Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Religious tolerance

(576 Posts)
Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 14:47:08

Dr. Laura Slessinger is a well-known conservative talk show host. She has expressed very negative beliefs about homosexuality.

She has firmly supported and advocated biblical morality on her TV and radio shows. The following is a tongue-in-cheek letter seeking Dr. Laura's advice on applying biblical morality and religious duties in today's world. Its author is unknown.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When people try to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them:

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev.1:9).The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7.In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness (Lev.15:19-24).The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev.25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev.11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev.11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread cotton/polyester blend. He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them (Lev.24:10-16)? Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you.

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 16:33:01

Beam her up Scotty????

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 16:40:23

Leviticus 25:44 does indeed state

New International Version
"'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

New Living Translation
"However, you may purchase male and female slaves from among the nations around you.

English Standard Version
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you.

granjura Sun 30-Aug-15 16:42:36

Ana how should the Bible be taken?

soontobe Sun 30-Aug-15 16:42:52

Yes they are bible verses. They were part of the rules of the time.

The cover the hair in church is in the New Testament. But the last part of it says that it is a custom. Thankfully. When I was first a chrisitian, I was very glad to read that it was a custom of the time.

I think the burning with passion bit, was so that people dont get consumed, rather than have an outlet for it.

I will try not to speak at all, or not get too serious on this thread I think!

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 16:45:10

Are you saying, granjura, that you believe every word in the Bible is true and must be taken literally?

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 16:51:23

And in answer to your question I'd say 'with a pinch of salt'.

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 16:51:38

I was about to jump in and post an apology as I didn't mean to start a Holy War, but actually this has opened up some searching questions about the Bible and the Old Testament in particular.

Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 16:54:23

Apparently Levitacus was written by Moses and is part narrative and part law. So the references in the OP are to Law.

Am I wrong is thinking some of the passages sound like parts of Sharia Law?

annsixty Sun 30-Aug-15 16:55:47

Well I thought it funny and not disrespectful or whatever.

Luckygirl Sun 30-Aug-15 16:57:16

It intrigues me that in church services, even people who I know do not regard the bible as literally true or to be taken totally at face value still say "This is the word of the lord" after the lessons from both OT and NT. Why say it if you do not believe it? Beats me.

feetlebaum Sun 30-Aug-15 16:58:26

Donald Trump claims frequently that 'The Bible' is his favourite book of all time. When asked what his favourite verse would be, he can't or won't answer!

Luckygirl Sun 30-Aug-15 17:08:20

I was playing for a service this morning and one element of it was that people were asked to discuss examples of people using the excuse that it was god's will to do things that were unacceptable. People came out with all sorts of parochial things. I was dying to say: "Well, take your pick from any religions over millennia, where powerful men have invoked god as an excuse to feather their own nests, to consolidate their power base and to oppress women - and still do." As the resident agnostic musician I kept my mouth zipped!

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Aug-15 17:08:38

Not nearly enough smiting, if you ask me, Jane10.

Anniebach Sun 30-Aug-15 17:24:41

I doubt his favourite verse is on adultery

granjura Sun 30-Aug-15 17:34:45

No Ana- I do not- which is why I am not a Christian as I could not accept that one is supposed to 'pick and choose' and say and repeat things I did not believe. How do you 'pick' - who decides? Some things 'picked' by some Christians are refuted by others, be it locally by different Churches- but even more over the world- many countries in Africa for instance, believing just that- that everything in the Bible has to be taken literally (which justifies the persecution of gays, for instance, as their Christian duty).

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 17:39:15

Yes, I know that granjura. Just wondering why you asked me, specifically, how the Bible should be taken...confused

granjura Sun 30-Aug-15 17:47:09

Ah sorry, in direct reply to this comment you made:

'Are you saying, granjura, that you believe every word in the Bible is true and must be taken literally?' which you asked me directly- so made sense to reply to you.

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 17:51:28

No, I'm referring to your post to me of 16.42, granjura*.

Ana how should the Bible be taken?

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 17:53:05

Which preceded the post you've quoted.

granjura Sun 30-Aug-15 18:01:13

Ah yes, you are correct. So it was in response to this earlier post Ana:

'But it did give me a wry smile or two at the idea of taking bible verses literally.'

TriciaF Sun 30-Aug-15 18:01:57

Anya - I've seen this kind of quote so many times over the last few years, it's not funny any more - or was it ever.
Since the efforts of Dawkins and Hawkins et al have fizzled out the unbelievers seem to have run out of steam.
We don't bother them, why do they bother us?
We're only deluded idiots, leave us alone.

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 18:03:47

I'm still perplexed as to why you would ask me how the Bible should be taken, given that you are an atheist and presumably don't give it any credence at all!

Luckygirl Sun 30-Aug-15 18:09:25

Tricia - no-one is getting at you personally, or any other believer. But those of no religion cannot ignore the subject in the UK as it is institutionalised. So, however much we might wish to ignore it, it does not ignore us!

I play for many services and hold many in the congregation in very high regard. I respect their views and they respect mine. It is not a problem, as I do not voice those views in an inappropriate context.

soontobe Sun 30-Aug-15 18:29:25

You are not against christianity though are you Luckygirl as far as I can make out?

TriciaF Sun 30-Aug-15 18:30:15

Well maybe not on here Luckygirl. But I've seen this kind of thing so many times on other forums, and it's always the non-believers who start the discussion.
Why is this?