Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New site design being tested!

(585 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 04-Aug-17 12:19:06

We're VERY excited to announce that we are finally testing out a new site design! We've been working really hard to make sure it's easier to user and looks neater than the current format.

It is a test though and it may take a day or two to get used to. Apologies in advance for any teething problems - hopefully they'll be minimal. If you have any major problems logging in or you can't access certain things please post on this thread or email us at contactus. We'd love to have your thoughts. smile

AlieOxon Fri 04-Aug-17 15:04:37

Doesn't seem grey here? It's quite a lot clearer.

Edit button would be useful and works on other forums fine.

Like button - no. Could get competitive. People usually say if they like anyway!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 04-Aug-17 15:06:12

Thanks kitty. We'll have a think about what we can do. Quite a few of you have mentioned the 'greyness'. Do we need more pronounced differentiation between posters/threads? At the moment is the white/grey change not enough?

shysal Fri 04-Aug-17 15:10:24

I find the larger font a bit insulting, it implies that we are all have failing eyesight. We could adjust our own font size to suit.
My main complaint is that there isn't a granddad on the logo. I just spelt the word with one 'd' and it corrected itself. How can I get rid of that function?
Otherwise not too bad, so well done!

Ana Fri 04-Aug-17 15:22:20

'Obviously unfortunate connotations so no'

Copied from MN - seems very similar to me! What's insulting about the font? If you adjusted the size previously, the whole page went wonky.

kittylester Fri 04-Aug-17 15:25:39

I'd like more definition on the phone site.

Did I do anything previously to ensure that I got straight to active? I don't like having to find the threads each time.

phoenix Fri 04-Aug-17 15:25:41

I agree about the old fashioned font.

rosesarered Fri 04-Aug-17 15:26:54

Much the same as Mumsnet, didn't like it at first....now I prefer it! Much clearer and larger font, easier for me to read without adjusting the page, so well done GNHQ.
Would still like a quote button though.

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Aug-17 15:29:20

I didn't mind it the way it was before
Apart from not having an edit button - which I can understand because unless you edit in the first few minutes, then you could change a post so that the responses don't make sense.
That is - if anyone responds of course.

The font came up very large but I have adjusted it down and it seems better now.

yggdrasil Fri 04-Aug-17 15:32:59

It just switched for me, I wondered what had happened:-)
Are you adding Modify, and Quote buttons?

Jane10 Fri 04-Aug-17 15:34:39

No difference in font just grey instead of blue. Very dull looking and not inviting.

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Aug-17 15:36:49

I preferred the distinction between posts that there was on the old-style thread.

jollyg Fri 04-Aug-17 15:40:48

If you were to ask a hundred people the Q you recently proposed, then you might get a similar no of responses.

I LIKE the new font Regarding politics Of course I can negate them.

Most folk seem t want an EDIT button.

As I do not subscribe to FB

like is a stupid adition. Members here make it quite plain that their opinion is.

EDIT BUTTON PLEASE

M0nica Fri 04-Aug-17 15:44:31

I do not like it at all. Far too much white space, font size too large. Dislike the serrifed font used for headings, much prefer sans-serif type faces for headings. There is lack of definition between name and post and next name and post.

There is nothing to anchor the eye as you scroll down. Scrolling down on the 'I'm on' heading, I couldn't focus on anything as it was too diffuse and the extra space taken by every heading meant that it took much longer to get to the last of the still active posts. I gave up before I got there.

It took time to find the 'Last day heading' It seemed to be part of a strapline under the logo, so not an obvious place to look.

This layout seems to be designed for the GN member who browses GN in a leisurely manner while enjoying a quiet cup of coffee and might spend some time on it posting and and reading.

It is useless for any like me who nip in and out during the day zipping down headings for anything new. To be honest I loathe it. If I stay on GN it will be despite the new layout, not because of it.

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Aug-17 15:46:49

Well, I thought I would test-drive it before making further comment.

The ^^ don't work when trying to italicise something that is cut and pasted.
How do we do that now please?

Ana Fri 04-Aug-17 15:46:57

Lara's explained why we can't have an Edit button, not for the first time.....

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Aug-17 15:47:50

hello
hello
hello
hello

Testing, testing, one two three

Kateykrunch Fri 04-Aug-17 16:02:30

I agree with a previous poster, it is very old fashioned, it looks like a copy of Mumsnet layout and font. I like the bigger font, but it is too spread out with again as someone else mentioned too much empty space. I am wondering what was up with the previous set up, a case of 'not broken so didn't need fixing' but if its an upgrade "you have been robbed"

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 04-Aug-17 16:04:30

Ah, thanks Jalima. We'll get that fixed. Oh no, Monica. Sorry you're not finding it easy to read. We're going to have to take a look at the definition I think. I might not be a quick fix but it looks like it does need addressing.

devongirl Fri 04-Aug-17 16:05:40

TBH the font is too big for me! I would particlularly like to go back to having one's own posts highlighted, because it can be very difficult going back through previous pages to find a posted comment.

henetha Fri 04-Aug-17 16:07:54

Perhaps I will get used to it. I like the bigger font, being old and feeble.
It's all ok, but not exciting or pretty.

MawBroon Fri 04-Aug-17 16:08:27

Why change things- just for the sake of it?
The previous layout looked fine to me, but what do I know?
hmm

merlotgran Fri 04-Aug-17 16:10:56

We don't need an edit button if the preview facility is working which isn't always the case.

It sometimes freezes and then the only way to 'post' is to backspace to the previous page where you should be able to find your original post.

#ifyou'relucky

BTW. The italics thingy isn't working.

Jane10 Fri 04-Aug-17 16:11:52

Now the font has changed.
This is awful. Such depressing colours. Please go back to what it was if this is what you think is an improvement- it's not!

Ana Fri 04-Aug-17 16:16:32

I can't remember what it was like before now grin

Alima Fri 04-Aug-17 16:16:51

I know the font is larger, I don't have to hit the "T" button to be able to read it. Several posters have mentioned that the font is now too big. It isn't for me! Bit concerned that I won't be able to read it at all when my eyes are tired. Is that the font, the colours or my eyes? Better go to Spec Savers.