Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Highlighting all OP posts, as on Mumsnet

(58 Posts)
Maggiemaybe Wed 15-Jul-20 08:31:16

There have been calls on here over the years for all posts on a thread by the original poster to be highlighted, as they are on Mumsnet, which makes it easier to follow the progress of the discussion.

Mumsnetters now have the facility to choose to see all posts by the OP at the click of a button, which is even better, imho. It gives users an idea of whether reading the full thread is worth the time and effort. smile

Do others agree that we seem to be falling behind here?

MerylStreep Wed 15-Jul-20 08:42:04

Maggiemaybe
I'm afraid we are the poor relation to MN. I'm sure all requests from us are discussed, and then binned.

janeainsworth Wed 15-Jul-20 08:43:52

I rarely go on MN maggie but it seems like a good idea.

Apart from anything else, on those threads where someone comes asking for advice, and gradually adds bits to their story, it would make it easier to get the full picture.
And it would make it easier to spot those occasional posters who ask for advice on a rather unusual problem and then never come back, leaving those who have taken the trouble to reply wondering if they’ve been the victims of a wind-up.

Marydoll Wed 15-Jul-20 08:44:25

I agree, Maggiemaybe! I like to come back to a thread to see if the OP has actually returned to post. Often someone starts a thread and never comes back!. It's so annoying, when people have taken the trouble to respond. ?

Marydoll Wed 15-Jul-20 08:45:55

MerylStreep ?

Grannybags Wed 15-Jul-20 08:52:57

I agree. It's something we keep asking for but for some reason GNHQ wont/can't make it happen

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-Jul-20 08:56:40

GN doesn’t attract the revenue like mumsnet, in fact I suspect I suspect it is run at a loss, so the only thing that will be taken up with much enthusiasm are ideas for making money.

TerriBull Wed 15-Jul-20 08:57:31

I think it's a good idea, particularly if the thread is related to a specific problem and everyone piles in with their two cents worth. Ultimately, the reader wants to know the reaction of the poster, and how they intend to solve/proceed, or whether there has been any advancement or resolution.

B9exchange Wed 15-Jul-20 08:59:53

Absolutely second the above, it wouldn't cost GN anything apart from a few minutes of web developer time?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Jul-20 09:05:38

Morning! And thank you for the feedback. It's an update that has only very recently been released on Mumsnet and yes, we agree is really useful. Their threads tend to be a lot longer than ours with many running to the limit of 1000 posts, so finding the OP or following the conversation in our threads is usually a lot easier. It's a fair amount of work for our tech teams to implement but we'll certainly ask the question. It may be that it will be considered once more of our threads run into multiple pages. smile

Chewbacca Wed 15-Jul-20 09:10:20

Thanks LaraGransnet but that's a bit disappointing really. Highlighted posts make it much easier to keep track. <sigh>

Urmstongran Wed 15-Jul-20 09:12:38

Yes a disappointing reply from GNHQ. It would be so much better o have OP updates.

sodapop Wed 15-Jul-20 09:14:05

On my tablet all the OP posts are highlighted in green and mine in pink.

Missfoodlove Wed 15-Jul-20 09:18:59

Sodapop, mine too, I read from my iPhone.

glammanana Wed 15-Jul-20 09:26:27

My Ops posts are posted in green and mine are pink on my laptop,really easy to find.

MaizieD Wed 15-Jul-20 09:40:33

I'd rather have that than the silly 'quote' function that quotes the entire message, when you may only want to highlight a sentence from it, and then embeds quotes within quotes so that a single sentence response takes up a massive amount of the screen!

Squiffy Wed 15-Jul-20 10:38:46

I agree, it would be a great asset. Sometimes, the OP adds information during the course of the thread because other posters have come up with ideas/questions and that can alter the course of the thread completely. Unless prospective posters read the entire thread they will not realise that and may post something that's no longer relevant.

Not everyone has the time/ability/stamina to read pages and pages of posts!

Ellianne Wed 15-Jul-20 10:41:11

Soda pop, mine too on my phone. Easy to find when OP re-enters the thread.

Marmight Wed 15-Jul-20 10:47:38

Maizie. Those repeat quotes which I’ve only recently noticed, are seriously annoying, so much so that I’m now not reading most of them ?

Maggiemaybe Wed 15-Jul-20 11:13:29

Thanks for the response, Lara, it’s good to know you’re listening! It looks as though most of us would like this function, so fingers crossed it’ll be considered.

I don’t often cross over to the other side, but my visits are much more interesting now. And a bit shorter. blush

I’m surprised that others can see all the OP’s posts in green on their iPhones. I only see the first post highlighted, then all my own in pink. Perhaps it’s because my phone’s an old one.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Jul-20 11:20:46

We'll definitely take a look into it. We completely appreciate it does make following the threads easier so will get back to you. smile

Marydoll Wed 15-Jul-20 11:32:11

I have a brand new android phone and only the OP is green. Any following posts by the OP are white, like everyone else's. So nothing to do with age of phone, I think.

Maggiemaybe Wed 15-Jul-20 11:34:53

Marydoll

I have a brand new android phone and only the OP is green. Any following posts by the OP are white, like everyone else's. So nothing to do with age of phone, I think.

Thanks, Marydoll. It’s puzzling, isn’t it? confused

FarNorth Wed 15-Jul-20 11:59:44

The option to see only the OP's posts may be new to MN, but seeing all the OP's posts highlighted within the thread is not new.

Even with our non-lengthy GN threads, I have often wished we had this feature so we can quickly see all that the OP has said on the subject.

Please do this, if at all possible, GNHQ.

Grannybags Wed 15-Jul-20 12:03:30

Me too Marydoll Only the original post is green the rest are white. All mine show up as pink