Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Should repetitive inane posters be removed?

(141 Posts)
crystaltipps Sun 10-Mar-19 17:46:34

If a post, which may be posted by someone who may or may not fit the description of a troll, who repeatedly posts identical repetitive posts , which add nothing to the discussion in hand, be removed ? Just putting that out there for discussion.

EllanVannin Sun 10-Mar-19 17:49:41

I haven't noticed any of what you describe ?

Bridgeit Sun 10-Mar-19 17:52:46

Who would decide what is inane ?
Would we need to prove sufficient level of IQ etc etc

Cherrytree59 Sun 10-Mar-19 17:57:05

If the poster is posting within the GN guidelines, I would say No they cannot be removed.

Jomarie Sun 10-Mar-19 17:57:57

Not really sure who/what you are getting at crystaltipps - can you give some examples? Otherwise, if I've understood it rightly, then usually other posters sort of override those posts by reverting to the original discussion quite neatly and as a matter of course. Most posters think about what to put down before pressing "post message" - unless really agitated!

BlueBelle Sun 10-Mar-19 18:04:01

I was wondering what I had missed but obviously others had missed it too

crystaltipps Sun 10-Mar-19 18:04:52

I can’t give examples as we aren’t supposed to call anyone trolls, but a particular example I refer to is rather prolific on the Brexit threads. There must be at least 40/ 50 of these accompanied with emoticons. I think trolling is against guidelines but I don’t know if making repetitive inane comments is? Perhaps I can be enlightened. By inane I mean making comments which add nothing to the discussion ( and are repetitive).

GrannyGravy13 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:13:27

crystaltipps, I know who you mean, in my understanding of GN guidelines I do not think they are breaking any of them.

Just because you disagree with or find a poster annoying I do not think they can be removed, this is a public forum.

Isn't it easier just to ignore their posts?

andycameron69 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:23:21

I adore being here and this supportive great forum.

A fabulous place to belong.

Thank you all

flowers

Long live gransnet

notentirelyallhere Sun 10-Mar-19 18:24:22

I know exactly who Crystaltipps means, I think the posts are bizarre, I reported them, as I imagine others have done but no response from GN. They are not just repetitive, there is something creepy about them, a kind of stalking, I wondered mental illness or worse. This forum becomes more contentious by the day, perhaps its all a response to the political nightmare we're living through.

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:25:16

Isn't it easier just to ignore their posts?
That's the best idea GrannyGravy - just carry on regardless crystaltipps
smile

varian Sun 10-Mar-19 18:28:50

These posts must be acutely embarrassing to those who share the same opinions.

Cherrytree59 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:29:58

smile

Day6 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:35:39

I think a certain someone has just confirmed my suspicions.

I am with you on this one crystaltipps and I think it's pretty obvious that all the posts are insincere. They certainly do not add to discussion.

However, as others have mentioned, GN moderators have let it go (if they are aware of it) so I am now ignoring the stupidity.

We are not supposed to feed those T things, so carrying on and ignoring is the best way forward.

Day6 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:41:35

These posts must be acutely embarrassing to those who share the same opinions

Oooh, that's a bit snide varian. Your contempt for Leavers is well known. You don't hide it.

I am a Leaver and not in the least embarrassed to admit it. The poster we refer to is game playing, and not convincing at all. A Remainer doing a bit of winding up maybe?

It's so blatant - THAT is embarrassing. Subtlety is an art form, I suppose......hmm

Chewbacca Sun 10-Mar-19 18:52:36

It's possible that they don't have the capacity to add anything more erudite or insightful to a discussion and the inane posts are as much as they can personally manage. Or maybe they aren't very good at articulating their thoughts and opinions in any other way, but want to be a part of the discussion. Either way, it's probably kindest to ignore them and just carry on with the discussion in hand. smile

varian Sun 10-Mar-19 19:04:34

I do not have contempt for leave voters Day6, some were good people who were misled. I do have contempt for the cheating lying leave campaigners who fooled people with their lies.

Day6 Sun 10-Mar-19 19:07:53

I agree Chewbacca. That thought crossed my mind after I posted. This site isn't about being stand-offish and all-comers are invited to join in.

But then notentirelyallhere posted - "there is something creepy about them, a kind of stalking, I wondered mental illness or worse."

The best bet (and kindest) is probably to ignore.

Day6 Sun 10-Mar-19 19:10:04

Forgot to add that I agree, and notentirelyallhere makes a valid point.

MissAdventure Sun 10-Mar-19 19:12:24

It's easily enough ignored.

Day6 Sun 10-Mar-19 19:15:35

I do not have contempt for leave voters Day6, some were good people who were misled.

were good people?

I am a good person, I was when I voted Leave in 2016, and I still am! grin Honestly, guvnor!

I wasn't misled either.

But back to the subject matter......

varian Sun 10-Mar-19 19:21:22

In my pinion, Day6, you were misled. Time will tell.

varian Sun 10-Mar-19 19:21:34

opinion

GrannyGravy13 Sun 10-Mar-19 19:25:35

Please can we possibly have one thread on GN that doesn't turn into a "Brexit Battle"?

Chewbacca Sun 10-Mar-19 19:29:11

Apparently not GrannyGravy. That was on my Christmas wish list and it's still not arrived.sad