Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Changes to GN

(87 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Jan-19 12:00:38

We are going to be improving the way you see ads on the site so there will be a few changes while we test what works best. The changes won't be visible to everyone at this stage so don't worry if you don't see any difference. For those of you who do notice the new version, it would be really helpful to us if you could let us know if the changes make it difficult for you to use Gransnet at all? If there are any issues (fingers crossed there won't be!) if you could take and send us a screenshot, that would be great. Hopefully it all run very smoothly but we did want to give you a heads up. smile

MissAdventure Wed 23-Jan-19 13:45:43

My ads are VERY personal.
I have used caravans coming up on Gumtree (been browsing there for jobs/babysitters)
Roman blinds (just bought one) and mattresses (just bought one of those, too).
It feels like I only have to think of something and up pops an ad.

Day6 Wed 23-Jan-19 14:37:52

Using my tablet this morning I have flickering advertisements at the top and bottom of my smallish screen. It's extremely distracting and annoying. I have no intention of opening them nor does it register who they are from. All they do are annoy me, so I spend less time on GN, which may well be a good thing. Why annoy those who use the site?

Day6 Wed 23-Jan-19 14:38:57

*is

CassieJ Wed 23-Jan-19 14:42:38

I use Ad blocker, have done for a long time. I hate to constantly having ads popping up. Ad blocker works really well. Just Google it, it is free

BlueBelle Wed 23-Jan-19 14:57:51

I don’t use any blocking app but my iPad seems totally free of these nuicences I m really curious why ? Perhaps someone technical can tell me
I wouldn’t like it if they were popping all over my screen but there’s nothing at all

jacq10 Wed 23-Jan-19 15:55:24

I have never seen an advert on this site! Is it because family member set up an "Ad-blocker" on my Chromebook?

Jalima1108 Wed 23-Jan-19 16:33:12

I now have a Ukraine ladies dating site in the middle of my page.
It's a bit more interesting than the plain green square which I keep getting Cherrytree!

Sometimes the ads appear, sometimes not, but no Ukrainian ladies as yet

Jalima1108 Wed 23-Jan-19 16:35:52

A couple of days ago I kept getting ones allegedly by Martin Lewis indorsing a financial scheme.
Purpledaffodil I saw Martin Lewis on the lunch-time news - he's very angry with FB etc for showing 'scam' adverts using his name and face. Apparently people have been taken in thinking they were genuine and have lost a lot of money thinking he endorsed these schemes.

He said that he never advertises.

How sure can you be, GNHQ, that this type of thing will not happen?

Cherrytree59 Wed 23-Jan-19 18:30:59

There is a thread on GN regarding debt, if the spam Martin Lewis ad flashes up and a Gransnet inadvertently clicks on it, thinking it must be ok as its on GN, at the very least they could be attacked by a virus or much worse if the unsuspecting Gners enters financial details.

Gransnet.com should perhaps being taking a more responsible attude to protect Gransnetters from spam advertising

Jalima1108 Wed 23-Jan-19 18:49:44

I just clicked on that thread Cherrytree and an ad came up offering a loan for just 59.9% APR!

Gonegirl Wed 23-Jan-19 19:16:38

That's awful. Surely they can vet the ads better than that.

Gonegirl Wed 23-Jan-19 19:17:13

That is advertising misery. ?

Cherrytree59 Wed 23-Jan-19 19:24:37

You were brave Jalima
59.9% apr!
Yes agree Gonegirl awful.

GNHQ please take note and respond to our concerns.

Tangerine Wed 23-Jan-19 21:50:16

The ads are a nuisance. They are a distraction.

Gymstagran Thu 24-Jan-19 06:04:32

Thank you for the option to delete ad by clicking the "x". Works on those in the middle of pages

Alima Thu 24-Jan-19 09:09:16

Cannot see any changes as yet. However, reading your comments it looks like whatever “they” are doing isn’t for our benefit. Lara’s OP: “improve the way you see ads on site” and the very ominous “let us know if the changes make it difficult to use GNet at all”. Speaks volumes. Let’s be thankful for what we have as it may get much, much worse.

Cherrytree59 Thu 24-Jan-19 10:07:54

Gonegirl re Free Cadbury chocolates, just had a look.
It is a marketing ploy to get your details and info on energy provider, mobile phone and broadband provider etc
The company is in
Kuala Lumpur

shysal Thu 24-Jan-19 17:53:41

I use free Ad blocker on my laptop and it seems to cover my tablet too. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't do the same.

Gonegirl Thu 24-Jan-19 21:33:24

Cherrytree I am a total idiot. I will now expect loads of marketing junk. ☹️

Gonegirl Thu 24-Jan-19 21:34:04

I've got Adblock on my desktop but not on iPad.

aggie Fri 25-Jan-19 09:02:03

Ads are at the side on my laptop , which is ok , but on Kindle Fire they are in the thread , making me think the thread is over so miss reading some posts . VERY ANNOYING

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 25-Jan-19 10:32:04

Thanks again for your patience. The team who are working on this have made some adjustments so it should be improving. Your feedback has been very useful though so thank you for that. smile With regards to the Martin Lewis ad, if there are any ads that you think might be suspicious please can you send us a screenshot or the site that it sends you to so that we can take action.

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Jan-19 10:36:43

I still have ads on the side which is surprising as I thought I'd downloaded an adblocker yesterday.
There is also a large green box above the list of threads, with nothing in it!

phoenix Fri 25-Jan-19 16:22:19

STOP IT NOW!

Ads in the middle of the "active" page, ads in the middle of threads, it's disruptive, intrusive and bloody annoying.angry

Charleygirl5 Fri 25-Jan-19 21:52:39

I have enough problems with my eyesight, being partially sighted, that I cannot cope with flickering, moving ads. I did use an ad blocker and it worked temporarily but a higher authority appears to have removed it. I must try again.