Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Lurkers' week: what do you like best about Gransnet?

(32 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Mar-20 15:55:43

Just that really - we would love to know.

Jannerjj Mon 09-Mar-20 16:31:52

What I love about GN is knowing that there are a lot of other people like me ? in a good way of course ?. Good articles and chats that I can relate to , thank you

grannyactivist Mon 09-Mar-20 16:46:56

Hello Jannerjj - does your name indicate you're from a certain city in Devon by any chance? wink

I like that without leaving my home (armchair/bed) I have an opportunity to engage with a community of people from many walks of life. I find it stimulating and challenging to interact with people, many of whose views and opinions differ from my own.

But mostly I like that the vast majority of people on here mean well and can be very supportive. smile

kittylester Mon 09-Mar-20 16:48:29

Ok, ga said it for me and much better than I could!

Harris27 Mon 09-Mar-20 18:00:22

I love the fact that I can just drop in anytime and have a chat about almost anything. It’s like having a coffee with an old friend. I look forward to reading the morning posts and seeing what people are up to before I go to work. I love the fact I can post about something that I’m worried about or need advice and there’s always someone that will help me.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 09-Mar-20 18:07:41

It's interesting to hear from people with ideas that are quite different from mine, particularly (dare I mention it?) on the politics threads. I rarely post on them though, as they can get a bit unpleasant. I know that we should all read the DM and the Guardian, so that we are exposed to both sides of any debate, but I really prefer to come to GN!

Suki70 Mon 09-Mar-20 18:22:31

I love the sense of humour of many posters, their posts often make me laugh out loud, much to the puzzlement of my DH.

GeminiJen Mon 09-Mar-20 18:48:44

I always turn first to the Forums, especially the Books/Book club for the opportunity to experience new books and exchange views with others; while the Meet ups forum has resulted in new friendships and a lot of fun with GransNetters old and new grin

CherryCezzy Mon 09-Mar-20 19:03:30

Lots to like. Laugh out loud threads and lightheartedness, lovely support for those facing hard times, lively debates, lots of advice and learning on offer and lots of calorie free ? s.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Mar-20 19:22:10

Ah this is lovely to hear. Gemini delighted you love our book club too

Pittcity Mon 09-Mar-20 19:41:04

Loads of friends available 24/7.

Kimlesleythomas Mon 09-Mar-20 19:52:00

I love looking at the recipes and trying them out.

Smileless2012 Mon 09-Mar-20 19:57:23

Just about everything really. I was in a very dark place when I first joined and I'll never forget the support I received then, and continue to receive when I need it.

GrannyNettie Mon 09-Mar-20 20:57:41

Hi I am a lurker of some years, and have always enjoyed the camaraderie that is on Gransnet, also the sensible assistance that is given, I might not always agree but can appreciate others point of view.

Scooty413 Mon 09-Mar-20 22:10:36

Welcome GrannyNettie it's the same with me. It's like sitting with lots of friends around a fire with a drink or 2, just listening and enjoying the cameraderie.

Giggles04 Mon 09-Mar-20 22:20:25

I love reading the latest chats, and the differing views! I also love looking out for the latest competitions.

Scottiebear Mon 09-Mar-20 22:56:08

Love the lighthearted posts. And the competitions. And the recipes. What's not to like?

Maybelater2020 Mon 09-Mar-20 22:58:58

I like that I can pop in any time and listen to the chat. It's almost like popping into my local coffee shop where I can sit and relax. I have had a difficult couple of years and just lurking on Gransnet has made me feel less alone. Knowing that many others have had similar experiences puts things into perspective.

Annapops Mon 09-Mar-20 23:10:23

Popping into the good morning thread. Hearing weather updates from around the country and the usual day to day lives of others. Always very friendly.

Tillymint21 Mon 09-Mar-20 23:54:16

I have really enjoyed realising that others on here think about/worry about/laugh about the same things as me - the bigger things as well as the little things! It feels like a lovely community to be in.

tabby1 Tue 10-Mar-20 00:12:47

I'm a lurker, I like reading the posts but am a bit nervous of joining in the discussions. I have 5 grandchildren, 4 in Switzerland and 1 in Australia. So I am a Skyper and a Whatsnetter and we get by with a visit when we have saved up especially for Australia. I started reading the posts a while ago because I wondered how others coped being a long-distance grandparent. I read some great posts and one gran suggested writing a letter to grandchildren abroad. I started doing this and I found it a lovely way to keep in touch, I get so much enjoyment from this and I know they love receiving my letters. I'm really grateful to the person who suggested this.

Holidayenthusiast Tue 10-Mar-20 08:41:34

I subscribe to the Newsletter and use the links to the current forums. I enjoy reading the posts but very rarely join in.
I always have a go at the competitions and I also explore book recommendations and recipes.

JessK Tue 10-Mar-20 09:44:37

Interesting variety of topics to discuss and you learn a lot even if you don't personally post a contribution.

Angelwings Tue 10-Mar-20 11:46:02

I love my regular Gransnet emails with tempting headlines that I can just click on when I’m feeling nosey/ intrigued or have something to contribute myself.
I love the fact that we are all so open about things here.

Morgie52 Tue 10-Mar-20 12:36:45

Love the variety of topics that are covered.