Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Clarification on "guidelines&quo t; please

(45 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:59:47

GNHQ guidelines state

"We don't generally delete whole discussion threads, unless they're libellous or racist or otherwise break the law, because it's frustrating for people to write carefully considered responses that, minutes later, are removed."

As far as I can see there is no mention of deleting "threads about threads"

Just what do GNHQ consider worthy of deletion? Insulting another member's intelligence or insinuating a member is a liar all appear to be allowed.

The criteria of what GNHQ finds acceptable seems to change depending on who is admin. for the day

HildaW Fri 22-Mar-19 10:07:44

Seems the only recourse is to delete a comment or thread. I reported one the other day which seems deliberately provocative on the thread that was full of diverse views but still very tolerant and polite. The comment I saw cast aspersions about someone's class and values and seemed to me to be 'stirring'. GN came back with a comment that it did not consider it delectable yet they agreed it could be seen as unpleasant. That's all very well, I agree it did not need to be removed but perhaps some other sanction is required.

JasmineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 22-Mar-19 10:47:29

Hi there, for more clarification on this issue, please see Lara's comment here: www.gransnet.com/forums/site_stuff/a1259350-To-GNHQ#27143977

In our netiquette, it says "we will delete threads about other ongoing threads, as it causes too much confusion on the forums."

www.gransnet.com/info/netiquette

We hope that helps.

kittylester Fri 22-Mar-19 13:22:56

It doesn't help much if we want to talk about the site in general as phoenix did in her thread.

Oh Lordy!!!!

Gonegirl Fri 22-Mar-19 13:25:35

How long before someone at HQ says "Shut the fuck up!"? grin

Gonegirl Fri 22-Mar-19 13:26:09

(Bet they're sayhing it in private)

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Mar-19 13:39:04

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

phoenix Fri 22-Mar-19 15:40:24

Charming! (Again)

kittylester Fri 22-Mar-19 15:49:24

I'm not sure whether that was offensive or not maryeliza. grin

phoenix Fri 22-Mar-19 16:20:14

Ummmm, let me guess.................

trisher Fri 22-Mar-19 17:11:02

So we can discuss the underlying atmosphere but must do so without mentioning any particular posts, isn't that a bit like discussing communism but never mentioning Marx?

phoenix Fri 22-Mar-19 17:20:49

Does get a bit confused trisher in my first thread that got deleted, I didn't mention any particular posts but did refer slightly obliquely to a particular thread, but only to say how disappointing it was that such a thread should include such posts.

Oh heavens, here I go again.................................blush I'll get my coat.........

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Mar-19 17:24:16

No it will be about childish nudges and winks aimed at specific threads and posters in the usual dog whistle way whilst pearl clutching at how awful ‘some’ (nudge nudge wink wink) posters are whilst those posting are oh so perfect

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Mar-19 17:25:19

Phoenix why do you think the rules don’t apply to you?

phoenix Fri 22-Mar-19 18:45:45

Maryeliza54 why do you think that common decency and good manners doesn't apply to you?

I'm happy to abide by rules, it's just that sometimes (on here) they can appear to be a bit "flexible" to say the least.

phoenix Fri 22-Mar-19 19:09:16

Ok, time to come clean, my twin set and pearls are kept in pristine condition, I regularly have my pearls re-strung to ensure that they can withstand repeated clutching, the re-stringing also ensures that my overuse of lavender water doesn't have an adverse effect on them.

When not doing flower arranging in the church, I am often to be found delivering home made soup to the poor, whether they want it or not.

When visiting the local shop, I avert my gaze from the newspaper rack, as I would be offended by some of the front pages, and do not always have my smelling salts with me.

I struggle through, but manage.

phoenix Fri 22-Mar-19 19:13:47

Forgot to add, my constant nudging has left me with an on-going shoulder problem, and of course the obsessive winking has developed into a tic.

I will attempt to bear it with fortitude.

Yours,

Saint Phoenix

PageTurner Fri 22-Mar-19 19:39:52

This type of thread is so entertaining. It's like going to work, but not actually having to put up with the quibbling. No pressure and I can go home when I feel like it?
I do so appreciate your humor, Phoenix

phoenix Fri 22-Mar-19 19:56:30

Thank you, PageTurner

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Mar-19 20:16:31

Just what do GNHQ consider worthy of deletion
Probably the one about swearing before too long!!

I'm happy to abide by rules, it's just that sometimes (on here) they can appear to be a bit "flexible" to say the least.
according to whichever mods are on duty, I presume.

Some are too busy eating cake.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Mar-19 20:18:45

my overuse of lavender water
Oh no! Should I dispose of my Jo Malone Lavender Eau de Toilette that is Lavender plus some other obscure scent (Amber, Lovage, Cannabis, whatever?)

phoenix Fri 22-Mar-19 20:34:03

Jalima deep breath, calm down, light a Jo Malone and relaaaaaaax!

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Mar-19 20:35:30

grin

I shall go and spray myself with lavender and amber ……. relaxing

phoenix Fri 22-Mar-19 20:41:52

Oops meant a Jo Malone candle, wasn't for a moment suggesting setting fire to Jo Malone!

That's it, the police will be round at any moment, and I will be carted off for threatening bodily harm to someone who may be regarded as an established British entrepreneur!

Anja Fri 22-Mar-19 20:52:56

This is all very middle class! I can’t afford pearls and I’ve never owned a twin set in my life; no Jo Malone candles either.

I do have a very effective Cooks Candle from Sainsbury’s that’s got rid of the smell of Fish& Chips we had tonight. But what can I clutch? Feeling bereft ?