Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Religious tolerance

(575 Posts)
Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 14:47:08

Dr. Laura Slessinger is a well-known conservative talk show host. She has expressed very negative beliefs about homosexuality.

She has firmly supported and advocated biblical morality on her TV and radio shows. The following is a tongue-in-cheek letter seeking Dr. Laura's advice on applying biblical morality and religious duties in today's world. Its author is unknown.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When people try to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them:

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev.1:9).The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7.In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness (Lev.15:19-24).The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev.25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev.11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev.11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread cotton/polyester blend. He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them (Lev.24:10-16)? Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you.

granjura Sun 30-Aug-15 15:25:10

Thank you Anya, for reminding us of these excellent questions.

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 15:30:40

PS I hope I haven't offended any religious GNetters. Such wasn't my aim.

Notso Sun 30-Aug-15 15:39:55

Well said that letter writer!

If any religious GNetters are offended by those quotes from the bible Anya, it wont be you that's offending them smile

soontobe Sun 30-Aug-15 15:40:31

No offence taken.

I wonder what her answer is?

Mine is that all those rules are in the Old covenant, and as far as I know not in the new one [New Testament]. [homosexuality and the sabbath are].

Some of the Old Testament rules were for reasons of health and hygiene.

soontobe Sun 30-Aug-15 15:43:32

It is good to have humour, even and especially in church matters. It is not supposed to be all dry and staid. The more humour the better!

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 15:46:05

That's a relief!

Not having a religious bone in my body (despite being a guide at our local church) I'm never sure.

Anniebach Sun 30-Aug-15 15:58:42

Anyone can take a chapter or verse and use it to strengthen their prejudices. For me I stick to what I was advised when a child , ask yourself what would Jesus say. I have not the foggiest just what he would say but following his teachings I don't have a problem with this.

He said love your neighbour, he did not say love your neighbour if they are heterosexual, not of a different faith, not of a different skin colour , not if they are atheists .

Jane10 Sun 30-Aug-15 16:01:48

Not much smiting around these days grin

granjura Sun 30-Aug-15 16:03:27

excellent post anniebach. Glad soon takes this with humour- despite it NOT being funny, much...

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 30-Aug-15 16:10:24

The original post is an example of the boring clap-trap that seems to circulate on the Internet. Can't see any point in putting it on here. These things are rarely funny. hmm

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 16:10:30

confused

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 30-Aug-15 16:12:52

Good post anniebach.

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 16:14:18

Oh dear!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 30-Aug-15 16:21:38

Why "oh dear"? It's just silly.

Jane10 Sun 30-Aug-15 16:22:22

Well I thought it was funny! Laughter must be God given so we should welcome such letters. Halleluiah!

Anniebach Sun 30-Aug-15 16:22:41

soon, the new testament may include homosexuality it also tells women to cover their hair in church. I have always had problems with St Paul, he said - better that widows should remarry than burn ! well I was widowed at age 33 and I did some burning after the grief eased. Was I sinning? I don't think so.

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 16:23:51

I'm not sure what's not funny about the OP... confused

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 16:25:10

This was obviously the wrong forum to post it on!

granjura Sun 30-Aug-15 16:25:59

Why is it silly jingl? Are those quotes from the Bible, or made up just to stir?

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 16:26:59

What??? Now that really is silly, granjura!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 30-Aug-15 16:27:17

It just didn't make me laugh Ana. Nothing to do with religious feeling at all. Humour is very subjective.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 30-Aug-15 16:29:41

Meant Ana. Not Ana.

Haven't a clue granjura. I expect they are.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 30-Aug-15 16:30:47

I mean - from the bible!

Oh God! Get me out of here... hmm

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 16:31:35

Well, I admit I didn't laugh out loud! But it did give me a wry smile or two at the idea of taking bible verses literally.