Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

near death experiences NDE

(34 Posts)
red1 Mon 07-Feb-22 14:05:00

Ive read a lot about them several years ago, a friends son died,the time not known to me.I had a 'sense' he was near me at the time of his death, the day after i found out he died. spooky, seems to be a common occurence .Is it imagination, chance, who knows? anyone had anything similar?

TinyHouseGranny Mon 20-Jun-22 13:37:41

Hello red1 - I did have NDE's myself and witnessed others similar. Please, embrace the experience as it represents a window for knowledge and an opportunity for awakenings. NDE's are real and quite common. Be inspired to research everything you can find on this subject and let your gut guide you. Be well <3

Chestnut Mon 20-Jun-22 14:53:12

Many people have spoken of their experiences when bordering on death but the sceptical just say they are hallucinating! They always have an answer, don't they.

volver Mon 20-Jun-22 14:55:41

Have you ever had a feeling that someone was near you and it turned out that they weren't dead?

I expect you can't remember because it happens all the time. You only remember the time a person dies.

Coincidence.

Kate1949 Mon 20-Jun-22 16:42:15

I'm not a believer in any religion or after life. However, at the point my teenage nephew lost his fight with cancer, he sat up in bed, gave a thumbs up sign and was gone.

RichmondPark Mon 20-Jun-22 17:15:11

My grandmother died suddenly of a stroke whilst I was at primary school. She and I were devoted to each other.

I'd gone to school perfectly well but mid morning, at about the time Grandma died, I became poorly and was taken home by a teacher.

By that evening I was quite well again. My mum always believed that Grandma had tried to take me with her.

Minutebol1 Sun 17-Jul-22 04:00:32

What’s your zodiac sign

BlueBelle Sun 17-Jul-22 08:04:08

Unfortunately and I say unfortunately because I think these moments can be comforting to those near but if you have a more practical less imaginative brain you don’t have these moments
It’s never happened to me and maybe I m the poorer for it If a picture dropped off the wall at the moment a relative died
I d presume the nail was weak or a heavy vehicle went past to dislodge it I wouldn’t look for a spiritual meaning behind it

MiniMoon Sun 17-Jul-22 10:20:11

My mother died in hospital during the night. I'd visited her the previous evening and promised to go back the following day.
In the middle of the night, an unwound (not wound up for years) musical box on my dressing table played it's little tune.
I didn't make anything of it until my sister phoned with the news early the next morning.
Whether it was my mother saying goodbye or not, who knows?

Caleo Sun 17-Jul-22 10:29:38

The neurophysiology and the interpretation of NDEs are two separate topics. The former pertains to a science forum. The latter pertains to psychology .

25Avalon Sun 17-Jul-22 11:26:04

I thought a NDE was when someone ‘died’, felt they had left their body, saw bright lights etc but then were told it wasn’t their time and they had to return to their body which they did as they were resuscitated and lived.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 17-Jul-22 11:30:59

25Avalon

I thought a NDE was when someone ‘died’, felt they had left their body, saw bright lights etc but then were told it wasn’t their time and they had to return to their body which they did as they were resuscitated and lived.

That is the way the phrase is most commonly used.

The experiences related here would be classed as telepathy by those of us who research such phenomena.

yogitree Sun 17-Jul-22 11:36:35

Many years ago I was driving my delivery van when I suddenly experienced the unique smells associated with my dear Italian Uncle's special sugo sauce. It was if it was being cooked in the van. When I got home that evening I found out he had died around the time I had the experience.

karmalady Sun 17-Jul-22 11:41:06

my brother, working in a very manufacturing plant, tool maker and his big bench was 100% horizontal. No one close by that bench and something weighty fell off. Brother dashed home to find that our mum had died in a care home, that very minute when that item fell off

I have had several and they are all comforting

25Avalon Sun 17-Jul-22 11:56:24

When my son died in hospital in the early hours of the morning I half woke hearing the bleeping of his heart monitor. Whilst trying to make sense of it the sound stopped and I looked at the clock. Both dd’s awoke suddenly at the same time feeling their brother was there. A short while later the telephone rang.

Oldwoman70 Sun 17-Jul-22 13:01:07

When on holiday I had a dream about a close friend, who was ill and confined to a wheelchair. In the dream she ran past me and I stretched out my hand to stop her and told her to be careful - she looked straight at me, smiled and said "It's OK I'm alright now" When I arrived home I found she had died the same night I had the dream.

Another time I was considering moving some paintings but was reluctant because DH had chosen to place them where they were. During the night I heard a crash - on investigating one of the paintings had fallen to the floor, examining the picture wire and hook both were unbroken - I took it as a sign from DH that he was OK with the paintings being moved

nanna8 Sun 17-Jul-22 13:23:14

I had a NDE in my mid twenties. I heard a very clear voice telling me I had to go back and look after my new baby. I also saw a bright light at the end of a tunnel. My husband was there with me in the hospital crying his eyes out because he thought I had died. I just accepted it at the time and didn’t think much about it, I wasn’t a Christian then. As has been said, it is more common than you’d think, especially the bright light.

Caleo Mon 18-Jul-22 12:20:39

Avalon, I am so sorry for your loss

25Avalon Mon 18-Jul-22 13:03:58

Thank you Caleo. It was sometime ago and we have learnt to live with it of sorts. Plus we have signs from our son at important moments in the form of a green woodpecker. People may think we are daft but it has happened so many times now and is a comfort to feel he is watching over us.

Antonia Mon 18-Jul-22 13:14:58

It's comforting to read these experiences.

tickingbird Mon 18-Jul-22 13:21:45

The Wisdom of NDE’s by Dr Penny Sartori is a very interesting and thought provoking read. Nothing to do with mumbo jumbo and studied at length. Makes you think.

Callistemon21 Mon 18-Jul-22 13:28:58

25Avalon

That is my understanding too.

SynchroSwimmer Mon 18-Jul-22 13:44:05

I recall reading an article 2 decades ago by a surgeon working in critical care or similar in Oxford. He was testing the theory of patients who had been resuscitated, many of whom talked about white light, tunnels and so forth.

As an experiment he placed something like a square of white paper and other objects on top of cabinets, invisible and above eye-level. He was convinced when recovering patients then accurately described having seen things “hidden” above the cabinets.

cornergran Mon 18-Jul-22 13:44:06

My Mum was often dangerously ill and recounted experiences of paths and bright lights along with a sense of peace. She found it reassuring.

In my 30’s I woke to see an Aunt by the bed. Our two families spent much time together. Talked to Mr C about it and decided I needed to watch what I ate before sleep. Later that day my parents phoned to tell me my Aunt had died. I asked the time and yes it was when I had ‘seen’ her. It didn’t worry me, she’d just come to say goodbye.

NanKate Mon 18-Jul-22 14:23:29

Many years ago a nurse friend told me about very sick children she nursed in hospital. She was talking to one small child who said ‘I can’t stay long they are coming to collect me’. She died shortly afterwards.