Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

A new winter coat

(80 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Sep-22 07:00:59

How I feel and look in my puffa jacket ?

Blossoming Sun 25-Sep-22 11:40:48

I have a beautiful padded and hooded red coat from Seasalt. I love it. Mr. B says I look like Paddington Bear. I also love Paddington Bear smile

Daddima Sun 25-Sep-22 11:42:28

My mother told of how she was 16, and was delighted with her new brown fitted coat ( she called it n*#ger brown, as was allowed in those days). Then the old lady next door to her said to her mother, ‘ My, what a braw lassie. She’s just hingin’ in fat’.

She said the coat definitely lost some of its appeal.

Prentice Sun 25-Sep-22 11:47:20

Lululemon

I've got a green puffa jacket - loved it until my daughter said I looked like a turtle!

I can see that, and will notice all ladies in green puffas now!

daddima I do not understand what your neighbour said , just the word fat, will you explain please?

Elizachef69 Sun 25-Sep-22 11:48:56

I hear you !! Me too ?

JaneJudge Sun 25-Sep-22 11:53:00

MawtheMerrier

Gorgeous! Cuddly and warm.???

That’s no friend JJ - ignore!

ahh she did follow that up with, she just wanted to hug me smile

grin at looking like a mushroom, I'm SURE you didn't. The cape sounds lovely. I love capes and ponchos

icanhandthemback Sun 25-Sep-22 11:53:45

Whitewavemark2, what a brilliant picture! I think that penguin looks adorable...maybe that's how onlookers perceive you in your puffy jacket.
Having stood beside a hockey pitch for years wearing anything warm, waterproof and definitely unflattering to me, I have less of an interest in fashion. Plonk a hat on my head, try not to notice my bright red nose (think Concord) and ears, I can tell you it's not a pretty picture. Oh to look like that fluffy penguin!

Scottiebear Sun 25-Sep-22 11:55:18

Pretty cute then.

Saggi Sun 25-Sep-22 11:59:33

I had a red A-line jacket in late 70’s … I was pregnant and it suited me and covered the ‘bump’ ….. I couldn’t wear a red coat now …. at least I don’t think I could!?

Sawsage2 Sun 25-Sep-22 12:06:39

Having a laugh with this thread. Cheers me up. Must go now as family coming up and nothing dusted ?!

Wendy Sun 25-Sep-22 12:28:02

I have seen it from the other side. I have a very thick and warm plaid Joules jacket. I was wearing it when I bumped into a friend of my daughter’s wearing the same jacket but several sizes larger. I laughter and said snap. She later told my daughter she couldn’t wear it again since she knew her mother (me) was wearing the same jacket!

Cabbie21 Sun 25-Sep-22 12:29:38

I have never had a red coat, but loved the long red boots I had in my twenties.

Jess20 Sun 25-Sep-22 12:41:03

Beautiful!!

Razzamatazz Sun 25-Sep-22 12:45:40

Walking my dog three times a day in all weathers, I think I found the perfect coat, a North Face Arctic parka. I've had it for years and you've reminded me to air it, think I'll be wearing it soon!

Camelotclub Sun 25-Sep-22 12:45:45

I treated myself to a parka from Didriksons. It's not warm so much as waterproof and windproof and has a hood and comes to the knees. Don't need a puffa coat as have two already!
www.greatoutdoorssuperstore.co.uk/didriksons-ladies-ilma-5-parka-dark-night-blue-p64362

MeowWow Sun 25-Sep-22 13:11:04

I love red coats. Nice to wear a vivid colour to brighten up a winter’s day instead of drab dark colours.

hugaby Sun 25-Sep-22 13:13:45

The down filled coats are so amazing, light but warm, but on me I feel like (and look) the Michelin man!

Rosina Sun 25-Sep-22 13:50:04

Whitewavemark2 that is an excellent look - expect to see it on the catwalk.

Harris27 Sun 25-Sep-22 14:21:14

I always wear a red coat at Christmas it makes me feel all festive!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Sep-22 14:24:51

Rosina

Whitewavemark2 that is an excellent look - expect to see it on the catwalk.

?? waddle waddle

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Sep-22 14:53:32

HowVeryDareYou

I once bought a lovely red coat, and wore it with my black trousers. Someone told their child I looked like Santa Claus. I never wore it again.

I had a bright red short jacket and loved it. However, having caught sight of myself wearing it with black trousers, as I often did, it looked as though I just needed a drum or a baton to twirl and to learn how to march.

It went to the charity shop.

Lilyflower Sun 25-Sep-22 15:10:03

I have two red coats, a green coat, two black coats, a camel coat (all classic cut wool) , a navy blue pea jacket and a fancy Phase Eight weatherproof coat. I wear them all during cold weather.

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and I have caught myself looking online for - coats.

grannybuy Sun 25-Sep-22 16:12:23

Prentice, A braw lassie means a nice girl, maybe good looking, but hingin wi fat means that there is a fair bit of fat on her body. Scottish dialect.

Madashell Sun 25-Sep-22 16:14:32

“When I am an old woman I shall wear purple. With a red hat which doesn’t go, and which doesn’t suit me….” Jenny Joseph poem.

Being pear shaped I really struggle to find a coat that fits without buying the larger size and messing about altering it - I loathe looking for clothes. Liposuction not an option!

I had a very tall and elegant friend who wore a beautiful red winter jacket - she looked stunning (sigh).

Alioop Sun 25-Sep-22 16:39:52

I bought a lovely thick red anorak and a friend told me I was wearing Hayley's coat from Corrie! I've hardly worn the coat.
I bring out my huge khaki duvet coat for the walking the dog in the winter. It's fabulous.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 25-Sep-22 17:24:46

Whitewavemark2

How I feel and look in my puffa jacket ?

Well, if that is how it makes you look and feel, then may I just say, you look absolutely adorable and WARM.

What more could the heart desire of a new winter coat?

And you obviously could afford it too. So enjoy it!

And if anyone makes uncharitable remarks, put them down to envy. You will be dead right too!