Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Weather today

(36 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 08-Dec-11 13:02:11

Just checked the BBC website and BBC Scotland is advising all non-essential broadcast staff to go home before 14:00. Thinking about our Gransnetters in Scotland and the far North of England; for some I'm sure it will be exciting, but for others maybe a bit scary. Let us know how you're getting on. hmm

glassortwo Thu 08-Dec-11 13:06:53

grannaya I think Scotland are going to bear the brunt of it, the North East have had weather warnings for later this afternoon, it has been grotty since the middle of the night here and it seems to be building.

greenmossgiel Thu 08-Dec-11 13:21:00

Yes - we've battened down the hatches here! Son stuck in a works van in Edinburgh because the Forth Bridge has been closed to all traffic. All children have been sent home from school. I've got the gasman in....mending my boiler... again confused Worried about my oak tree - (I hope it stays up!) sad

Gally Thu 08-Dec-11 13:36:17

Just you hang in there Green - I think the sea will be making its way along the A92 towards you very soon! At least I can get on with catching up on GN from behind my battened down hatches ...nearly time for a wine if it carries on like this..grin

supernana Thu 08-Dec-11 13:55:16

WOW!!!! This is some storm. Right beside the sea on the exposed Kintyre coast. Our windows caked with salt spray. Spectacular and a wee bit scary. Gally definitely need a warming wee dram when the sun goes down...round about 4 o'clock. PS Rory tucked up in his wheelie bin apartment. Just shone the torch through the bedroom window and saw the yellow of his eyes. grin

Annobel Thu 08-Dec-11 14:01:32

Even in Cheshire, the trees are lashing and the rain is horizontal. It must be awful up north. Is it going to spread south?

Gally Thu 08-Dec-11 14:02:29

VERY scary Super - just you take care - hope the wheelie bin doesn't take off with Rory inside - a blue one on its back just shot past the house on its way towards the golf course! I've seen some 'weather' here over the years, but this is one of the worst days yet shock

supernana Thu 08-Dec-11 14:23:58

Gally We've anchored the cherry tree [to which Rory's wheelie bin is tethered] to a mountainous pile of concrete blocks. Getting so bad, now. The sea spray is coating our windows with salt. If the power lines remain in situ, I shall be very surprised. Candles ready. Fire laid. Malt standing by...Well, we pensioners need to keep warm, we're told. wink

absentgrana Thu 08-Dec-11 14:27:26

It's been blowing pretty fiercely up here in the North-east, but I think the rain has finally stopped. Are the cats disturbed by the howling in the chimney? Of course not – as usual they are snuggled in a row under a radiator or lounging about on one of the sofas. I am the one anxiously looking out of windows and worrying whether Mr absent will be blown halfway to Scotland on his way home.

Annobel Thu 08-Dec-11 14:28:33

Glad you have your priorities right, super. wine

Notsogrand Thu 08-Dec-11 14:34:17

I hope you all keep your internet connections so we know you're ok! shock
Take care all of you having big weather! x

GoldenGran Thu 08-Dec-11 14:55:07

Batten down the hatches and keep warm and safe all those in the big winds,my sister in Glasgow and is watching stuff fly past her window. Keep safe smile

supernana Thu 08-Dec-11 14:58:37

absent if Mr A comes knocking on our door, I shall invite him in and care for him until the storm dies down.

If I go all quiet on you, it will because the power is down. I shall miss you all grin

absentgrana Thu 08-Dec-11 15:16:52

supernana Mr absent would be sure to find your door – he can detect a good malt at 50 paces. You might never get rid of him. grin

Granny23 Thu 08-Dec-11 15:19:27

Supposed to start here approx 3.00pm but has in fact calmed down a bit at the moment. Managed to take and collect DGC from nursery school and now safely home with their Dad. Dad's school sent pupils home at 12 noon but staff were told to stay or be debited with an unauthorised absence - to which the reponse seems to have been 'Aye, Right' as they departed out the back door, thus avoiding the Rector's office.

supernana Thu 08-Dec-11 15:32:03

absent Sounds like we'd get along just fine grin Granny23 Here, the wind is ten times worse...screaming at the windows. Sea is so high I cannot believe how it remains just the other side of the road...very thankful that it does, however.

numberplease Thu 08-Dec-11 15:45:31

Supernana, living where you are the weather must look spectacular, but do please stay safe and warm.
Greenmossgiel, hope the oak tree and your son stay safe. Sorry, didn`t mean to prioritise them!
It`s blowing a hooley here as well, nearly blew me over a shlort while ago, and given the size of me, it proves that it was a strong gust! Took little grandson to nursery at 12.30pm, he loved the wind!

gracesmum Thu 08-Dec-11 15:56:35

Sending good wishes for safety to all GNetters being blown about -sitting here in the soft south (well Midlands) you can forget how nature can remind us all too effectively of the little control we actually have. High waves and wild weather can look amazing but not when you are in the heart of it - or the "eye of the storm". I hope you and yours keep safe and warm. x

nanachrissy Thu 08-Dec-11 16:12:06

Been smugly and snuggly having a gorgeous lunch with a friend and watching the rain lashing down outside. Got home (in Cheshire) to find the porch about an inch deep in water!!! Ha ha! That'll teach me!.hmm

Hope all you girls up north are safe and sound. wink

bagitha Thu 08-Dec-11 17:26:11

We lost power for four hours, which is a short power cut for this area! We've also got parts of two trees down (hub described the rowan as 'shredded'), some guttering come adrift and the chimney cowl blown off. And yet one of our chickens has still decided to roost in a tree tonight. We call her Goldie but I think we might rename her Doolally!

nanachrissy Fri 09-Dec-11 10:18:08

Hope everyone is ok up there in Scotland? It certainly looked horrendous on the news!

supernana Fri 09-Dec-11 11:56:58

I'm sending warm (hugs) to all GNs and trust that you are all safe and well. What a storm! It's good to back on-line. We had two power cuts at the height of the storm. The wind was surely well over a 100 mph. Garden has suffered. Rory, the "bloshy" cat, appeared to sleep throughout the chaos. I made regular checks - shone a bright torch into the wheelie-bin apartment [furnished with an igloo basket and several fleeces] and all I could see was a big, black neatly curled shape [with a bowl of treats close at paw!] grin

numberplease Fri 09-Dec-11 15:54:29

Glad you all survived Supernana, sorry about your lovely garden.

supernana Fri 09-Dec-11 16:26:57

number the garden has a way of healing itself. Hope that you're keeping cosy and safe. Take a look at the image of today's scene from the window [in my photos] It's difficult to imagine the storm of 24 hours ago.

milkflake Fri 09-Dec-11 17:07:04

All our schools closed, it was pretty bad, the news today says a lot of people are still without power, not good in this weather is it.

Then the snow started today, but thankfully stopped.

Living by the sea Supernana must have been so scary.

Wonder what the weekend will bring??