Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Has Gransnet changed for the worse?

(138 Posts)
mcem Sat 09-Mar-19 09:03:44

I know I'm not alone in thinking that, on thread after thread, the ethos of GN has changed significantly.

Brexit, immigration, benefits are just some of the topics that attract nasty, xenophobic, cruel posts from newer right-wing posters.

These days I tend to leave a GN browsing session feeling thoroughly disheartened that these posters are probably also grandparents who may have real influence over innocent or gullible minds.

lemongrove Sat 09-Mar-19 11:23:56

Thank you Framilode smile

Kalu Sat 09-Mar-19 11:37:58

Charleygirl I’m surprised you were not given 100 lines ?

The mind boggles as to what type of person would do this?

bikergran Sat 09-Mar-19 11:41:04

I think iff sumeone tuck the bother to PM me wiv a spelin misteak

(A) they must lead a sad life
(B) their name would go in my binn (lol just testing) grin

bikergran Sat 09-Mar-19 11:41:35

awaiting lots of PM now grin

crystaltipps Sat 09-Mar-19 11:45:22

Certain leavers have blighted some threads with inane repetitive soundbites - it’s not all one sided.

Urmstongran Sat 09-Mar-19 11:55:39

In one Anniebach sad but true.
Maybe things will calm down after this month.

EllanVannin Sat 09-Mar-19 11:57:15

Touche, MCEM

Anniebach Sat 09-Mar-19 11:58:34

Not long after I joined I received a really nasty PM, seems I was responsible for a poster having to move abroad because I voted for Blair ?

Urmstongran Sat 09-Mar-19 12:11:01

Funnily enough the GOOD NEWS thread about Brexit which I started was to share any positive news.
Surely a good idea?
It soon got hijacked.

grannyactivist Sat 09-Mar-19 12:12:17

I think Gransnet is simply reflecting real life communities. However, in real life we don't often engage with people whose views are terribly different from our own (unless they're family/friends) - nor do we have to on here. For at least the last thirty years I've made it a point to read and engage with views that are different from my own and therefore are often challenging. I think it's a good thing that, due in a large measure to the anonymity afforded, GN posters are free to express our views and beliefs, but I find it disquieting when posters resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 09-Mar-19 12:21:06

I haven't been on Gransnet long enough to be able to judge properly. I think that there have always been people who like to start a fight and anonymity can sometimes encourage them to be unnecessarily nasty.
My dad's hobby was disagreeing with people and he would have had a field day if he'd had a computer.

EllanVannin Sat 09-Mar-19 12:23:37

It's when folk try and force their views onto you and when it doesn't work, out comes the xenophobia card along with all the other " cards " that I don't cope with. There's no need for it.

We're all different with different views and most of us wouldn't dream of foisting our own personal views onto someone else. Certain threads are for discussing and that's exactly what they're meant for when it's a news topic.

1inamillion Sat 09-Mar-19 12:44:38

I've been a member of GN for a couple of years and read a wide variety of threads. I've only posted during the last six months or so and this on a limited amount of threads. I enjoy reading other people's opinions including those who differ from mine and am amazed at the knowledge of many GN's. I have learned such a lot.
I have noticed an increase in nasty, personal comments though mcem. It is so sad and totally unnecessary.
Urmstongran, your thread was indeed hijacked sadly.

paddyann Sat 09-Mar-19 13:00:18

After I posted about Scottish Independence I had a vile private msg from a woman who told me "you whining scots need to be grateful for us English giving you our money ,you'd all be living in the gutter without us" .I didn't reply to her I thought ignoring her was all she deserved.I did however decide to exit from the site and said so on the thread.I had at least a dozen messages from other grans saying dont let anyone chase you away as sometimes you say what we are thinking and we love to read your comments.So I'm still here .There are one or two posters I avoid at all costs though .

Sussexborn Sat 09-Mar-19 13:01:49

I was disappointed, though not too surprised, when Urmstongran’s thread was hijacked! Some of the posts border on trolling and it is sad that people are so desperate for attention that they are oblivious to anyone’s feelings but their own.

I guess they are the sort of people who used to write poison pen letters but they now have a wider audience to try and bully. Certain posters are so predictable that I don’t bother to read their diatribes as they are tedious and boring.

It did make me laugh when someone said they had received a PM correcting their spelling though, on reflection, it could have had a serious impact on an insecure person who wasn’t lucky with their education.

Charleygirl5 Sat 09-Mar-19 13:05:39

paddyann I wonder if that woman would have had the guts to say that to your face? I find that abhorrent.

I am a whining Scot living in London but thankfully not in the gutter. I agree, ignoring that is the best thing to do.

Jane10 Sat 09-Mar-19 13:06:06

Paddyann, obviously we disagree on Scottish Independence but I'd always defend your right to say what you think and not be driven off the site.

Charleygirl5 Sat 09-Mar-19 13:20:13

Sussexborn to be honest, I was livid because it was a slip of my finger. I had a superb Scottish education at a Catholic boarding school. The nuns would be horrified to know I had made one small mistake. I was an A grade pupil being around in the days of the 11+ which meant I automatically took the Latin, physics and chemistry route.

Admittedly I was promised a shiny brand new Raleigh bike if I achieved an A grade, That was why I went the extra mile!

Jane10 I totally agree with you.

I hope there were no spelling or grammatical errors!

Urmstongran Sat 09-Mar-19 13:49:59

Thank you for noticing that 1inamillion it is much appreciated.
?

Urmstongran Sat 09-Mar-19 13:51:38

I’m happy to recall I agreed with your views about Indy2 paddyann and that you thanked me at the time.
?

Urmstongran Sat 09-Mar-19 13:53:06

And thanks to you too Sussexgran it means a lot for my opinion to be validated.
?

Urmstongran Sat 09-Mar-19 13:53:37

Oops born !

EllanVannin Sat 09-Mar-19 14:02:39

It seems ironic to think that most of my terse replies/posts are written by the very person who introduced this thread !!

Cherrytree59 Sat 09-Mar-19 14:05:20

I have been on GN since 2015.
I had only been on GN for a short while when I ventured on to a political thread like a mouse wandering to a lions den and was duly stamped upon.
I would probably have thought at that moment that GN wasn't for me.
However a GNer (on this thread) 'stood up for me' and told the couple of posters that they were rude and out of order.
The posters in question have since left GN.

As in life we all come from different back grounds with political and religious (or non religious) beliefs.
Where GN is different is that in RL I have no idea what many friends and neighbour's religious or political stance are, as we have chosen not to divulge or enquire.

Sometimes I feel that some political posters become almost evangelical and rather just put their point across they are on a mission to change peoples minds whilst stamping their feet and banging the table.grin

I have learned a great deal from many threads on GN both serious and light hearted.

No I don't think Gransnet has changed for the worse.
Like all things in life GN is evolving
Posters come and go.
Politics and issues move on,
life does not stand still.

EllanVannin Sat 09-Mar-19 14:06:48

Such as my delight at finding a valuable item ( charity thread ) online, then she'd asked if the proceeds went to charity. That was plain uncalled for especially when there were others who'd had twice the amount in bargains but weren't approached.
Why single me out ?