Gransnet forums

Site stuff

A polite request for some bloody manners!

(52 Posts)
phoenix Tue 02-Apr-19 21:03:35

Evening all, and good wishes to you.

I am heartily sick of people, and it does at first glance seem to be mostly "new" members, starting a thread and then disappearing!

They are often asking for advice or help, people take the trouble to reply, sometimes providing links (which shows they have taken the time and effort to do a bit of research) and then?

Zilch! Nada! B*gger all in the way of response, let alone thanks!

I appreciate that there may be times when a poster may not be able to come back promptly, but not to come back at all is just damn rude and a bit of an insult to those who have contributed.

Wobbles Tue 02-Apr-19 21:08:02

Well said phoenix ???

maryeliza54 Tue 02-Apr-19 21:13:45

Oh for goodness sake , your post sounds so entitled. How about ‘old’ posters treating new posters with more respect instead of troll hunting them mistakenly and getting on their GN royalty high horses. People can come onto GN and post and disappear if they want to . It all sounds a bit snowflakey IMO -rude and insulting? Not like any of the ‘old’ posters ever are then?

GrandmainOz Tue 02-Apr-19 21:14:44

PhoenixI've noticed this too. It's an odd feeling when you read something and think, oh I should really try to support this person, only for them to vanish

maryeliza54 Tue 02-Apr-19 21:16:34

Love these generalised attacks - they always end well don’t they?

EllanVannin Tue 02-Apr-19 21:24:56

You beat me to it Maryeliza ! From the one who gave me short shrift yesterday.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Apr-19 21:25:01

I was brought up with the mantra "manners maketh man", I try to adhere to this.

If you ask for help in your OP, surely it is only right to respond to posters?

If the OP is just a "conversation starter" it is not so important for OP to respond, but if you are interested/worried enough to start a thread surely you would want to respond/acknowledge replies?

Farmor15 Tue 02-Apr-19 21:26:34

Agree with you Phoenix. But what surprises me is how many people continue to post when the thread has gone on for pages without the OP returning. Though sometimes the thread can result in interesting discussions anyway.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Apr-19 21:27:45

About rugs on laminate of all things and I got two brusque replies back. One doesn't have to be new ?!

phoenix Tue 02-Apr-19 21:30:26

maryeliza54 I do hope you got a refund.

phoenix Tue 02-Apr-19 21:45:28

Ok, put it this way, we are all encouraged to behave on here as we would in real life.

So, you are in a cafe with a friend, they ask for your advice or opinion on some topic, you are part way through responding, and they get up and walk out, without a word.

Bad manners, surely?

Anniebach Tue 02-Apr-19 22:16:12

Yes Phoenix

phoenix Tue 02-Apr-19 22:21:05

Thank you Annie, wasn't sure if I had put that properly!

Anja Tue 02-Apr-19 22:25:03

I don’t think, in fact I’m sure, this isn’t aimed at you EV

Anja Tue 02-Apr-19 22:26:01

phoenix yes. Completely puts me off GN.

Bathsheba Tue 02-Apr-19 22:31:17

I'm with you all the way phoenix. This behaviour, together with all the deleted posts, is really putting me off GN too.

phoenix Tue 02-Apr-19 22:32:49

Anja you are right, this thread is intended to be purely about people who start a thread, asking for help and advice, which they get, but don't bother to come back and respond!

M0nica Tue 02-Apr-19 22:33:58

Surely if you come on a forum like this you must expect to take the rough with the smooth,

phoenix Tue 02-Apr-19 22:38:17

M0nica I'm not referring to posters disagreeing, it's the manners thing, as in my post of 21.45

Gonegirl Tue 02-Apr-19 22:42:59

Maybe a poster, up until then a lurker only, plucks up the courage to place a problem on a forum, but then cant find anymore courage to follow it up. But they do read the replies, and possibly benefit from them.

The other side of the coin is that GNrs enjoy offering advice. That's why a thread continues without the OP coming back. So it's a win win situation.

Smooth the old feathers down p?

Gonegirl Tue 02-Apr-19 22:43:37

wink

Anja Tue 02-Apr-19 22:44:33

Oh that’ll be it then ?

Gonegirl Tue 02-Apr-19 22:44:38

Perhaps we all like the chance to be agony aunt for a day?

Gonegirl Tue 02-Apr-19 22:45:15

It's an explanation. Might be the right one.

phoenix Tue 02-Apr-19 22:46:11

Less of the "old", if you don't mind Gonegirl wink