Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Business leaders turn to church for advice

(35 Posts)
Lilygran Sun 23-Sep-12 14:05:53

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9548903/The-struggle-of-conscience-at-the-heart-of-the-financial-crisis.html I heard about this on Radio 4 this morning. It's reported in several papers including the Financial Times.

Lilygran Mon 24-Sep-12 10:51:49

Like that, Feetlebaum grin. Thanks for the further explanation, Glitabo. Greatnan the Quakers also own property. Our local Society lets rooms in its very nice city centre Meeting House at an economic rent. Quaker families were in the forefront of developing new industries during the Industrial Revolution and made huge fortunes as a result. There is always going to be a tension between keeping the show on the road and following Christ's example. Martha and Mary - someone with resources fed and housed the disciples while others gave up everything to follow.

Greatnan Mon 24-Sep-12 10:55:18

Just for the record - I don't launch personal attacks on other members - I am happy to debate with people of opposing views.

annodomini Mon 24-Sep-12 11:33:44

In the Acts of the Apostles, I seem to remember, 'they had all things common'. How very far removed from the churches as they have existed for at least a millennium. Early Christianity was, evidently, not far removed from Marxism.

absentgrana Mon 24-Sep-12 12:15:28

Lilygran Many Quaker families were, indeed, in the forefront of the Industrial Revolution and also responsible for the development of the railways, making very sizeable fortunes. In return, they built hospitals, schools and other charitable institutions, as well as serving on civic commitees and even becoming MPs.

annodominini Count up the number of times St Paul demands money in his epistles.

Lilygran Mon 24-Sep-12 12:16:28

That's true. And it can still work in small communities.

absentgrana Mon 24-Sep-12 12:17:29

Might even work in larger ones if someone tried.

Bags Mon 24-Sep-12 12:21:17

It works in big communities too. Romney got rich by avoiding paying taxes. I'm sure he can find a way of justifying that.

annodomini Mon 24-Sep-12 12:46:37

absent, life's too short but I'll take your word for it!

Lilygran Mon 24-Sep-12 13:03:45

Yes, Absent. Along with other Christian business magnates Quakers pioneered fair treatment of the labour force and were able to use their money, power and influence to shift social and political attitudes. Bags not sure what Romney's got to do with small scale communism