has.

Private investors have very little chance of making money from short term trading, the professionals are much quicker at making a quick buck, the little guy always looses out.

1Lois Tue 02-May-23 21:33:09

Caleo yes , I found I needed to force him into at least phoning Gamblers Anonymous, which he did but then it's come to no more insight or willingness to follow through with active change , the word " superficial" seems appropriate I feel.

1Lois Tue 02-May-23 21:36:08

Franbern yes I recognise this situation is going take much thought and compromise no doubt. I'm sorry you experienced this yourself.

1Lois Tue 02-May-23 21:41:50

Katie59 thanks for pointing this out, I've been wondering about how it can all be closed, I've asked him to do so and says he will , but I've no idea about any of this myself.. he suggested money from the house would be for our living expenses not to gamble further, but I'm doubtful of his intentions on this for sure. Thanks, yes Ill get legal advice.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 03-May-23 08:52:11

Is he talking about equity release? Don’t go there. You know what he’s likely to do with the money. Your interest in the house seems to be your only security at present - don’t do anything to compromise that,

Hetty58 Wed 03-May-23 09:04:12

A work colleague of my late husband had a gambling addiction (an illness, like any other). His wife would collect his wages - then hand him his 'pocket money'.

She had sole control of the finances, as he simply couldn't be trusted - and that's how their marriage survived.

1Lois, you do need urgent legal advice - to protect you from this awful addiction and ensure some stability. Only you can tell whether the marriage continues.

Franbern Wed 03-May-23 09:05:49

ILouis - putting aside for a moment the gambling do you want this relationships to be dissolved? How do you feel about restarting your life, living by yourself? I know how hard it must be for you to come to any sort of terms with his deception, and the shock of what you thought was a safe, comfortable (economically) future. BUT, do you feel that life with hin as your companion is still what YOU want.

If you do, then you need to insist that he starts attending Gamblers Anonymous and that YOU take over control of both of your finances, this can be done as an agreement between the two of you and part of his acceptance that what he has done is so very wrong. Many years ago, one of my daughters could no longer put up with her husbands careless use of their finances and he accepted he was not good in budgeting. So, he cut up all his cards, she contr5ols the finances, if he wants something largish he asks her permission (in the nicest of ways), and this has worked out so well for both of them for the last fifteen years.

However, if you feel that this deception is step more then you can accept, then you need to start making arrangements to split up as quickly as possible. Legal advice would be a start, the house would need to be sold so that you each have 50/50 of it (unless one of you has access to funds to buy out the other persons half).
Nobody, can advice you to stay or to go - that is entirely your decision.

1Lois Wed 03-May-23 15:13:24

Germanshepherdsmum. No I'm not agree to anything re our house thanks.
Hetty58 yes I can imagine that couples could survive potentially this way, I've moved my pension from joint ACC and I'll get legal advice re home if I decide we separate. Thanks.
Franbern yes you're right I am definitely still in shock so I know I need get to point of thinking more clearly before take decision which avenue to go down. He used to have a highly responsible job, but gambling does seem to grip men across the board . At present I'm not optimistic he'd ever agree to me taking responsibility for all finances..
Thankyou all for your kind thoughts and advice I do appreciate this greatly.🙏

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 03-May-23 15:21:38

Ilois I can understand that you don’t want to make any rash moves, however, I think that you need to protect your finances as a matter of urgency, you have no idea what debts he has or what commitments he still has to pay off, meanwhile he could deplete your joint accounts and borrow against your home.
And he still isn’t working or accepting any responsibility for it (this is typical of someone who go has an addiction).
I wish you well, but I think action needs to be taken quickly to protect what you have left.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 03-May-23 15:36:54

I don’t think any further action has to be taken quickly Oops. ILois says she has stopped her pension going into the joint account and she’s not going to agree to releasing equity from the house, so she’s done what she can on the financial front for now. Her eyes are open. It’s now a matter of whether she decides to stay with him, and if so what conditions she lays down - which I have no doubt will include him working if he wants to keep a roof over his head and continue to eat. If she decides against staying together, that’s the time to see a solicitor.