Gransnet forums

Site stuff

A brilliant idea from Galen...

(203 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Apr-14 16:12:59

So as many of you will know, following on from the whole selfie phenomenon, Galen volunteered to do her own pose to raise money (and awareness) for research into cancer. (You can find the original thread HERE

That got us thinking, and in consultation with Galen we have come up with the idea of doing our very own Calendar Girls style calendar. To raise money (and we are happy for people to decide which charity). To raise awareness (ditto). And also to turn on its head the idea that older people (and one person we spoke to who is working to get "older" people online is targetting those above 45...) cannot be internet savvy and up to speed with the latest technology.

So - classic poses with any bits that need hiding (smile) hidden not with the obvious cakes and flowers but with smart phones, lap tops, tablets, e readers etc.

Galen has laid claim to the Rokeby Venus with a Mac Air instead of a mirror. Now all we need is 11 other gransnetters to volunteer too (groups welcome!)

There will be nothing on show that you don't want on show. Logistics are being logisticised (is that a word?!) so do pick a pose and join the fun...

Anne58 Wed 02-Apr-14 16:18:44

And also to turn on its head the idea that older people (and one person we spoke to who is working to get "older" people online is targetting those above 45...)

Anyone whose idea of "older" is those over 45 needs a jolly good talking to.

(I bet they are around 25)

dustyangel Wed 02-Apr-14 16:25:03

I'm not volunteering grin but I think it's a great idea!

Galen Wed 02-Apr-14 16:25:29

phoenixare you volunteering?smile

Galen Wed 02-Apr-14 16:26:24

Sorry, I made an errorblush
It's a Mac Pro, not Mac air.!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Apr-14 16:38:28

phoenix

And also to turn on its head the idea that older people (and one person we spoke to who is working to get "older" people online is targetting those above 45...)

Anyone whose idea of "older" is those over 45 needs a jolly good talking to.

(I bet they are around 25)

Well quite. That makes me a very old person indeed. Hey ho

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Apr-14 16:39:21

Galen big difference (if you drop it on your foot) I learned this the hard way (still limping 4 months later. Pro was fine btw)

Anne58 Wed 02-Apr-14 16:41:02

I very much doubt it Galen who would I get to take the photo? Mr P would have heart failure!

Love the idea of classic poses, I take it you mean from paintings?

There was an interesting radio programme the other day about the woman who slashed the Rokeby Venus.

Stansgran Wed 02-Apr-14 16:41:27

As long as Harry Potter lends me his cloak of invisibility I'll do it. Actually I think it's a bit old hat.

Anne58 Wed 02-Apr-14 16:45:36

There is of course another problem, I don't have a laptop, tablet or e reader, and I can't see a smart phone covering much!

Anne58 Wed 02-Apr-14 16:51:09

Although perhaps this could be adapted?

uk.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=ironsource&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003&type=ir_14_14_ch&p=photo+on+a+chair+christine+keeler

(Sorry, it won't let me blue it, the boxes aren't there!)

Anne58 Wed 02-Apr-14 16:51:25

Oooh, it did it all by itself!

Galen Wed 02-Apr-14 17:08:47

GNHQ are working on the logistics, photographers etc!
Any old piece of technology will do.
PC, desktop, kindle, iPad, for the less well endowed a iPod or similar? grin

Anne58 Wed 02-Apr-14 17:11:31

If you're talking about bosoms Galen I could probably get away with a couple of calculator batteries.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Apr-14 17:14:25

You want naked pics of us?!!! Euurgh! Never! hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Apr-14 17:16:00

Well. Not necessarily "eeurgh". But still never.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Apr-14 17:18:11

Anyway. I've only got two hands. You would need three wouldn't you? confused

Riverwalk Wed 02-Apr-14 17:19:47

I'm not sitting astride my laptop, a la Christine Keeler ..... would do myself an injury grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Apr-14 17:20:55

Unless you used sellotape I suppose.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Apr-14 17:22:00

I've only got a kindle fire. And a PC. How would that work?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Apr-14 17:22:50

You do one first Cari

Anne58 Wed 02-Apr-14 17:24:57

A thought! And not even based on a nude! Instead of "The Girl with the Pearl Earring" you could be turning to the camera with an expression that suggested winsome maturity, with a Blue Tooth Listening device in your lug hole! The head covering she is wearing in the painting could be achieved with the judicious use of the Gransnet teatowel. (from the competition which I did not win)

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Apr-14 17:25:13

Not naked - discreetly covered. And lots of famous poses don't require too many hands or too much hardware. As it were.

And if cats can do it... theskunkpot.com/index.php/cats-pose-as-famous-art-portraits/

Anne58 Wed 02-Apr-14 17:26:24

The Christine Keeler one could be done astride a chair and holding a smartphone I suppose? The only bits on show would be the shoulders, arms and legs. (Surgical stockings optional)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Apr-14 17:28:31

I'm not curling up in a fruitbowl, naked or not.