Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Changes to GN

(87 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Jan-19 12:00:38

We are going to be improving the way you see ads on the site so there will be a few changes while we test what works best. The changes won't be visible to everyone at this stage so don't worry if you don't see any difference. For those of you who do notice the new version, it would be really helpful to us if you could let us know if the changes make it difficult for you to use Gransnet at all? If there are any issues (fingers crossed there won't be!) if you could take and send us a screenshot, that would be great. Hopefully it all run very smoothly but we did want to give you a heads up. smile

Cherrytree59 Tue 22-Jan-19 16:37:13

A don't like button would be very useful at the moment ?

GabriellaG54 Tue 22-Jan-19 16:55:16

grin??

Grammaretto Tue 22-Jan-19 17:12:36

I'm also getting adverts at the bottom quarter of my phone screen blocking my buttons.
Also I'd like:
A like and dislike button would be good.
A private subgroup for personal dilemmas and a search engine which worked.
And please remove this annoying banner.
Thanks GNHQ

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Jan-19 17:17:55

Hello! The search facility is working. So that's one thing off the list. Thanks for all your comments so far. Last thing we want is an ad that prevents you from posting. Will make sure that's sorted asap, thanks all.

BlueBelle Tue 22-Jan-19 17:19:51

I haven’t got any pop up or moving adverts on my iPad
I have one small one at the top and one small square at the side why aren’t I seeing all the problems you guys are ? Not that I want to

EllanVannin Tue 22-Jan-19 18:51:45

I feel for Mick and his Win10 problems. There are that many adverts on the move now that it's interfering with the content of each screen that I open.

This afternoon I lost all my passwords on each individual window that I had open including GN to which I had to put in a new password. My ebay account too, put my password in and it immediately vanished again. It's a Microsoft problem and I can't do anything except renew passwords all the time to get in. It's driving me barmy !

nonnasusie Tue 22-Jan-19 19:03:47

Active etc.comes up for a nano second then disappears so I can't go onto another thread quickly!!

nonnasusie Tue 22-Jan-19 19:12:59

Just realized that if I wait it eventually appears!! Not impressed!

mcem Tue 22-Jan-19 19:22:59

Experience shows that GNHQ decide to make changes and there's nothing we can say or do to change their minds. On the other hand, any requests coming from members are ignored e.g. the much-needed 'like' button. After much consultation on the change of font etc, all requests and complaints were ignored!
Since these ads will inevitably remain, it would be good to know that some of the profits might be spent on improving the the site in line with many of our concerns.

Jessity Tue 22-Jan-19 19:30:18

mcem I wouldn’t hold your breath!

mcem Tue 22-Jan-19 19:55:10

You're right, Jessity.
Not happy with this. (Screenshot)

EllanVannin Tue 22-Jan-19 20:26:21

All the bloomin' adverts are running the battery down.
At least mine are at the side and not running down the centre.

BlueBelle Tue 22-Jan-19 22:18:19

How come I don’t get any are you all using iPadsor laptops ?

Nannylovesshopping Tue 22-Jan-19 22:21:21

I haven’t any thankfully, always use iPad

mcem Tue 22-Jan-19 22:22:25

Trouble is on my phone. Less bother with mobile site on kindle fire.

NotSpaghetti Tue 22-Jan-19 22:23:13

GabriellaG54 I’ve had the leaping about thing too. Gave up in the end.

Marydoll Tue 22-Jan-19 22:48:43

Search facility is indeed working ? Thanks!

cornergran Tue 22-Jan-19 22:53:56

Advert in a square box at the top of the page comes and goes and the whole page jumps. This is using an iPad. iMac was ok earlier.

Marydoll Tue 22-Jan-19 22:55:11

Tablet: irritating adverts in centre. Very off-putting.?

megan123 Tue 22-Jan-19 23:11:38

I have an Addblocker on, so don't know whether that helps. I haven't any adverts, but the number on top of the Addblocker says "9"!

Florabunda60 Tue 22-Jan-19 23:36:35

POGS
I fully agree site users should come first not advertisers. Besides Gransnet surely is run by staff not volunteers. It is THEIR responsibility to make sure site is easy for Gransnetters to use before launching any alterations. I am fed up of everywhere I go these days being expected to do the work of people who are employed and paid to what is THEIR work.

Florabunda60 Tue 22-Jan-19 23:39:48

In future sort before launching.

Purpledaffodil Wed 23-Jan-19 06:39:10

And another thing re adverts. A couple of days ago I kept getting ones allegedly by Martin Lewis indorsing a financial scheme. As he has very publicly said he doesn’t endorse things like that, these ads are at best misleading and at worst a scam. I do hope GN isn’t making money out of such things!
And I cannot stand the moving adverts either! ?

Gonegirl Wed 23-Jan-19 13:09:21

Has anyone else had the ad from Cadbury's offering free chocolate? Loads of questions but I've completed them. Says I'm eligible for two boxes. ???

jenpax Wed 23-Jan-19 13:44:24

GNHQ seem to ignore many responses eg no reply to the like/not like button idea and also why oh why is there not an edit feature (as there is on FB) for a comment that has been posted?? I try to check for glaring spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors but on my iPhone inevitably some escape the net!