Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Extreme Religion

(102 Posts)
Granny23 Thu 03-Dec-15 12:47:26

Got this from a friend via Facebook this am. It was a new line of thought for me and I wondered what Gransnetters would make of it:

" Just seems to me that people are using religion as a means to highlight our differences rather than our common morally accepted beliefs. Whilst the numbers of those who practice religion seem to be declining it seems that those practitioners left are becoming more fundamental and radical in their views. That includes Jews, Christians and Muslims among others..."

Anniebach Thu 03-Dec-15 12:57:56

I can't agree, I think some are put on the defensive because of constant verbal attacks on their faith. Anti semitism is on the rise, Muskims are being verbally and physically attacked and from experience on this forum Christians are mocked for their faith by some. I have no problem with anyone saying they are atheist, that's not ridiculing my faith , comments such as believing in God is the same as believing in the tooth fairy is unkind and it is mocking . If I am respectful to atheists and people of different faiths, don't tell them they are wrong or stupid why the need to tell me I am wrong or stupid

mollie Thu 03-Dec-15 13:04:19

I don't agree either. Some people will always take the opportunity to highlight the extremes to make a point. I don't believe that the numbers of those who practice religion is declining either - I suspect, at least in the Christian church, there are lots of factions and splinter groups that don't get added to the count. They still practice but not in old churches...

Luckygirl Thu 03-Dec-15 13:15:51

I think the idea that there are people of faith who are becoming more fundamentalist in their views is very probable. Smaller number of more concentrated strength maybe. The more fundamentalist people become, the more intolerance will arise. We are watching this play out right now.

I agree that concentrating on shared moral values is a useful and positive way forward; but there are some fundamentalists who do not share a moral framework with anyone except their cronies, and that framework is truly inhuman.

Granny23 Thu 03-Dec-15 13:44:52

I don't think the comment is aimed at people like you Anniebach. Your New Testament based Christianity is identical to the faith in which I was brought up (tho' I am no longer a believer). I think it refers more to the fundamentalist allegedly Christian small Churches which are blossoming all over America and elsewhere, which are exclusive rather than inclusive - all believing they are 'The Chosen'.

Anniebach Thu 03-Dec-15 13:48:25

I have no time for the 'we are the chosen' lot Granny 23, but even people like me are ridiculed ,why?

Smileless2012 Thu 03-Dec-15 15:56:09

There is no religion that I'm aware of that teaches it's followers to persecute, maim, torture and kill those of other faiths or of no faith. Those who indulge in such practices are not in my view fundamentalist or radicalised, they're terrorists.

I always read the threads on this forum but seldom contribute. My faith is extremely important to me but my theological knowledge limited so I often feel that I have nothing much too contribute. I enjoy a lot of the regular posters including you Anniebach and soontobe.

I don't know why you're at times ridiculed Anniebach, perhaps it's because you speak from the heart with passion and certainty about your faith and that makes some feel uncomfortable. If that is the reason, take comfort in the knowledge that often what you say speaks to me and I'm sure many othersflowers.

Elegran Thu 03-Dec-15 16:05:36

Anniebach I would not have said that you are ridiculed on GN. People disagreeing with you or getting annoyed at something you say is not ridicule. I don't see anyone saying, "What a ridiculous woman! The things she says are hysterically funny!"

Maggiemaybe Thu 03-Dec-15 16:51:44

I agree with Anniebach about this. I have seen her - or more precisely, her faith - mocked on Gransnet and it is very unedifying. I have no problem with anyone believing what the heck they will, or won't, as long as they cause no harm. "Clever" comments about the tooth fairy, magic, etc, by those who think they are superior because they do not believe in what can't, after all, be proved, cause hurt. Live and let live.

Luckygirl Thu 03-Dec-15 19:43:27

No-one should be ridiculed because if their religion, or indeed their absence of it.

I wish it truly were the case that there is no religion that advocates cruelty and torture.

rosequartz Thu 03-Dec-15 19:52:52

I was in a packed cathedral this afternoon; many of the people there probably don't attend church every week (I don't) but I am sure that they have an underlying Christian faith without being dogmatic about it even if they waver sometimes (like me).
A friend didn't go with me because I don't think she has a particular religion that she adheres to and that is her deicision and fine by me.

Yes, anti-semitism is on the rise, sadly, but I don't think it is by Christians or atheists.

It's very arrogant of anyone to think they are 'chosen by God' - what makes them better than anyone else or more special?

Elegran Thu 03-Dec-15 20:02:38

Making parallels between a faith and the tooth fairy, Santa Claus etc is not ridiculing the person. It is more like rejecting an opinion or a political dogma than condemning the person. It does rather bracket believers with children who do not (yet) disbelieve in fairies, but is that such a bad comparison? given that they are told that "unless you become as little children, you will in no way enter the kingdom of heaven"?

rosequartz Thu 03-Dec-15 20:07:38

hmm yes, I can see the distinction
The person making the comment sees a parallel between Jesus and the tooth fairy. The person at whom the comment may be aimed sees it quite differently, it is probably the basis of their faith and their way of life. So it is in fact undermining their true belief and belittling it.

However, Santa Claus was real - St Nicholas!
www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/who-is-st-nicholas/

Elegran Thu 03-Dec-15 20:27:58

But it is not necessarily aimed at the person - though it is interpreted as an attack because they identify so strongly with their belief.

We could get into the realms of deep psychology here. Probably time to move on.

Ana Thu 03-Dec-15 20:31:03

You'd think that those who are secure in their belief would just shrug off any attempt to ridicule or belittle that belief.

rosequartz Thu 03-Dec-15 20:32:42

True

Anniebach Thu 03-Dec-15 21:25:28

Smileness, yes I speak from the heart there is no other way to speak of faith , Christ spoke from the heart so all Christians should in my opinion anyway, and thsnknyou

Thank you Maggiemaybe , yes it does hurt, I think because it is belittling Christ and it's natural if you love and are loved to feel hurt when that love is mocked .i understand atheists don't believe Christ died for us but I believe he did , all I ask is my faith can be treated with the same respect as I treat those of no faith, I never try to persuade anyone to think again, atheism is their choice .

Anniebach Thu 03-Dec-15 21:32:30

Rosequartz, anyone who thinks they are chosen or special are so wrong,ni believe everyone is special to God ,he said so - you are honoured in my eyes and I love you,

I think it!s a pity many have lost their faith through fire and brime stone attitudes or we are special / chosen . There is so much joy in faith, it needn't be heavy iron and chains

Crafting Thu 03-Dec-15 21:53:03

My sentiments exactly Annie. Not only joy but comfort and hope.

soontobe Thu 03-Dec-15 22:14:31

Anniebach. Can I ask you a question?
Is your life's philosphy that everyone is equal, no matter what they do and say? And that is what you base your thoughts and life around, to fit that narrative?

soontobe Thu 03-Dec-15 22:15:50

It isnt heavy iron and chains. Our burden is light.
A lot lot lighter than those who dont believe.

soontobe Thu 03-Dec-15 22:22:20

Much as I dont want to, I really have to correct your 21.32 post. God was speaking about and to Israel. If you just go even one verse later, you will see he most certainly does not say the same thing about Egypt and Ethiopia at that time! shock

soontobe Thu 03-Dec-15 22:23:03

I am talking about the you are honoured in my eyes bit.

rosequartz Thu 03-Dec-15 23:19:10

Rosequartz, anyone who thinks they are chosen or special are so wrong
I think we are agreeing there anniebach, I hope that is how my post is interpreted, I mean they think they are chosen above all others who don't believe what they do (just because they believe it and think they are right). iyswim

Anniebach Thu 03-Dec-15 23:27:20

soon, you are comparing the known world then with now