Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Secrets hidden

(69 Posts)
eninn Thu 21-Jun-12 02:54:15

Is the day when the scientists are able to know what the man is thinking of and what he is hiding from people coming? This is what the scientists hope but what is the truth? Let us read?

Scientists from Britain, Germany and Japan finally managed to read the mind and what the person think of! They have used imaging device using magnetic resonance, (Magnetic Resonance Imaging MRI) after doing many amazing experiments.

They have asked a person a question which has the answer of either yes or no, and the MRI always showed the area of the brain related to the question. If the answer is yes, a specific area in the brain will be activated and the device will immediately detect this activation, whereas if the answer is no, another area of the brain will be activated and consequently detected by the device.

A real photo of the brain taken by MRI showing the activation of specific areas of the brain during thinking of a certain matter, each area is specialized with one type of ideas. When a man is asked a question like, do you love this person or not?, The device detects the area responsible for yes or no answer before the man answers, as soon as thinking starts, the device will detect the answer and show on a computer monitor the glowing area of the brain from which the answer can be detected!! Surely using software specialized for this purpose.

Therefore, this device is used to tell you what you think of!! But the experiment still in the primary stage and the question is: can scientists one day reach to know all things the men think of?

Professor, Colin Blakemore says "we should not be very optimist at this stage, because experiments are at the start of the way. However, other scientists say that we could read people's mind and intentions and know their passion and plans.

Anyway, dear reader, I do not think that these experiments will develop on large scale, as Allah the Almighty says: "Allâh knows the fraud of the eyes, and all that the breasts conceal" (19: Gafir). this noble verse confirms that hidden things of the person is known by nobody except Allah, the Almighty, but techniques may develop and enable scientists from reading some of the person's mind through the brain but will not be able to know for example the person's tenet.

Joan Thu 21-Jun-12 03:17:13

Oh dear - when attacking science please leave religion out of it; they incompatible: one is based on logic and rigorous investigation, the other on ancient imaginings, including an imagined supreme being.

The translation is poor quality too.

Greatnan Thu 21-Jun-12 05:07:28

We seem to be attracting more than our fair share of this sort of post - perhaps the best approach could be to ignore them and let them wither on the vine.

Joan Thu 21-Jun-12 06:48:47

True - I should have ignored it because I know it is a sort of spam - but I just can't resist having a go at daft religiosity!!

Greatnan Thu 21-Jun-12 07:25:14

Well, at least our members are unlikely to fall for such rubbish - we are all far too sensible.

AlieOxon Thu 21-Jun-12 09:27:41

How depressing........sounds like the same person again.....

j04 Thu 21-Jun-12 09:37:26

I think it is very clever the way they can "look" at how the brain responds to different stimulii, but, as you say, they will never know the persons reasoning behind how he or she reacts.

Interesting though.

Yes. As a Christian, I believe that only God knows us quite that thoroughly. smile

j04 Thu 21-Jun-12 09:41:23

Professor Blakemore definitely knows more than I do grin

Ella46 Thu 21-Jun-12 09:41:57

Sounds like the same person to me too hmm

Ariadne Thu 21-Jun-12 09:45:17

We're off again, methinks!

Ariadne Thu 21-Jun-12 09:46:07

Reported.

AlieOxon Thu 21-Jun-12 10:50:36

So did I.

j04 Thu 21-Jun-12 11:17:18

Why don't you read the post?! If Bags or someone else with scientific leanings had posted it, you wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

If you happen to be muslim, it's quite ok to quote from the quran.

You wouldn't expect the Bible would you? hmm

absentgrana Thu 21-Jun-12 11:24:01

j04 Maybe, but then Bags wouldn't post such "scientific" tosh, nor would it be a prelude to a comment about her personal religious belief (if she had one). However, this is on the Religion and Spirituality forum so a lack of logic, bad science and personal assertion are hardly surprising.

Ariadne Thu 21-Jun-12 11:29:12

You are right, absent Of course we are free to express and discuss our beliefs and opinions, but not, I think, to proselytise.

And of course I have read it. I am not in the habit of judging that which I have not examined.

jeni Thu 21-Jun-12 11:47:36

Amazingly, there is some truth in what the poster says. I went to a lecture by a very emmminently researcher last year on these active MRI scans. The research was into the perception of pain.
I haven't time at the moment to say more as I'm in a tribunal but if anyone is interested, nudge me this pm when I'm home and I'll post more. The studies were I thought fascinating grin

Ariadne Thu 21-Jun-12 12:01:46

Nevertheless, I think I'll leave this one. I object to proselytisation, and to implied insults.

soop Thu 21-Jun-12 12:06:30

Ariadne May I join you, please?

absentgrana Thu 21-Jun-12 12:11:08

Before I join Ariadne and soop, it's perfectly okay to quote from the Qur'an if you're not a Muslim and that even the Devil can quote scripture.

AlieOxon Thu 21-Jun-12 13:27:07

Whoever he is, he doesn't want a conversation with us, though, does he?

j04 Thu 21-Jun-12 15:19:31

Don't blame him/her. grin How do you know it's a 'he'?

j04 Thu 21-Jun-12 15:20:45

Don't see where the proselytisation comes into it. confused

Anagram Thu 21-Jun-12 15:25:53

Actually, neither do I. The final paragraph expresses a belief common to many religions.

Greatnan Thu 21-Jun-12 16:49:22

What is the point or purpose of the OP?

j04 Thu 21-Jun-12 18:15:34

I would have entitled it: Remarkable advances in brain reading using MRI imaging.

and would prob have said something like:

"According to an article in the Times yesterday, they can see, through MRI imaging specific reactions in the brain to questions such as, 'do you love this person', or, do you like treacle pudding'. Prof Colin Blakemore says it will be many years before anything really comes of this, but, all the same, it is very interesting. I, being a Christian, think they will never actually be able to read our inner thoughts as well as God can. Do any other Christians out there agree with me?

and apparently all hell would let loose. confused