Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Kill Coronovirus with Prayer

(130 Posts)
NannyC2 Tue 10-Mar-20 14:27:29

Turn to prayer for protection against the present virus. There are prayers for pestilence used in the past. Trust in the Lord.
In a letter from Padre Pio to the seers of Garabandal, he gave the following advice ...." Pray and make others pray because the world is at the beginning of its perdition. They don’t believe in you or in your talks with the Lady in White; they’ll do it when it's too late."

So, many are unaware that we are all moving towards a
personal encounter with God.
A warning will come first from which many will die - not from anything physical but from emotion within the heart as the inner warning, felt by everyone, will be a time when each person sees before them, the good and the evil they have committed in their lives. The realization of what they have done will be just too much to bear for many.
At the outset, a sign will appear in the sky which will be alike to 2 comets crashing.

On the 29th of March 2020 there will be a re-dedication of England to Mary.
In 1381, England was dedicated to Mary by King Richard II and was 'set apart for her among the nations. This year, the Christians of England are called to make a personal dedication to Mary, taking up her example as Christ’s first disciple.
History shows us that when the people pray a surrender to God’s will for their lives, society is transformed. By taking up this personal dedication in 2020, you can be a part of the renewal of this nation, drawing ourselves closer to the will of our loving God, through Mary.

People have turned away from God .....but it is not too late.
As a Christian I have to try to help people turn back to God. There are those who will not listen ....for many reasons, but we cannot give up the fight to save others.
God Bless and protect you.

Elegran Tue 10-Mar-20 16:25:20

Pray if you wish, but also follow all the practical advice available from people who know most about how the virus is being spread and what measures will make it less likely that you catch it.

If you want biblical authority for observing practicalities as well as spiritual ones, then remember the wise virgins who were ready and the foolish virgins who were not.

No loving God wants you to spend so much of your time and energy on him and on the future of your soul that you neglect to take care of the excellent body he provided to house that soul, or to ignore the wisdom that he gave to scientists and medical experts.

curvygran950 Tue 10-Mar-20 16:30:06

March 29th British SummerTime begins ?.

Charleygirl5 Tue 10-Mar-20 16:31:41

Thank you for the reminder. There is so much hysteria that may have escaped my notice.

humptydumpty Tue 10-Mar-20 16:39:30

Maybe this is a wind-up, I see Nanny has not come back to the thread...

Eglantine21 Tue 10-Mar-20 16:48:50

Ha, I’ve just looked it all up on Google. It’s a cross between Nostradamus, the Panacea Society and Terry Prachett.

I’m still not sure where King Richard comes into it though....

B9exchange Tue 10-Mar-20 16:54:26

Ah, it's the Catholic faith, see rcdow.org.uk/faith/re-dedication-of-england-as-the-dowry-of-mary---2020-/

Being of the Anglican persuasion I an praying and hand washing, indeed you can do both at once! smile

B9exchange Tue 10-Mar-20 16:55:26

You could try the Lord's Prayer once instead of Happy Birthday twice?

grannyqueenie Tue 10-Mar-20 16:57:36

mumofmadboys you have said what many well balanced people of faith would say. Thank you!

pollyperkins Tue 10-Mar-20 16:58:37

Who is the Lady in White?

curvygran950 Tue 10-Mar-20 16:59:56

I think saying Psalm 23 would be a good hand-washing addition. Very comforting!

lemongrove Tue 10-Mar-20 17:02:33

Prayer does seem to affect your wellbeing, so could well boost the immune system.
Still wash your hands well though!?

NannyC2 Tue 10-Mar-20 17:16:13

My, I thought that headline would capture many!

Nonsense to some - okay you are free to choose. I stand by my comments and belief in the power of prayer. It is most interesting to hear your views. of course I follow sensible guidelines, it would be foolish to do otherwise.

No, you would not be expected to hear anything about the 're-dedication' (Walsingham) - tabloid press would have no particular interest, apart from some religious publications.

Someone mentioned 'changing lives.' Mary's Meals' provides chronically hungry children in many African countries with one meal every school day, encouraging education that can lift them out of poverty. This is done by donations and the love of many people who in this country also (for the same project), fill back packs (school bags) by recycling some of our own children's and filling them with pencils, pens, notepads. pencil cases, towel, shorts/ t-shirt or dress, flip flops, toothbrush, soap, spoon etc. This was started at Craig's Lodge in Dalmally Scotland.

For a young man closer to home, he came to accept God in his life and is filled with radiance and prayer. He was a Muslim - and as you know this can be a very dangerous thing to do. For him, God is LOVE. He was not forced into anything but merely decided one day to go to an Alpha Course from whence his life began to have a brand new meaning.
God changes lives every day. Persecuted Christians are suffering worldwide, but so great is their faith they will not yield, knowing God is with them in their pain.

I think you have had enough comment for now - stay well and I will pray for you all.

varian Tue 10-Mar-20 17:21:55

I don't think it is only believers who recognise that prayer is a force for good. So thanks to you all for your prayers,.

Eglantine21 Tue 10-Mar-20 17:29:28

Oh that’s a shame.

Mary’s Meal was a charity I supported. You’ve put me right off them now.

Grannmarie Tue 10-Mar-20 17:43:15

I received this prayer from a young Christian woman this morning. I do believe in the power of prayer, I pray every day for my family and also for the sick. I noticed a few new faces at Mass this morning, perhaps people are turning to God at this worrying time.

phoenix Tue 10-Mar-20 17:49:03

Just what I would expect (and respect) Charleygirl made of strong stuff!

trisher Tue 10-Mar-20 17:55:11

I wondered at first which Mary we were dealing with- the Virgin, Magdalen or Bloody. I see it's the Virgin. I suppose after 29th anyone who contracts Corona virus will do so because they didn't pray, or not long enough or hard enough.
Well it's as mad a theory as most of the conspiracy stories knocking about!

Mtc59 Tue 10-Mar-20 18:00:07

Millions of people have faiths of all kinds and spiritual beliefs which include prayers and offerings. We should respect it not scorn it. Prayer brings comfort to people and unites people in a common cause. I pray because in a world where so much is beyond my control and comprehension my faith is a personal constant.
Of course I take the recommended physical precautions as well, but please respect those with faith whatever it may be.

SueDonim Tue 10-Mar-20 18:36:37

No doubt if someone catches coronavirus and survives it will be because God has saved them, but should someone die, it will be the fault of the medics and staff. That’s often the way this type of things unfolds.hmm

NannyC2 Tue 10-Mar-20 18:57:18

Thank you Mtc59 for your kind comments, also Grannmarie's inclusion.
Nice to know I am not the only one using a prayer of deliverance. This is the exact point- using a deliverance prayer against pestilence for protection. It is good to see someone recognizing what lay behind the 'bold' title to capture peoples' responses.
I don't know why you would be put off Mary's Meals, Eglantine 21? They do very good work.
Sometimes it is good to look deeper into things. I don't blame God for things that go wrong and certainly have great admiration for all our medics and staff who do a stirling job!
I have relatives who are nurses and carers and a grandson who often has to visit Great Ormond Street Hospital.
It is good to exchange views but without judging others and being respectful in doing so.

chris8888 Tue 10-Mar-20 19:02:11

Whatever works for you, personally I think its a load of rubbish.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Mar-20 19:15:06

If your blind faith has taken you down this path then who am I to tell you that your prayers are absolutely worthless.

Please also remember to thank your god for all the hard work and dedication of the scientific minds, healthcare workers and everyone else doing so much of real value to help us recover from this with as few casualties as possible.

Eglantine21 Tue 10-Mar-20 19:39:17

NannyC I think it’s because your original post about the ending of times, the seers of Garabandal and bizarrely the actions of Ruchard II seemed to me to be designed to stir up fear and panic in the vulnerable.

People are fearful and you traded on that “to get their attention”. I think it was reprehensible.

Prayers at this time should be for those who are ill, for those who care for them and for those who grieve. Not for yourself.

Then you went on to talk about Marys Meals and I am wondering quite what teaching is delivered along with food amongst the poor and vulnerable.

I’m afraid your post has given me a distaste for an organisation that you support.

Dec46 Tue 10-Mar-20 19:41:50

I trust that your belief doesn't suggest anyone who gets Coronavirus does so because they didn't pray hard enough or used the wrong type of prayer?

Callistemon Tue 10-Mar-20 19:52:36

phoenix, don't worry, we have St David, not to mention St Oedoceus, St Asaph to St Winifred- just too many to name.