Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Your favourite brands

(110 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 20-Feb-18 17:57:09

We are constantly looking at the way we work with brands and thought it might be useful to ask which ones you like best, why, and what you would tell them they were doing right/wrong if you had the chance. We would also love to know about any products you particularly like from your favourite brands too

sarahellenwhitney Wed 21-Feb-18 15:09:58

sue421 have you watched the Anchor spreadable advert?
Hilarious

Sheilasue Wed 21-Feb-18 15:22:52

Wilko is very good for cleaning brands, kitchen rolls etc.lot cheaper then the big super markets.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Feb-18 15:54:34

Isn’t that funny. missfoodlove I detest TKMax its my most unfavourite shop and I think I ve only ever bought one item from it I never see anything worth a second look Good job we re not all the same at least I leave all the ‘bargins’ for you
I can’t think of any brand or high street shop I m particularly loyal to .Food shop mostly at Lldl and I m happy with them I don’t taste any difference between the ‘makes’ and the ‘fakes’ so I m cheap to keep Mind you when you watch the price cut programmes half the people who proclaim they would only ever use Heinz or Kellogg’s etc etc don’t usually know the difference when the label is covered up ?
Favourite shop good quality charity shop or book shop ( we only have one Waterstones in my town so not much to choose from)

Moocow Wed 21-Feb-18 16:10:27

Ahh yes! Green and Blacks chocolate only other option is Butlers chocolate.

123kitty Wed 21-Feb-18 16:14:15

Tesco finest greek yoghurt.
Nivea tinted moisturiser- doesn't sit in wrinkles and show them up.
The lovely ladies behind boots makeup counters- thank you

TerriBull Wed 21-Feb-18 16:21:42

I have a few food brands I'm wedded to, I really love Ykos yogurts, particularly raspberry, other than that Dolce Gusto Cortado coffee pods, Jackson's wholemeal bread and I suppose I'd always go for Heinz beanz rather than anyone else's, ditto Kellogs for cornflakes. Husband likes his marmalade to be Frank Cooper's. I shop around as far as supermarkets are concerned, my regular ones are Waitrose and Sainsburys but also use Marks, Aldi and Lidl. Favourite high street stores, Waterstones, (I hate WH Smith avoid it like the plague) Clothes, well East is unfortunately in it's final death throes, shame! I did like their stuff, Sea Salt and Joules, are going to mop up for me I guess. I still go to Gap and Marks. I like The White Company too, particularly for diffusers. My favourite of the restaurant chains is Cote and to ascend into retail heaven, there is only one place and that is of course John Lewis.

TerriBull Wed 21-Feb-18 16:26:37

Forgot to metion Van Dal for shoes, I've been ordering their stuff on line whenever they have sales and have been quite happy with what I've bought.

quizqueen Wed 21-Feb-18 16:27:28

I hate Lidl and Aldi; they make me feel like I'm on holiday in some back street supermarket in Europe and I can't find a brand I recognise!! I prefer to support British stores. Use it or lose it, folks, but don't complain afterwards.

muddynails Wed 21-Feb-18 16:32:37

Food at out local pub in Buckland Brewer, never fails to please. Good atmosphere too.

grandMattie Wed 21-Feb-18 16:33:55

There must be something wrong with me.
I don't really have favourite brands - apart from the soap pwder. Asda non-bio. I am very sensitive to all sorts and have endless rasheds if anything is perfumed, etc. it is the only soap powder that I can use.
I will shop wherever DH takes me, at the moment it is Sainsbury's - so I get my clothes as well as food there.
I have a soft spot for IKEA although we don't have one near us, and all I do is childishly drool over the catalogues...

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 21-Feb-18 16:43:12

I like John Lewis and M&S underwear. I love Lurpak and find that Tesco own brand Butterpak is fairly close and quite a bit cheaper.
For puss I'd say that Sanicat cat-litter is superior, sorry to lower the tone.
Pandora jewellery is also lovely.

dogsmother Wed 21-Feb-18 16:45:04

Yorkshire teabags
Iceland quinoa and bean mix
Moshulu (found these shoes last year]
Clarks (old favorites)
Clothes can all sorts.
Most other brands can be interchangeable for me , a decent coffee or chocolate. A variety o& perfumes and make up brands.

keffie Wed 21-Feb-18 17:12:40

1/ Lakeland for kitchenware.
2/ Jane Iredale, Charlotte Tilbury, Estee Lauder and Mii makeup
3/ Dermalogica and Elemis skin care
4/ Dermalogica primer
5/ Opium original and Opium black perfume
6/ Clothing: Joe Brown's, TK Max, Lindy Bop, Dotty & Dolly, Vivienne Westwood
7/ Shoes and accessories: Pavers, Office, Accessorize. Cath Kitsons for bags and Claires
8/ I also buy fairy, persil and comfort in catering size packs on eBay as it works out alot cheaper to buy in bulk. I also buy tea and coffee in the same way

keffie Wed 21-Feb-18 17:20:35

9/ Oh and I nearly forgot Morrisons also especialy for online shopping.
as they are the best.

There products are not taken off the shop floor. They have warehouses around the country. You know when you go online whether you will get the item or not as it says if it is in or out of stock online.

They also do from a pound delivery and do pre paid deliver passes for 6 months or a year which you can use as much as you want

1974cookie Wed 21-Feb-18 17:37:36

I absolutely love Lakelands too. They have the most amazing shop in Ipswich, Suffolk. It is set in an Ancient house, where the rooms are still intact and the original fireplaces and the old wooden staircases are still in situ.
It is a complete joy to wander around.

M0nica Wed 21-Feb-18 17:46:00

Marmite.

About the only branded good I possess.

NotTooOld Wed 21-Feb-18 18:57:23

I don't really have brand favourites but some I don't like are

Lakeland (expensive, better off in Wilko)
Waitrose (checkouts are slow because the staff talk too much)
John Lewis (smug staff and customers)
TKMaxx (jumble sale)
WHSmith (dim lighting, hard to find what you want, won't give a bag even if you buy 6 paperbacks. I know it's the law but it makes me very cross.)

Actually, those are shops rather than brands, I suppose, but I feel better for the rant.

I do like Marmite! grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 21-Feb-18 22:30:34

I have a soft spot for Clarks, Boden, Jo Malone, Max Factor mascara, M & S meal deals and those TK Maxx Italian soaps. I used to have a GAP habit, until our local store closed. sad

morethan2 Wed 21-Feb-18 22:52:55

Like most of you I have my favourites but the one brand I would miss more than any other is apple ?. I really love my iPad

Joelise Wed 21-Feb-18 23:12:14

Lakeland
Seasalt
John Lewis
Varca shoes and espadrilles
Skyr yoghourt
Lindt chocolate
Royce bras
Apple iPad and iPod
Good Housekeeping magazine
Phase Eight
Issy Myake perfume
Stella and Dot necklaces

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Feb-18 23:19:47

Dorset Tea
TK Maxx grin for soaps and handbags (our branch is quite organised)
Clarins moisturiser
Clinique stubby blusher

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Feb-18 23:20:14

and L'Occitane handcream

Magicmaggie Wed 21-Feb-18 23:39:43

Another fan of L’Occitane handcream
Bare Minerals Make-up
Aldi Lacura Caviar Face and Hand cream
Also their Moser dark chocolate with sea salt and white chocolate Madagascan bars
Clark’s Shoes
Wilko’s certainly more then replaces WoolworthsIMHP.

Ailsa43 Thu 22-Feb-18 01:34:28

Lakeland is overpriced for just about everything, you can buy just about everything they sell online for much less.

TK Maxx just an oversized jumble sale. IMO..

Favourites.

Aldi for everything except fruit and veg which seems to go off very quickly.

Sketchers Go walk trainers

M&S food .. but only occasionally now because it's very expensive.

Miele Cat & Dog Vacuum cleaner

Amazon for ease of use and vast choices

Tool Station for ease of use , choice and fast deliveries.

Apple Mac

Savers for being cheaper than Boots.

Pearces farm shops for excellent meat and breads and superb cafes

O'Keefes Hand Cream, Magic in a tube

suzied Thu 22-Feb-18 04:25:00

Uniqlo for jeans, tea shirts and casual clothes
Alpro for non dairy yoghurt and plant milks
Felix for the only cat food my cat will eat( she turns her nose up at the really expensive organic stuff)