Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Coventry Cathedral

(53 Posts)
Teetime Mon 22-Jun-15 17:14:35

We visited Coventry Cathedral today as we were in the area. I had read about it and thought I wouldn't enjoy a modernist building being a lover of high baroque and renaissance architecture but I was amazed at how emotional I felt in this wonderful space. It is so worth a visit if you are anywhere nearby. We recently went to Barcelona as DH wanted to see the Sagrada Familia and I felt more in Coventry than I did there.

On a lighter note it has one of the nicest cafes in vintage/bistros shabby chic- felt like sitting in someone's lovely warm kitchen and the cakes are really home made and original.

loopylou Mon 22-Jun-15 17:30:47

My parents took my sisters and I to see Coventry cathedral in 1962 when it first opened. It made a huge impression on me as a 8 year old, that magnificent stained glass window still sends shivers down my spine when I see pictures of it.

That was 53 years ago, and I have never forgotten it.

ninathenana Mon 22-Jun-15 17:41:03

Couldn't agree more.

granjura Mon 22-Jun-15 17:44:12

Yes agreed, used to take my foreign students there every year- espcially the German ones. Even better in the morning when the light comes through those amazing stained glass strips on the South side.

tanith Mon 22-Jun-15 17:46:51

I went on a school trip to Coventry Cathedral when I was 15 that was over 51yrs ago and I have to say its one of things I remember most from my school days, even as a 15yr old I was very impressed with that window and the burnt wood that had been fashioned into the cross..
I must take OH there sometime in the Autumn

Nelliemoser Mon 22-Jun-15 17:47:27

Loopylou I went when it was first opened years ago and queued. I think it is a really wonderful building.

Teetime I felt like that about it. It has all the grace and beauty of some of our best old cathedrals with what was then a modern design. The light and airiness of the place is fabulous.

Go there GNers!

petallus Mon 22-Jun-15 21:32:06

The stained glass is particularly beautiful.

annodomini Mon 22-Jun-15 21:57:18

It also has good acoustics. When we lived in the Midlands we attended several concerts there, but the one that sticks in my memory was a performance of Walton's Belshazzar's Feast, a most stirring work!

BlackeyedSusan Sun 20-Sep-15 23:57:32

accoustics are crap though for sermons and services. <shrug> does not help when small boy is rattling anything he can and proclaiming on the boring nature of everything, far too loudly.

durhamjen Mon 21-Sep-15 00:21:07

Went to Stratford when I was at school, and we had a trip to Coventry Cathedral. We always used to go there if we were ever holidaying over that way.
When you look at any other cathedral, you always say that it wouldn't get planning permission these days. But Coventry did! It's awesome, as my grandkids would say.

cornergran Mon 21-Sep-15 07:17:21

Like others have said I was taken there as a child shortly after opening. Had several Christmas visits and attended some services with local family. Can still feel the emotional response. Not been for about 40 years. May not again but it's still with me.

Indinana Mon 21-Sep-15 08:22:38

Never been. But always thought it looked impressive when seen on TV. Now, of course, I really want to go smile.

kittylester Mon 21-Sep-15 08:59:25

I have a bit of a 'down' on Coventry Cathedral! We lived in Coventry when DS1 was born and took him (aged 6 months) to the Children's Carol Service. On arrival we were sent to the crypt in case the baby cried and disturbed people. Never felt quite the same about it since then. sad

Luckygirl Mon 21-Sep-15 09:13:12

My friend was ordained there - it is a wonderful building.

ninathenana Mon 21-Sep-15 09:25:26

How silly kitty I'd have been miffed too.
The clue is in the title Childrens Carol Service

Nelliemoser Mon 21-Sep-15 23:34:33

"But the little lord Jesus no crying he made."

This was because he knew that if he did cry he would have been sent to the crypt so as not to disturb the service.
wink wink

POGS Tue 22-Sep-15 10:07:15

Oh dear I think I might be on my own but I have to be honest.

I really do not like Coventry Cathedral. It does absolutely nothing for me.

Anya Tue 22-Sep-15 11:02:39

We went to see the new one a few years ago and were expected to pay. We declined. You shouldn't have to pay to visit a church. I would have made a voluntary contrition anyway.

So we wondered around the old, bombed one instead and that was somehow better.

Marigoldfoo Tue 13-Oct-15 17:04:38

I would recommend a climb to the top of the old Cathedral spire. Great views, only open in the Summer months though.

NotTooOld Tue 13-Oct-15 22:35:51

Nelliemoser grin

POGS - seems like you ARE on your own. Perhaps you should go again and see how you feel. We took DD when she was 8 and all thought it was a beautiful place. Incidentally, DD lost her pony tail 'bobble' while she was there, so if you visit and find it please send it to me. DD is 37 now but still misses her bobble. sad

BlackeyedSusan Tue 13-Oct-15 23:25:49

it is very modern... some people do not like modern. I saw a lot of the floor last time I went. ds was spending rather too much time on it. I can confirm that the font and the bottom panels of the stained glass windows are fairly robust too.

don't you just love autistic meltdowns..

Florentine Wed 14-Oct-15 10:10:46

I agree entirely with the incredible sense of spirituality embodied in Coventry Cathedral. I visit it on a regular (though not necessarily frequent) basis, as I live in the area. I never fail to be moved (sometimes to tears) by the poignancy of the symbols scattered throughout the building. There is a powerful message of forgiveness, reconciliations, and fundamental recognition of human failings and achievements.
I find particularly impressive the link with the old, bombed out, cathedral, which is reflected in the tall, wide facade of the new building.

kittylester Wed 14-Oct-15 10:40:52

No POGS, you are not on your own! But, I was moved to tears in Durham Cathedral as it felt so special.

Stansgran Wed 14-Oct-15 17:07:15

As a Durham cathedral fan I'm Glad to hear it KittyL . It's a very emotional place for so many visitors. I visited Coventry when I was in the Sixth form and I found I had a cathedral habit, not always shared by my nearest and dearest.

mrsmopp Sun 18-Oct-15 22:30:09

When visiting any city I always make a beeline for the cathedral. I feel drawn to them and have visited many. I love Coventry, especially the fact that they kept the bombed remains of the original, with the words Father Forgive placed behind the altar. Salisbury is beautiful and not to be missed are the two in Liverpool, one each end of Hope St and completely contrasting in style. I have a list of cathedrals I have yet to see and hope to get round them eventually. They are glorious. Wonderful. Love 'em.