Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Weather today

(37 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 08-Dec-11 13:02:11

Just checked the BBC website and BBC Scotland is advising all non-essential broadcast staff to go home before 14:00. Thinking about our Gransnetters in Scotland and the far North of England; for some I'm sure it will be exciting, but for others maybe a bit scary. Let us know how you're getting on. hmm

Annobel Fri 09-Dec-11 20:36:36

I came out of a meeting near Macclesfield, to find it snowing heavily - got soaked just crossing the road to the car. By the time I had descended to the level of my small town it was raining, though the temperature seemed to be just as low.

Carol Fri 09-Dec-11 21:03:54

Lots of snow up on the tops around Marple - looks lovely - hope it stays where it is, though!

Granny23 Sat 10-Dec-11 10:19:44

About 3" of snow lying in the garden but the main road right outside is clear but quite quiet (bit of a spelling challenge there). Don't know about the hills as the cloud is right down. Hills have vanished as they do from time to time, much to DGD1's amazment. She reckons that someone has drawn their curtains, I think it is a blind, but we both believe they are still there, just hiding.

Butternut Sun 11-Dec-11 13:40:00

Grim today - dower, dank, dirty and drizzly. sad

numberplease Sat 04-Feb-12 22:21:32

Well, we`ve finally got the snow, and pretty as it looks, it aint welcome! It`s OK whilst it`s fresh and soft and white, but then it turns to slush, which id horrid, then sometimes the slush freezes, and folk like me are scared ton put one foot in front of the other in case we fall, in my case, if I fall I can`t get up again without the help of a crane!

numberplease Sat 04-Feb-12 22:23:57

Sorry, that should have read "to", not "ton", although the latter IS more appropriate!

Pennysue Sat 04-Feb-12 23:30:51

Lots of snow here in Buckinghamshire - glad I am not at work tonight and having to drive home. Feeling for my colleagues some of whom will have the hills to get up (lanes have to come quite a bit after the main roads and major towns)

Ariadne Sun 05-Feb-12 07:02:42

Lots of snow here (Kent). Definitely NOT going to run the stand at the indoor charity boot fair - we live at the corner of two hills and they are very snowy; you have to back out on to one, then drive up, then drive down. Oh no.

Day in today, methinks, except that DH will insist on walking down to get his newspaper!

JessM Sun 05-Feb-12 07:44:33

Good choice! Keep safe.

Mamie Sun 05-Feb-12 08:16:30

About four inches and still snowing in Normandy. May not be stuck as long as previous years though, because the village now has a snow blade to attach to the farmer's tractor. Most people in the UK seem to think that they manage these things better abroad, but in six years we have never seen a snow plough here!

Jacey Sun 05-Feb-12 10:28:03

Neither have I Mamie ...I live on a main road in Kent ...the gritters were not even out last night!!

Ariadne ...it is pretty though! Probably wouldn't think so if I had to go walk out in it. Think I must have had a fox slink through the garden last night ...or one of those mythical huge cats!!