Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Time to ban gun sports

(80 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Sep-20 10:53:34

A young golden eagle was fitted with a tracker and release this year.

He disappeared and his tracker was subsequently found wrapped in lead in a grouse moorland stream.

There has been footage of harriers being trapped and killed on television. Burning the moor every year releases tons of carbon into the atmosphere along with destroying habitat and untold species of reptiles, insects birds etc.

This simply cannot continue just for the pleasure of shooting a gun at some hapless bird.

It is disgusting and should be stopped.

BettyBoop49 Sat 26-Sep-20 10:32:06

I think pressure should be placed on our royal family who are heavily involved in Grouse shooting. Prince William says how much he loves ‘nature’ but yet he continues to shoot game birds for pleasure. Surely he can see the hypocrisy!

Anniebach Sat 26-Sep-20 10:36:52

Does he shoot for pleasure or are the birds for the table ?

Oopsminty Sat 26-Sep-20 10:39:09

The grouse end up on dinner plates.

They get eaten. Very expensive as well.

If I was a bird of any description I would prefer to meet my end when flying in open countryside

I'd rather ban horrendous abattoirs myself

Frizzywizzy Sat 26-Sep-20 10:46:16

Totally agree with you Whitewavemark2.

Minerva Sat 26-Sep-20 10:48:32

NoddingGanGan :

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-54295035

Caro57 Sat 26-Sep-20 10:53:11

What has murdering a Golden Eagle got to do with gun sports??!
Burning the heathland actually preserves habitat as it’s the new growth of the plants provides food and effective shelter for wildlife unlike the woody old stems.
We can learn a great deal from ancient civilisations (such as Aborigines) who have been doing controlled burning for centuries to manage the land and maintain a food source.
Uncontrolled heath fires - which are more likely to occur when land is not managed- are what do the damage

vegansrock Sat 26-Sep-20 10:58:43

Golden Eagles, hen harriers, foxes, stoats, weasels and other wildlife are killed by shooting and trapping so that the grouse have fewer predators so folk can enjoy a jolly day out blasting them out of the sky.

Oopsminty Sat 26-Sep-20 11:04:02

vegansrock

Golden Eagles, hen harriers, foxes, stoats, weasels and other wildlife are killed by shooting and trapping so that the grouse have fewer predators so folk can enjoy a jolly day out blasting them out of the sky.

And how many are killed by poachers?

animalogic.ca/blog/the-dark-and-depressing-world-of-british-poaching

Anniebach Sat 26-Sep-20 11:13:59

Halal slaughter ?

merlotgran Sat 26-Sep-20 11:17:33

It was probably a poacher who shot the golden eagle.

DaisyL Sat 26-Sep-20 11:29:41

It is illegal to shoot/kill golden eagles and hen harriers so no responsible landowner would allow it. Hen harrier numbers are actually going up gradually - at one time they had almost been wiped out.

leeds22 Sat 26-Sep-20 11:31:04

Lots of game shooting goes on round here but 'strangely' very few raptors. Instead of giving game keepers measly fines when they are caught out, perhaps their land owner employer should be sent to prison.
I do support Phoenix in relation to deer culling and is target shooting acceptable if kept to shooting ranges?

MrsRochester Sat 26-Sep-20 11:32:28

phoenix

Agree in pricipal, but have concerns about abolition of deer culling.

Deer have no natural predators, and can seriously hinder the development of woodlands, (and we all need trees) by eating young saplings.

Plus venison is a very healthy meat option.“

Agree. My mum is a vegetarian of 50 plus years but says she would much rather people ate free range meat from an animal that had lived out a full life in the wild.

Anniebach Sat 26-Sep-20 11:41:11

I don’t eat meat or eggs, but I want a ban on battery hens, halal meat,

biba70 Sat 26-Sep-20 11:45:25

Totally agree with your mum. However, the fact grouse moors are managed in a way that kills all wild predators, including all birds of prey- rather takes away from that.

As for pheasants, they are reared in awful conditions, in their 1000s- then released, weak and without a clue - to be shot. Not very 'natural' for sure.

Bazza Sat 26-Sep-20 11:45:58

Can anyone explain how the words pleasure and kill can be used in the same sentence?

MrsRochester Sat 26-Sep-20 11:52:20

biba70

Totally agree with your mum. However, the fact grouse moors are managed in a way that kills all wild predators, including all birds of prey- rather takes away from that“

Her experience is of Richmond Park, not too many grouse Moors in SW London ? Mum is friendly with the rangers there and has had many discussions over the years. The cull is very publicly posted so she keeps away during those weeks.

It’s necessary and well managed though, with the meat going to licensed local butchers.

Craftycat Sat 26-Sep-20 15:33:08

Of course we should ban all blood sports. I find them all deplorable. However it will not happen as there is big money involved.

vegansrock Sat 26-Sep-20 15:47:22

So all the traps set on grousemoors for predator animals are all put there by poachers? Why would poachers want to kill foxes, stoats, weasels, crows and the like which are not protected anyway. Nothing to do with “ managing” the moor?

SJV07 Sat 26-Sep-20 16:17:33

Field sports, Not Blood sports. By the way, you like hedgehogs?? Good badger food.

MissAdventure Sat 26-Sep-20 16:19:59

Badgers don't know any different, though.

MissAdventure Sat 26-Sep-20 16:20:51

PS. Blood sports. smile

margrano Sat 26-Sep-20 19:47:11

to Noddinggangan - Sheet lead would be used which is used in roofing and would be readily available on an estate , either new for repairing or scraps from a damaged roof . The reason the tiny tag would be wrapped is to stop the signal and then thrown in the river to take it away from the scene of the action - the tag was found in a river . Seems obvious to me and sadly only the last in a long series of other incidents of illegal persection .

MissAdventure Sat 26-Sep-20 19:54:34

youtu.be/262Cv9rbm8M

Syracute Sat 26-Sep-20 20:24:53

Absolutely, positively, not true ! The burns damage the environment in many ways .