Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Thoughts from the Teapot

(70 Posts)
Bags Fri 07-Jun-13 06:31:06

Teapot Atheist (@TpotAtheist)

How about instead of "love your enemies" we just don't consider other groups to be enemies?

"I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword"
-Jesus, the "Prince of Peace" (Matthew 10:34)

#thingsiwillteachmychild
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" (Carl Sagan)

petallus Sat 08-Jun-13 17:41:12

I always took 'love thy neighbour as thyself' or 'love your enemies' to relate to psychological attitude, that is try not live with too much hatred, spite, disapproval etc. in your 'heart'. For your own sake.

There is a similar idea in Buddhist philosophy, in fact Buddhism expresses it better.

I don't think it means you should physically leave yourself open to attack from people who are hostile to you or allow others to carry out wicked acts.

I think this is quite topical. People must be stopped from committing murder, abusing others, cheating and so on, but to have a vitriolic hated in you for these people, and a wish to see them suffer, is an added, unnecessary extra.

Ana Sat 08-Jun-13 17:47:11

Yes, I agree with those sentiments, petallus.

Lilygran Sat 08-Jun-13 18:16:23

St Augustine said (and many people said it after him) 'Hate the sin and love the sinner'. I take that to mean two things; we should not hate anyone however heinous their acts, however much we abhor what they have done and loving someone should not mean that we overlook the bad things they may do.

j08 Sat 08-Jun-13 18:23:31

Some people you have to hate. How can you not?

j08 Sat 08-Jun-13 18:24:30

No one on Gransnet I hasten to add!!!! shock grin

I mean evil people.

Galen Sat 08-Jun-13 18:37:04

St Augustine also prayed for chastity and continence (but not yet)! confused

Greatnan Sat 08-Jun-13 18:39:05

I find it hard to forgive anybody who harms my children, their children, and their children.

petallus Sat 08-Jun-13 18:39:32

j08 I suppose you'd have to sort that one out with Jesus, who supposedly said it!

I am assuming you are on speaking terms smile

Good old St Augustine grin

j08 Sat 08-Jun-13 18:43:20

I have been on speaking terms with him for as long as I can remember petallus. I'm not always very polite though. grin

Galen Sat 08-Jun-13 19:19:55

Nice to know that you are the same to Christ as to us! I like consistency!grin

Nelliemoser Sat 08-Jun-13 19:24:39

Galen grin grin

nanaej Sat 08-Jun-13 22:54:28

I always think that the Good Samaritan was about racism and prejudice.

I understood the message of JC in the parable was that we should treat each other as individuals, if someone needs help and kindness we give it regardless of their background and do not let the prevailing view of who is 'good' and who is 'bad' get in the way of behaving in a humane way.

Racism is rising again for a variety of reasons. If only we could stop seeing people as part of a generic group 'gay' muslim' 'chav' 'immigrant' etc and start thinking of others as being like ourselves, with likes dislikes, hopes, dreams, loves, feelings etc we might have a better place to be.

Idealist? Yes I am. But I am realistic too....

Sel Sat 08-Jun-13 23:24:39

That's interesting nanaej - when you learned of the parable of the Good Samaritan, what age were you? I learned it as a child and I didn't for a moment think it said 'racism and prejudice'. I didn't know those terms. I just thought it meant we should help those less fortunate than ourselves. A simple concept, easily followed.

Greatnan Sun 09-Jun-13 05:39:42

I learnt the parables at a very early age, as I attended a Catholic primary school. I always understood it was to teach us not to allow our prejudices to stand in the way of helping others, whether or not we considered them to be deserving of our help. I think it is very relevant today when certain groups are demonised.

MiceElf Sun 09-Jun-13 07:28:45

A child, of course, will interpret a parable or story in the light of their own understanding and experience. However, as Greatnan says, the parable was told to adults. It was particulary shocking at the time as Jews and Samaritans despised each other. This dislike and suspicion dated back many centuries and was a result of complex historic events and some theological differences. The message is perfectly clear. We should look beyond our prejudices, as very often it is those who are marginalised in society or those who are members of minorities who are the most generous, and those who the most privileged who behave in a selfish way.

Aka Sun 09-Jun-13 08:13:59

I only wish more people were able to, or encouraged to, look beyond their prejudices Mice. Much of the world still seems to operate on an 'eye for an eye' principle. I listened to a young boy in a refugee camp, whose father had been killed in Syria, saying he'd never forget or forgive. Understandable in the circumstances but sadly this could well harden into revenge in years to come.

Movedalot Sun 09-Jun-13 11:43:29

Petallus I agree with your post at 17.41. Also Lily I don't hate anyone but I do hate some of the things they do. I have done quite a lot of forgiving in my life, forgetting is somewhat harder!

Greatnan said "Surely if a group constantly criticises one person that is bullying?" I don't agree. Criticism is not always a bad thing, think of theatre critics. If several people were to comment on an aspect of my behaviour/character I would take it on board and think about whether what they said was true. If it was I would change it. It would be terribly arrogant to think that I was right and so many others were wrong!

No Greatnan I don't think it is "a bit arrogant to think that you can decide on what is unacceptable behaviour in others". Many things are unacceptable, hurting children, animals, murder, rape, racism etc. as you say obviously harmful acts. If I did any of these I would hope that many people would try to change me! I'm not sure what point you were trying to make.

annodomini Sun 09-Jun-13 12:19:23

My primary school teacher explained that the Samaritans and Jews were enemies though probably didn't explain why. It was clear enough to us that it wasn't just a matter of caring for someone less fortunate but of caring for one's enemy. Of course, in the west of Scotland at the time we were conditioned to regard the local Catholics as adversaries which was all too clear when we were older and played hockey against the Catholic high school.

annodomini Sun 09-Jun-13 12:21:50

PS. I should say that once I was out of school and met Catholics socially at University, I became deeply ashamed of my previous attitudes.