Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Religious tolerance

(576 Posts)
Anya Sun 30-Aug-15 14:47:08

Dr. Laura Slessinger is a well-known conservative talk show host. She has expressed very negative beliefs about homosexuality.

She has firmly supported and advocated biblical morality on her TV and radio shows. The following is a tongue-in-cheek letter seeking Dr. Laura's advice on applying biblical morality and religious duties in today's world. Its author is unknown.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When people try to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them:

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev.1:9).The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7.In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness (Lev.15:19-24).The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev.25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev.11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev.11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread cotton/polyester blend. He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them (Lev.24:10-16)? Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you.

MargaretX Fri 11-Sep-15 15:50:37

How could trousers be women's wear or men's wear? They were not invented until round about Shakespeare's time. That has not stopped some religious men making rules about women's clothes.
The whole thing about these rules is to give men power over women. They like women in flowing skirts - makes a lot of things easier for them doesn't it? And because its easier to get at women then the women had better stay at home where they belong.
If they are past the age when they are objects of men's desire then they can be kept busy in the kitchen, not eating this not eating that and not mixing some pots and pans with otther pots and pans not touching pork etc etc. That expands housework time over the whole day.

It seesm to me we have now made some important progess. However some women are unforunately so insecure that they have hang onto the rubbish expounded in the name of religious thinking.
its depressing!....

Alea Fri 11-Sep-15 15:59:08

Trousers first enter recorded history in the 6th century BC, with the appearance of horse-riding Iranian peoples in Greek ethnography. At this time, not only the Persians, but also allied Eastern and Central Asian peoples such as the Bactrians, Armenians, Tigraxauda Scythians and Xiongnu Hunnu, are known to have worn them.[9][10] Trousers are believed to have been worn by both sexes among these early users.[11]

Well, well, I didn't know that!!
They were worn in various forms (doublet and hose, breeches, and others), by adult males from approximately Middle Ages in Western Europe.

Luckygirl Fri 11-Sep-15 16:01:53

I wonder when women moved across to dresses.

Anniebach Fri 11-Sep-15 16:08:13

As will I jingle

Alea Fri 11-Sep-15 18:12:10

In Biblical times robes would have been fairly unisex, with head coverings for women, but I wonder how much the Church in the Middle Ages contributed to "modest" dress for women? Of course for the poor, it was not as marked, rough woollen tunics and hose/legging type things for men and longer garments I.e. skirts for women, no underwear of course, so relieving themselves was easier. You probably wore whatever you could get to keep you warm!
Longer skirts for the women of the upper classes restricted women's freedom of movement and made them more dependent on men. Sound familiar?

Joan Sat 12-Sep-15 00:54:30

I bet that awful Laura woman really hates the Pope:

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152570026563553&set=a.10151042317148553.429944.674168552&type=1

MargaretX Sat 12-Sep-15 10:02:01

I think you'll notice that trousers is a plural. Those ancient trousers were two pieces.
The ones we wear now are one piece- the legs pieces sewn together.

In German trousers = Hose is singular. It took a lot of getting used to when I first arrived here.

Joan Sat 12-Sep-15 10:22:24

Margaret - that reminds me of a tale Mum told of meeting Dad's great aunt just before she and Dad got married. The great aunt was talking about a local lass who had ' got into trouble' i.e. got pregnant out of wedlock. Great aunt said that she understood it in the days of 'split draws' but since bloomers were introduced there was no excuse. Apparent her own bloomers were made of red needle cord and tied below the knee with draw strings.

(And we thought school knickers were bad)

PS I'm not sure if it is split draws or split drawers.

nigglynellie Sat 12-Sep-15 17:07:56

It's drawers! I have it on good authority i.e.: Google!!!!

Luckygirl Sat 12-Sep-15 17:27:19

Only Gransnet could go from religious tolerance to crotchless knickers! grin

nigglynellie Sat 12-Sep-15 19:18:00

That's what keeps us young at heart!

Ana Sat 12-Sep-15 19:37:05

Actually, it's made me realise how old I am by knowing what 'bloomers' are...grin

Luckygirl Sat 12-Sep-15 19:42:09

...and having worn them??? grin

rosesarered Sat 12-Sep-15 19:46:34

Red needle cord and tied below the knees with draw strings? she's having you on!grin was this around 1850?

Joan Sat 12-Sep-15 21:23:47

No, it was 1936, and Mum would not have invented this. She remembered it clearly just BECAUSE it was so unbelievably awful. This great aunt would have been born around 1850, as Mum said she was very very old.

rosesarered Sat 12-Sep-15 23:05:04

Oh well, I got the date right at least Joan.smile

feetlebaum Sun 13-Sep-15 22:36:43

@MargaretX - Funny how 'religious leaders' seem to like dressing up in frocks, as well as their silly magic hats...

@rosesarered - Mrs Miller showed her 'reformed clothing' to Mrs Bloomer in 1951, after which Mrs M publicised it in her temperance magazine, The Lily. I'll bet she was a load of laughs...

feetlebaum Mon 14-Sep-15 06:59:58

1851 - not 1951!

rosesarered Mon 14-Sep-15 08:57:00

grin Yes Feetle, I believe that no party at the time was complete unless she was there to grace it, and her drunken handstands upon the dining table were the talk of the town!

Elegran Mon 14-Sep-15 09:34:22

Weren't bloomers a very useful garment worn by early lady cyclists? A distinct improvement on voluminous skirts and split drawers. They weren't underwear when they first worn, they were more like fuller versions of the legging that are in fashion at the moment, and worn with a short full skirt, so auntie's red needlecord tied below the knee would have been fully visible and pretty daring.

They were associated with women's rights campaigners and convention breakers, and got women into a lot of trouble (not the kind that split knickers made easier).

Lilygran Mon 14-Sep-15 10:44:28

Trousers and skirts are only traditionally male/ female in Western Europe. What I don't understand is why more men don't wear skirts. Apart from kilts.

Luckygirl Mon 14-Sep-15 10:49:56

Yes - I have always thought that a loose garment like a skirt might be better for men as the could "let it all hang out" instead of cramping the crown jewels into tight pants and trousers.

I once speculated whether cycling might be rather uncomfortable for men and was told it was not, as they sit on their "barse" - I queried the definition and was told it is "the no-mans-land between your b****ks and your arse" - so now I know.

Back to religion grin.

Penstemmon Mon 14-Sep-15 16:18:12

I suspect skirts were preferred by women as it made maintaining privacy marginally easier when going to the toilet!

I used to only ever wear trousers..certainly when teaching as they are far more practical in a primary school classroom.

Interesting reference to trousers being plural... my dad an EAL speaker always said 'trouser' rather than trousers or pair of trousers!

MargaretX Mon 14-Sep-15 16:31:44

Yes I think that was the reason and in a society where women stayed in a group and did housework and child care amd the men were away it was OK.
I just seems to me that in societies where men have the upperhand and control their women it has lot to do with what clothing they wear and somehow women's views or feelings about their own comfort or pleasure are not taken into consideration.
I know that church leaders wear frocks and have to admit I don't know why. Men remain a puzzle, it was ever thus!

Penstemmon Mon 14-Sep-15 16:42:50

however there are places where men & women do not wear much clothing at all but roles are still gender defined!