Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

A view of what faith is

(82 Posts)
Lilygran Tue 23-Dec-14 22:41:34

I thought this was an interesting approach to defining what faith is. For people who keep asking what it is, exactly. www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/opinion/david-brooks-the-subtle-sensations-of-faith.html?emc=edit_ty_20141223&nl=opinion&nlid=70471830&_r=0

soontobe Wed 24-Dec-14 14:14:20

Fair enough.

The answer is yes thatbags.

soontobe Wed 24-Dec-14 14:15:21

I will keep my answers shorter.

mcem Wed 24-Dec-14 14:18:54

'Most of us will have died'? What does that mean?
I think Philip Pullman comes close to explaining the idea of returning to dust. (The Dark Materials)
His take on it makes sense to me.
There is a significant difference between evangelising and taking part in a discussion about faith.

mcem Wed 24-Dec-14 14:28:30

Soon am I right in thinking that further back on this thread you said that if a sinner repents on his deathbed he'll go straight to heaven but also that heaven is only for christians.
How can you take that seriously?
You'd condemn good honest people to 'hell ' but would permit wicked evil ones to go to 'heaven' if at the last moment they declare themselves to be christians.
Sorry to use such simplistic terms but that seems to be appropriate in this discussion!

soontobe Wed 24-Dec-14 14:34:05

Earth is going to keep right on going right up until the moment of judgement. So by definition, most people will have dies, but the earths population on that day will still be alive.

mcem, re repenting. That is what the bible says.

Once anyone repents, they are forgiven.

Elegran Wed 24-Dec-14 14:49:15

So by that doctrine, you could spend a long life hurting and destroying others, or wrecking the planet (or the universe that god created) so that no other living creature could have any kind of existence, and then when death is near and the mouth of hell is yawning before you, you could earn eternity in heaven by saying the right thing?

But if you spent that life helping others, saving lives, preserving the wonders of the planet the further stars and universe, because you loved your fellow-men and you valued the miracle of creation, you would then spend eternity in hell?

Do you have children? Would you only feed and clothe the ones who admitted that you were the boss and the most wonderful mother or father that ever existed?

A father who condemns his children to damnation until they worship him would be condemned himself for emotional abuse.

whenim64 Wed 24-Dec-14 14:57:05

soon are we really heading for a discussion about what the bible says? I don't know if you've noticed but there are rather a lot of silly statements in there, which even you would not agree with!

Galen Wed 24-Dec-14 15:08:34

Such as the creation story with Adam and Eve and the serpent!

soontobe Wed 24-Dec-14 15:20:37

How am I going to answer all these questions without it looking like a sermon?

soontobe Wed 24-Dec-14 15:21:15

I will keep it all very short I suppose.

soontobe Wed 24-Dec-14 15:22:36

Elegran. I dont make the rules.
If you think of an extreme example like Jimmy Saville, how can a persons' good works alone be enough for Heaven?

soontobe Wed 24-Dec-14 15:24:00

when and Galen.
I agree with more than most christians. I try and agree with all of it.

whenim64 Wed 24-Dec-14 15:24:31

Let's just not rely on the bible for facts, soon. What you quote will be refuted by those who know these passages well and can counter them with opposing biblical statements or decisions by the church to pay no heed.

soontobe Wed 24-Dec-14 15:26:37

By the way, I will disappear for a few days soon. Christmas is calling.

when, that is my only point of reference. Others, including christians are free to believe what they want to believe.

whenim64 Wed 24-Dec-14 15:29:47

You mean Jimmy Savile the devout catholic who received a papal knighthood, soon? .......or some other Jimmy Savile?

Grannyknot Wed 24-Dec-14 15:52:08

...or the Jimmy Saville who would have gone to heaven if he repented in his dying moments?

Lilygran Wed 24-Dec-14 15:54:44

That's the doctrine. Theology is soooo interesting!

Galen Wed 24-Dec-14 16:03:05

Soon does that mean that you believe in the creation myth?

soontobe Wed 24-Dec-14 16:04:52

Yes, it is not a myth.

soontobe Wed 24-Dec-14 16:05:36

Jimmy Saville, the liverpudlian?

Galen Wed 24-Dec-14 16:20:54

Do you honestly believe that the world was made in 7 days and Adam and Eve created in the way described?

whenim64 Wed 24-Dec-14 16:56:25

Yes, Lilygran theology is endlessly interesting, but I'm not sure which branch of theology we're talking about here. Is there a continuum of religious belief? I thought the creation myth was not one that many christians subscribed to?

Ariadne Wed 24-Dec-14 17:05:05

But if they do subscribe, I know there is no point in even trying to argue. Closed minds, I am afraid.

annodomini Wed 24-Dec-14 17:21:00

I couldn't care less that you might condemn me to your hell, soontobe, since I, along with other humanists, don't believe in life after death and therefore much of this discussion is irrelevant. I know I have no more chance of persuading you of my point of view than you have of persuading me of yours. Happy Saturnalia.

Lilygran Wed 24-Dec-14 17:24:52

I was referring to the doctrine of justification by faith, not to the creation story. There is more than one way of believing and truth in any narrative is open to interpretation.