Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Any experience of cults or strict churches ?

(34 Posts)
Floradora9 Sun 26-Jun-22 14:34:45

I have been reading a book by Rebecca Stott about her experience growing up in the Exclusive Brethern sect. Frankly it was terrible especially if you were a girl . It got me thinking of an old school friend , lets call her M , whose family were Plymouth Brethern .I really did not realise they were different from my family though M and her sisters and mother wore very plain clothes and my friend's hair looked like her mum cut it . We went to high school together and M was a bright gitl who went on to study medicine . We lost touch but I later heard that she married a fellow doctor who was from the Indian or Pakistan . Because she married out of the church her parents never spoke to her again . On reflection I find this so sad. Her husband went on to have a very successful career and was given a knighthood. What did her parents think when they saw the couple's photo in the local press ?

Aveline Mon 27-Jun-22 10:31:07

I agree with all of the above but have to chip in about two unrelated former clients of mine. Both were members of a Jehovah's Witness church and were very happy in it. The structure gave them good support in life and a social circle neither would otherwise have. I was surprised but could see that the life and lifestyle suited them very well.
It takes all sorts!

Squiffy Mon 27-Jun-22 10:44:11

Many years ago a couple of JWs rang my Aunt and Uncle’s doorbell. My U told them that they weren’t interested because he didn’t believe in anything and my A was a devout C of E, but the JWs continued chatting.

My A went to the door and invited them in for a cup of tea. The JWs were politely told that they were welcome, but no preaching!

After that, for many years, the JWs called regularly for tea, cake and a chat, as they enjoyed it so much. Of course, it was also welcome company for my A and U!

I would add that the church that my A had attended for over forty years and to which she had been a very generous donor did b****r all for her when she was housebound! Not even a phone call to enquire how she was as they hadn’t seen her lately! ?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 27-Jun-22 10:49:34

We had regular visits from JWs, who were always told that I’m CofE, husband Catholic. Nevertheless very difficult to get rid of until we got German shepherds! Not one visit since!

1summer Mon 27-Jun-22 11:04:20

Many years ago my teenage brother invited 2 JW into our house, he then couldn’t get rid of them. When my father, a devout Catholic, came home my brother was upset as these people had been in the house hours. It ended with my father chasing them down the street shouting at them.
With regards to Plymouth Brethren I worked with two sisters in a bank, everyone had to sign a secrecy document but these two girls wouldn’t as it was against religion. They were lovely girls but could never join in conversations about TV, music, makeup or popular culture. They both left when they married I know one sister was upset about this as she wanted to continue working.

nanna8 Mon 27-Jun-22 11:15:36

I belonged to a cult for a few years and when I left they never spoke to me again or acknowledged me if we passed in the street. They used to have parties where they invited outsiders and were very friendly and lovely but sooner or later they would start putting their strong views across. They didn’t like to call themselves Christians and they had very strange ‘church’ services with the leader randomly talking about the New Testament and very tuneless ‘hymns’ written by one of the members and sung by another. After I left I attended a mainstream baptist church and what a relief that was.

Greenfinch Mon 27-Jun-22 11:58:38

I used to teach in a college run by Seventh Day Adventists ( not a cult but given a bad name by the David Koresh -Waco episode)and it was one of the happiest times of my career. Their interpretation of the Bible is literal in that they worship on the Sabbath (Saturday)and expect/hope for an imminent second coming.Also they are mainly vegetarian and don’t drink alcohol or coffee. They can tithe their salary ( not compulsory) and they follow the teachings of Ellen White but otherwise their beliefs are similar to mainstream Protestant Christianity.
The staff and students I encountered were tolerant and friendly. They had come from all over the world to study English and Theology and the atmosphere pervading the College was second to none. It was calm and peaceful,set in beautiful gardens and conducive to experiences of the spirit. As an outsider I learnt a lot.

nanna8 Mon 27-Jun-22 13:41:32

I used to know a Seventh day Adventist family. They were lovely people, kind and very humble. They had adopted a young person with many problems and disabilities and they gave everything they had to make her happy. In contrast our old next door neighbours were JWs, very closed and one of them later got into trouble for molesting young people. Ugh, put me right off them.

Glorianny Mon 27-Jun-22 13:58:31

JackyB

You don't actually say whether you enjoyed reading it. I would also recommend "Educated" by Tara Westover who went through a similar experience. She shows that there is a way out, but her description of her childhood does have some horrific moments. Not an easy book to read, but I did stick with it and much of it has remained with me.

I read this as well it is fascinating. Her mother now runs an alternative medicine provider in the US. Having read how Tara had to pass bottles through her circled fingers so many times to empower them I do wonder what they do? butterflyexpressions.org/welcome
Her mother denies Tara's story is true.