Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Private messages -are they?

(109 Posts)
MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 20:46:50

I am extremely concerned that Private Messages I have sent to some members have been removed ostensibly “at user’s request”.
This is SIMPLY NOT TRUE.
I understood PMs were precisely that, ie “private” so nobody has the right to read, let alone delete them although I realise they do disappear if a member leaves GN.
I wonder if GNHQ would care to comment?

rosecarmel Mon 07-Sep-20 22:05:27

I know for certain that in the US "private messages" are not private-

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 07-Sep-20 22:23:33

Hi all - phew, it seems like this problem has been resolved. For future reference, if you can't access a PM and it shows this message about being deleted at user request, it's because the other user has deleted the PM from their inbox. smile

Alygran Mon 07-Sep-20 22:23:58

I have some deleted too at the user’s request. These came from a current poster but in her former name. If you leave GN are your private messages deleted?

Lucca Mon 07-Sep-20 22:34:39

MawB one you sent me on 19august says deleted at users request.

Marydoll Mon 07-Sep-20 22:43:52

That one was definitely was nothing to do with me! ?

Chewbacca Mon 07-Sep-20 22:56:49

grin Marydoll!

phoenix Mon 07-Sep-20 23:06:34

Hmm, still not sure on this, I have had some "deleted at (whoevers) request", and from posters that I have been in communication with!

Makes me wonder what they pm'd me, and then decided to retract it!

MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 23:09:19

Lucca

MawB one you sent me on 19august says deleted at users request.

Sometime in August MawB left the building - a combination of frustrations and circumstances I think and when I realised the error of my ways grin a few days later I could not use my former username so I became MawB2 and all messages under my old name were deleted - both sent and inbox.
I think that explains what happened to you and also to Alygran.

Callistemon Mon 07-Sep-20 23:11:54

For future reference, if you can't access a PM and it shows this message about being deleted at user request, it's because the other user has deleted the PM from their inbox.

But surely that means there is a glitch in the system?
If someone deletes all the messages in their mail box it shouldn't affect the messages in another person's mailbox that were received from or sent to that person?

It doesn't happen with email accounts.

Marydoll Mon 07-Sep-20 23:28:01

You are correct, Callistemon, in an email system, a deletion shouldn't affect everyone else's PMs, including the sender's.?

Today on GN has not been my finest hour! For a number of reasons.☹️
I'm going to bed and pulling the covers up over my head and hiding from the world. ?

Callistemon Mon 07-Sep-20 23:31:57

Drink up your nice cup of cocoa and get a good night's sleep.

brew

NotSpaghetti Mon 07-Sep-20 23:37:12

For what it's worth, I've also had my sent messages deleted.
It still makes no sense to me.
Why delete things in the other person's mail box, in or out?

Doodledog Mon 07-Sep-20 23:45:29

How do you know if someone has sent you a PM? I have had very few, but I found the ones I do have by accident as I can’t see any settings that notify the recipient.

Marydoll Tue 08-Sep-20 00:01:41

Doodledog, when you join GN, you are given the option of being emailed if you have PM.

Go to INBOX, then SETTINGS and tick the box to receive notification of a PM.

maddyone Tue 08-Sep-20 00:08:55

I’ve had loads of messages deleted at user’s request including some from you Maw
and from other Gransnetters who I don’t think have requested removal. I think it’s very strange, something strange is going on.

welbeck Tue 08-Sep-20 00:29:57

i thought it was obvious that PM are not private to GNHQ. it is their platform after all. they are private in the sense that they go to the chosen person, rather than be visible to everyone anyone reading these forums.
until they are deleted of course. it does sound odd, but then again, their platform their rules.

MawB2 Tue 08-Sep-20 01:40:59

maddyone

I’ve had loads of messages deleted at user’s request including some from you Maw
and from other Gransnetters who I don’t think have requested removal. I think it’s very strange, something strange is going on.

I suspect for the same reason I gave Lucca - my apologies!

BlueBelle Tue 08-Sep-20 03:30:07

I have lost posts like that the first time it happened I was mortified as I thought I d said something to upset the person but when I plucked up courage to ask them they told me ‘No I haven’t removed anything’ then they told me mine had gone from theirs as well
maw yours always go the next day but I presume you do remove them yourself Don’t you ?
All very weird

MawB2 Tue 08-Sep-20 06:29:54

No I have never removed one BlueBelle ??

annsixty Tue 08-Sep-20 06:41:28

The one deleted from you Maw was dated August 6th and one from Callistemon August 7th so Marydoll is blameless for those.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 08-Sep-20 06:53:29

I have often wondered if the PMs are truly Private, and it now appears not!

Hmm will be guarded now in divulging anything personal, as I think should we all.

kittylester Tue 08-Sep-20 07:09:19

The one I had deleted was on Sunday - luckily I had read it but could quite easily not gave done considering the fun and games on the threads that night.

On another point, do gnhq not moderate on Sundays?

Marydoll Tue 08-Sep-20 07:40:31

I'm relieved to hear it's not all my fault. Perhaps GNHQ should be alerting the techies to this and come back and update us here.

I don't think there is anything sinister going on, but a technical issue here.
After twenty years of being heavily involved in Education IT, nothing surprises me. Strange IT situations arose, with people making all sorts of allegations, and they turned out to be technical issues.

In saying that, I'm sure HQ, as administrators and owners of the site, can access our PMs if they wish.

As for no moderators being involved on a Sunday, I too wondered about that, * Kitty*, after that terrible thread on Sunday.☹️

Parsley3 Tue 08-Sep-20 08:55:21

HQ certainly had a busy time on Monday as they had to send a lot of emails reminding posters of the rules.

JenniferEccles Tue 08-Sep-20 09:01:17

I guess the only way for messages between two members to be completely private then is for people to give others their email addresses, thereby totally cutting out the GN connection.

I can’t think of any other way.

Of course some people would be reluctant to do that bearing in mind the hoax threads which, unfortunately, occur from time to time.