Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Lengthy 'cut and paste' - acceptable or not?

(141 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

jura2 Fri 17-Aug-18 12:36:17

It would be helpful for GN to make a decision on copy/cut/paste. GN should make a clear decision about whether they are allowed, and put a maximum length.

Personally I think it is much better to post a link- with perhaps the most saillant point/s 'cut and pasted' up to a maximum word length. The recent pages and pages are totally unacceptable imho, from either side or anywhere in between. Thank you.

janeainsworth Fri 17-Aug-18 12:42:22

I agree jura
I’m very happy to read other people’s opinions and sincerely held beliefs, but when long screeds are copied and pasted, it does feel as though we are being force-fed political propaganda.

janeainsworth Fri 17-Aug-18 12:43:27

Especially when the person doing the copying & pasting gives no indication of their own thoughts about the subject in hand.

mcem Fri 17-Aug-18 12:50:06

Links yes. Long cut n paste posts no!

Scribbles Fri 17-Aug-18 12:52:55

I tend not to read great screeds of cut & pasted text. It feels like homework whereas a link and a comment from the OP that this is praiseworthy/deplorable/cruel and what do others think? will probably spark my interest and i'll follow it up.

Jane10 Fri 17-Aug-18 12:59:49

Yup. If there's a long cut and paste I tend to just move on.

Welshwife Fri 17-Aug-18 13:06:27

I never read long cut and paste either - just find it a nuisance scrolling past them. Like Scribbles I often open links and read them.

mostlyharmless Fri 17-Aug-18 13:14:24

Some people don’t choose to read links or can’t access them.
So I think it’s a good idea to summarise your point in a paragraph or two, then provide a link if appropriate, so people can choose to read further if they are interested.

Long cut’n’pastes makes the discussion very tedious.

winterwhite Fri 17-Aug-18 13:21:36

Another who dislikes this trend. Gives the impression of trying to blank out everyone else.
And I would prefer brief information on the source quoted in words not just an url.
Thank you for initiating this Jura.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 17-Aug-18 13:46:29

Hello, you'll see we've deleted the 'long cut and paste jobs' so please report any if you see them. On the whole if you do refer to another article or website please put the extract in quotes and attribute where you are getting it from. But most importantly, as many of you have said, this is a conversation so if you're going to refer to another source, it's better to make it part of the conversation and put it into context.

Fennel Fri 17-Aug-18 13:52:26

Winterwhite - "Gives the impression of trying to blank out everyone else."
I agree. It has been annoying me, and others, for ages. Glad GNHQ have done something about it.
And thanks Jura for starting the thread.

M0nica Fri 17-Aug-18 13:55:11

I too do not read long cut and pastes. Give a link and a brief summary of the salient points.

I find it equally irritating when there are links, sometimes several and no indication of what they are about.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Aug-18 13:55:53

I just lose interest in long and wordy cut and paste posts and skim over them; I feel like I'm being word bombed. Far better to summarise the main points and post a link so that people can read further if they wish.

merlotgran Fri 17-Aug-18 13:55:54

I'm another one who just scrolls past them. Life's too short to read a load of lengthy waffle. Links are far better - I tend to ignore them as well. grin

jura2 Fri 17-Aug-18 14:11:00

Thank you Lara @ GN, for clarification.

janeainsworth Fri 17-Aug-18 14:42:37

Thanks from me too Lara.

Riverwalk Fri 17-Aug-18 15:20:22

Lara I'm just wondering what's wrong with long cut & pastes? And how are they against the rules.

Posters aren't doing themselves any favours with long cut & pastes, as most of us just glaze over and ignore, especially if the OP doesn't provide at least a precis, but what rule are they breaking?

It's rather like those who post a pageful with no paragraphs - could be very interesting but the style and presentation means I just ignore. But not against the rules, I assume?

MawBroon Fri 17-Aug-18 15:28:46

Are we getting bogged down with pettifogging rules?
Whether you choose to post links or the entire text you wish to quote seems irrelevant to me. There is always the choice not to read or not to click the link.
I would however welcome some universally recognised way of indicating quoted material. Up to now I thought we did this Which was fine, but some members choose not to do it , so perhaps a different colour would be even better.
Whichever, I would hope that members who like to quote in full have not been picked on in any way because their views did not happen to tally with those of the complainant.
Rather like a thread (or two) a while back on usernames it does seem as if the complaint while appearing disingenuous is somewhat targeted .
Can’t we just live and let live and put the onus on reading in full or not, on to the reader?

crystaltipps Fri 17-Aug-18 15:32:45

Yes it stifles debate to have overlong repetitive cut n pastes.

jura2 Fri 17-Aug-18 15:46:32

MB, my foreign keyboard does not have square brackets, so I cannot use them to indicate quote/unquote. So I will use '......'
and indicate that I am quoting. Simple enough.

jura2 Fri 17-Aug-18 15:53:31

MB, on the point of changing names, the rules are VERY clear on GN:

Quote: 'Username-changing

We discourage members from changing their usernames because we want everyone to be able to trust the relationships they build with others on Gransnet. However, you will be able to change your username once for sensitive threads. Alternatively, contact us directly at [email protected] if you think your current username is too identifying.' unquote.

Thefore posts mentioning this were indeed targeted at those who we know have changed names again, and again, and ... again. They know who they are. And yes, as GN says, it leads to trust issues and at times it takes a long time to work out who is who, and was who before, and before that again.

Which is why, although personal attacks by some would have made it more comfortable to change identity- I have made sure any change would NOT try and hide my identity at all. granjura, juragran and juragran 2. Now I would not have mentioned this again, but since you did...

janeainsworth Fri 17-Aug-18 16:58:37

Riverwalk and maw

I may be completely wrong here, but I don’t think the occasional cut’n’paste from a regular poster, would be objected to.
If there’s a paywall on a newspaper, for example, then many GNers wouldn’t be able to access the relevant parts.

That’s a very different scenario from someone suddenly appearing out of the ether and in the space of a couple of days, starting several new threads consisting of entirely cut’n’paste, or barge into existing breads and doing the same thing.

Something might not be explicitly against forum rules, but still be not in the spirit of the forum, which IMHO should feel like a conversation rather than a lecture.

janeainsworth Fri 17-Aug-18 16:59:22

Existing threads!!
Blinking phone!!!

Jane10 Fri 17-Aug-18 17:06:29

MawBroon 'pettifogging'. Excellent word! I've not seen it for years!

Jalima1108 Fri 17-Aug-18 17:49:11

I would however welcome some universally recognised way of indicating quoted material. Up to now I thought we did this

jura I think that, if you want to quote another poster's words or a quote from somewhere else, you use these ^^ either side without a gap, not the square brackets.

I still have to use two square brackets each side [[ ]] for links, but I don't think everyone has to do that.