Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

My poor seagulls

(90 Posts)
whitewave Sun 09-Aug-15 08:05:59

Mum and Dad have been sat on the next since May I think and clearly something has gone wrong as there is no chick. All the other chicks around have flown the next but my parents are still taking it in turns to sit and bringing back food for each other chatting as they do so.
I am wondering how long before they abandon the attempt I do feel for them they are trying so hard.

whitewave Mon 10-Aug-15 14:58:25

Well you see ,gillybob seagulls were doing very well as sea birds until we fished all the teeming fish from the seas until we now have to have quotas. This drove hungry birds inland looking for food which they found in our rubbish dumps. They then made the rational decision to nest nearer the food source, and so began to nest on "cliffs" in the form of buildings. Seagulls make extremely good parents unlike some humans and will defend their young from any perceived threat, and being bird brained wthat will include another species who happened to be walking by.
We also used to love feeding them, but suddenly when the seagulls anticipate that the food in our hands is for them and grab it before another seahull gets it we change the rules and say they are vicious etc.

If we are to value this world and all the variety it offers, then we must be somewhat cleverer than we have been to date and learn to live with all the glory that is our natural world.

rosesarered Mon 10-Aug-15 15:45:59

Glory?hmm

whitewave Mon 10-Aug-15 15:47:42

Yes

rosesarered Mon 10-Aug-15 15:48:14

There is still teeming fish in the sea for gulls! We may have fished out the cod and haddock, which may well be sea-bottom feeders anyway, but there is plenty more, it's just easier for the gulls, less effort to swoop on a sandwich.

rosesarered Mon 10-Aug-15 15:49:36

It may not be a nuisance for you Whitewave, but there is no doubt at all it is for a great many people who live by the sea.

rosesarered Mon 10-Aug-15 15:54:33

Just as starlings were a big problem for cities a few years ago and also pigeons, which they had to do something about, so used birds of prey( like airports do.)We can't always accept the glory of nature.

Elegran Mon 10-Aug-15 15:58:22

I remember them snatching food out of the hands of people sitting peacefully eating on a seaside bench long before we overfished the seas (and there are still fish there for them).

They started going inland for food when so much food was thrown away uneaten and ended up on rubbish tips. Chicks learnt from their mothers where the easy pickings were and passed on the info. Before that we wasted less and it wasn't worth their while.

I visited a zoo in the Czech Republic where there was an enclosure covered in mesh containing as exhibits some of that rare exotic species (a long way from the sea) - the herring gull.

"We also used to love feeding them . ." It would have been better if they hadn't learnt that human hands contain food for them.

whitewave Mon 10-Aug-15 15:59:53

We have overfished by 90% in the past 50 years. As a Cornish woman I can remember the vast amount of herrings now no longer in existence. O ne of the staple herring gulls food
Gulls wouldn't take our sandwiches they have been train ed to do so by us

rosesarered Mon 10-Aug-15 16:09:13

The bottom fell out of the herring market, as it were, nobody wants them anymore, am sure there are plenty in the sea for the gulls as well as other fish.Animals always go for the easier option ( of course.)
I realise this thread was started as a light one, but think that even if you disagree with their reasons, a lot of people do not view seagulls as particularly nice birds, or have the same feelings about them as you do.Or pigeons, or mice for that matter.My sister's house is overrun every Winter by mice.

whitewave Mon 10-Aug-15 16:11:31

Get a terrier

rosesarered Mon 10-Aug-15 16:18:29

Not everyone wants a terrier either!Or a cat. mind you, most cats just add to the mouse population of a house in my experience.grin

POGS Mon 10-Aug-15 16:46:57

Of course there was the poor little dog that was pecked to death by gulls in a garden. !

Indinana Mon 10-Aug-15 16:56:19

If you read my earlier posts you will see that I was nearly knocked to the ground by a full trying to get to a person in front who had food. I jad none in my hand. And my FIL, as I said earlier, was dive bombed virtually every time he went I'm his back garden. Neither he nor I were being stupid by attracting the gulls in any way.

Indinana Mon 10-Aug-15 16:58:30

Gull, not full. And in his back garden, not I'm. Stupid iPhone grin

sunseeker Mon 10-Aug-15 17:00:25

I live some 12 miles from the sea yet seagulls are a still a pest. They do attack people, and no matter how much of a nature lover you are if an animal (or bird) attacks a child the reaction is to get rid of that animal, - just like the "good parent gulls". Gulls will also attack other birds they consider rivals for food.

whitewave Mon 10-Aug-15 19:49:50

Rick Stein enjoys the babies walking into his house. What a kind man!

Ana Mon 10-Aug-15 19:53:08

I thought the young were ferociously guarded and protected by the parent birds - certainly round here you daren't go near one without an adult gull squawking and swooping at you! shock

whitewave Mon 10-Aug-15 19:57:37

Well he obviously gives off kind vibes - he doesn't even mind them pooping! Respect.

rosesarered Tue 11-Aug-15 10:43:10

As long as he keeps them out of his restaurant in Padstow!

whitewave Thu 27-Aug-15 18:41:16

Still sitting!!!!

Anya Fri 28-Aug-15 07:51:57

You get this with broody hens too, sitting for months on eggs that are not going to hatch. They'll get the message eventually and give up.

whitewave Tue 27-Oct-15 09:20:44

As well as sitting seagulls I now have what appears a perfectly healthy pigeon that can't fly! He is sat in the greenhouse at the moment -I will give him another chance this morning (dog in house) if he is still the same he will have to go back in the greenhouse away from dog and cats.

Elrel Tue 27-Oct-15 10:51:54

Is he ringed? Racing pigeons get lost and tired. There is enough information on the ring to contact the owner.

Elrel Tue 27-Oct-15 10:54:02

Put pigeon in cardboard box with something soft, water and grain. He may well be strong enough to fly away before too long.

LuckyDucky Wed 28-Oct-15 00:12:13

Hey whitewave ever been to Mevagissy?

We arrived at lunch time; trippers were carrying fish n' chips to eat outside. A man opened his fishy parcel wide, revealing the enormity of his battered fish. While flourishing his lunch, a herring gull swooped. leaving the man with only small bits. lol
Who'd want to eat a scrap after it had fallen from a gull's beak? Yuk.

An aerial scrimmage ensued. grin The first gull lost half to another and so it continued.

BTW, we stayed overnight in Gloucester, in the city - on different trip. We were kept awake by the herring gulls' raucous calls. They only quietened when the lights went off :-( Then restarted at dawn.]

Can't find a smiley for tired or shattered.