Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Only my opinion

(35 Posts)
phoenix Sun 23-Jun-19 18:30:34

And no doubt I will be shot down in flames but apart from a few things (*Soops*) for example, GN recently seems to be weighted to games threads, all in SHOUTY CAPITALS or politics or estrangement sad

Calendargirl Sun 23-Jun-19 18:40:20

Personally not at all interested in the games, much prefer proper discussions.

Calendargirl Sun 23-Jun-19 18:41:07

Wish the games were in a separate section.

Ginny42 Sun 23-Jun-19 18:48:38

Surely the contents reflect the interests of the readers. I use it like a newspaper or magazine and read what I'm interested in and leave the rest. The readership defines the popularity of the threads. How would you like it to be different phoenix?

merlotgran Sun 23-Jun-19 18:56:58

There used to be a lot more humour. I've noticed that threads are often labelled, 'light hearted' these days. That shouldn't be necessary.

tanith Sun 23-Jun-19 19:10:03

I get rid of the games as soon as they appear I don’t have to see them.

sodapop Sun 23-Jun-19 19:16:28

Yes so do I tanith can't be bothered to wade through pages of responses in case anything is duplicated.
Yes I agree Phoenix seems to have lost some of its spark. Maybe it reflects the mood of the nation Ginny42

humptydumpty Sun 23-Jun-19 19:33:39

How do you get rid of the games? I never play them and would like to avoid constantly being presented with them...

Alima Sun 23-Jun-19 19:37:59

Since I started looking at GN this subject seems to crop up fairly frequently. (Rather hope that is just a coincidence). I have read several posts where GN old timers mourn the fun GN of old, makes me think it was one big jolly at the beginning. In my experience Friday nights were always good for a touch of the ridiculous on here, almost as if we had that Friday feeling.

Gonegirl Sun 23-Jun-19 19:53:34

Some of us are scared to add a bit of humour in case we get complained about. The "population" of Gransnet has changed a lot since the early days. Funnily enough it seemed to start when Mumsnet was closed down for a few days and MNrs were invited onto GN.

Gonegirl Sun 23-Jun-19 19:56:07

I would guess many people join up just to play games (and enter competitions) and GN need a large number of members to attract advertisers.

ninathenana Sun 23-Jun-19 19:57:07

Calendargirl you can block the games threads. Open the thread, click the red arrow top right. From the drop down menu select "hide this thread"
Next time you go to Active page the thread will not show.

merlotgran Sun 23-Jun-19 20:00:57

Some of us are scared to add a bit of humour in case we get complained about.

Yes!

Gonegirl Sun 23-Jun-19 20:12:26

I would never dream of starting a light-hearted thread on here. Everything is taken so heavy.

Gonegirl Sun 23-Jun-19 20:16:39

Actually, while we're on the subject, it's not only light-hearted threads that are risky. The (many) estrangement threads are probably best considered to be no-go areas. Because if you state what you feel is the truth and something that needs saying. you are shot down in flames and deleted. (Bring back Geraldine?)

Actually, when I think about it, is any part of GN worth it any more?

Luckylegs Sun 23-Jun-19 20:23:28

I can’t understand (and others agree with me) that games should be in a separate place somehow. I’m going to try following the advice and block them all!

merlotgran Sun 23-Jun-19 20:30:47

I received many wonderful messages of support during the last four months so I would definitely applaud Gransnet for its caring side and I'm sure others feel the same but as somebody who is drawn to the more light hearted threads I've realised that quite a few of the witty and very funny posters have left.

Humour needs other people to bounce off if it's going to make you laugh.

Urmstongran Sun 23-Jun-19 21:00:25

MissAdventure (sp?) used to make me laugh with her witty one liners but I don’t think she posts now.

And Gonegirl I agree about the estrangement or some of the AIBU threads. mabon always cut to the chase. Said what probably a lot of us were thinking - she was brave enough to say it! Some of those threads are embarrassing to read full of ‘there, there’ and ‘I empathise’ etc. No one wants to be mean but the truth does hurt (a bit) yet we pussy foot around a little too much - which is why I avoid them.

merlotgran Sun 23-Jun-19 21:10:55

Shame that Miss A seems to have left and also Jalima?

Grammaretto Sun 23-Jun-19 21:57:29

I blame the state of the world. There's nothing to laugh about any more!
I haven't been on GN all that long. A year? I must have missed all the great posters wink or did I chase them away. I do hope not.
I found GN by chance when googling an answer to a family dilemma, I think.
Anyway I felt at home and stayed. Met some GNs in real life too and they are lovely.

Anniebach Sun 23-Jun-19 22:05:40

I feel there are more aggressive posters than a few years ago

MawBroonsback Sun 23-Jun-19 22:07:17

Jalima is still around -but I will leave her to advise you!

MawBroonsback Sun 23-Jun-19 22:10:36

Still spending too much time on this though.....

Coolgran65 Sun 23-Jun-19 22:31:29

Wonderful.... I've hidden every Games thresd. 😊

Urmstongran Sun 23-Jun-19 22:58:38

Me too Maw
I should go and do something else. Well, earlier this evening, obviously! I keep looking at the clock and thinking ‘just a little longer’ and that was an hour ago now!