Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Out of the mouths of babes ........

(80 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Fri 24-Mar-23 19:33:03

Driving my GD home from primary school, she asked me if I had any clay, and I explained that I did not. I asked her what she wanted to make and she said "A dead body." I did a bit of a double-take and asked her what for. She said it is for school - I have to make one for the Easter Garden.

Is it just me who thinks this is inappropriate and utterly grim? And, as far as I can remember, the tomb was a said to be empty - rather misses the point of the story.

Incidentally the same child is talking with parents about secondary school in the future and she asked whether the options were church schools as she did not want that - she said she had had enough of it all at the village CofE aligned primary school.

Something is going wrong somewhere. No-one has put that idea in her head.

Jackiest Sun 26-Mar-23 10:29:33

I rejected religion at the age of 8 and have not seen or heard anything since then that has made me doubt that it was the correct decision.

Witzend Sun 26-Mar-23 10:35:28

My decidedly non-religious dd and SiL were only too pleased that their 2 elder Gdcs were eligible for the local C of E primary and are very pleased with it - it’s a highly rated and very happy school.
Of course there is a certain emphasis on C of E aspects but that is surely only to be expected. In any case much of what they learn - Bible stories etc. - is - to me, anyway - part of general knowledge.

I don’t know about anybody else, but the fairly mild C of E variety of religion was part of every day school life for me in the 1950s and 1960s - morning assembly with prayers etc. - as it was for dh, and neither of us has ever felt that we were ‘brainwashed’ - once we could think for ourselves we made our own minds up about faith, or lack of it.

It was different for Catholics, I dare say - some of the things I’ve been told by an Irish Catholic friend are enough to make one’s hair stand on end.

Joseanne Sun 26-Mar-23 10:41:43

^Not Christian-bashing at all - just concerned about children being given true information, as in "Christians believe that Jesus came back to life", rather than "Jesus came back to life.^"
Yes, good point Luckygirl and I guess it depends on the context and on the individual delivering the lesson and the tone. Was it the Art teacher, or the Vicar or the over stretched "do it all" class teacher who might not have had time to preface every comment with "Christians believe"?
My grandfather was a clergyman and in church would always use the pronoun "we believe" because his large congregation came voluntarily. During school visits he didn't envelope the children with the word "we" but used to say, "The scriptures teach that and it would be a good idea to re enact and follow."

Blondiescot Sun 26-Mar-23 12:06:11

Oreo

Nothing is wrong with that Joseanne and there is no big outcry in this country to change anything. Just the OP and a couple of others on this thread that don’t want any religious themes in schools.

I have no objection to children being taught about different religions in school. What I do object to is religious worship in state schools - which is totally different.