Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Private messages -are they?

(108 Posts)
MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 20:46:50

I am extremely concerned that Private Messages I have sent to some members have been removed ostensibly “at user’s request”.
This is SIMPLY NOT TRUE.
I understood PMs were precisely that, ie “private” so nobody has the right to read, let alone delete them although I realise they do disappear if a member leaves GN.
I wonder if GNHQ would care to comment?

Oopsminty Mon 07-Sep-20 20:51:06

Yes! I've seen one of those. I just believed the user's request comment

Shocking if that's not the case!

Madgran77 Mon 07-Sep-20 20:53:40

I think it might be that if the person you sent it to deletes it then you get that message??

Oopsminty Mon 07-Sep-20 20:55:27

I didn't delete mine. I saw there was a message. Went to open it and it just said that the message had been removed at users's request

Most peculiar

aggie Mon 07-Sep-20 20:55:52

I have had this happen , but it was quite a long time ago
I never found the reason

MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 20:57:38

Oopsminty

Yes! I've seen one of those. I just believed the user's request comment

Shocking if that's not the case!

Well if it was one of mine, I didnt - so what is going on?

Chewbacca Mon 07-Sep-20 20:58:47

Hmmmm, apparently, I was sent some pm messages today but, as I've been at work all day, couldn't access GN until this evening. No sign of those on messages in my inbox. hmm

Madgran77 Mon 07-Sep-20 20:59:17

I didn't delete mine. I saw there was a message. Went to open it and it just said that the message had been removed at users's request

Sorry to be dim - do you mean you didn't delete the message you had receieved or a message you had sent?

I think that if someone sent you a message and then deleted what they had sent you it would give you the message you received. Equally if they deleted you had sent them that would also show in your inbox as deleted ...

kittylester Mon 07-Sep-20 21:01:11

I was going to ask about that as it happened to me last night. I was going to ask the sender why she did it? I certainly didn't!!

I think we need answers from gnhq!

kittylester Mon 07-Sep-20 21:03:16

I had read the the one that disappeared from my inbox last night but definitely didn't delete it.

aggie Mon 07-Sep-20 21:03:30

I hadn’t deleted anything , nor had the sender

lemongrove Mon 07-Sep-20 21:04:13

Oopsminty

Most peculiar

This same thing today and five messages are now lost....can’t reply as I don’t know what they said.?

Parsley3 Mon 07-Sep-20 21:12:46

A message I had received was deleted at the user’s request today. Strangely, other messages I had received from the user were not deleted. It looks like GN have access to our PMs.

Urmstongran Mon 07-Sep-20 21:14:59

I’ve had a couple of yours Maw seemingly deleted at your request. I thought it strange.

All this smacks of Big Brother.
Concerning.

MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 21:17:53

I have emailed [email protected].
Would anybody else be interested in doing something similar?

Juliet27 Mon 07-Sep-20 21:18:56

I've also been told that a message was removed at the user's request.

Urmstongran Mon 07-Sep-20 21:19:08

I will.

Pantglas2 Mon 07-Sep-20 21:19:31

Lots of mine too from two different Grans which seems odd - wots occurrin?

Urmstongran Mon 07-Sep-20 21:23:33

Done it ✅

kittylester Mon 07-Sep-20 21:23:44

I'll message them but I have bothered them a bit lately!blush

kittylester Mon 07-Sep-20 21:40:14

I've messaged.

One reason I bothered hq last night was because I was concerned about a poster. I didn't get a reply until this morning so I hope they weren't busy deleting and thus ignoring my concerns.

tickingbird Mon 07-Sep-20 21:44:55

I’ve had the same but they were deleted “at user’s request” after I’d read them. Not today though.

annsixty Mon 07-Sep-20 21:59:04

How very strange.
I have just checked my inbox and have two PM’s deleted with the same message.
I certainly hadn’t noticed before.
Curiouser and curiouser.

Marydoll Mon 07-Sep-20 21:59:17

I thought I had already posted an explanation, but my post has disappeared.

I think I have an explanation for today's fiasco. I decided to tidy up my inbox this afternoon and deleted a number of emails I received.
It's a throwback from my teaching days, when our mailboxes had little storage capacity and we had to constantly delete items.

Despite NOT, being the sender, the PMs seem to have also been deleted for the other recipients, without them having even been read.?
This would not have happened on a normal mail system, but I foolishly didn't realise that GNs system deleted the PMs for all the group.

I shall report this post to alert GN.
I'm mortified, although it wasn't deliberate.☹️
Sorry ladies. ?

Chewbacca Mon 07-Sep-20 22:01:20

Bravo Marydoll, for solving the mystery! All's well that ends well.