Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Rules - Mumsnet & Gransnet discrepancies

(324 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

FannyCornforth Thu 18-Mar-21 01:53:27

Hello
Are Gransnet and Mumsnet the same 'company', and are posting rules the same?
What follows now is what prompted my to ask.

I had three comments deleted on Tuesday due to them 'breaking talk guidelines', more specifically because they were 'gossip and speculation'. I was told to 'bear this is mind before posting'.
(There is no mention of 'gossip and speculation' in the Talk Guidelines).

I was rather surprised, for reasons which shall become clear, and a teeny bit peeved; but took in on the chin and totally accepted it.

However, it later came to mind that I'd actually learnt said 'gossip and speculation' (which isn't allowed) on Mumsnet.

Furthermore, I learnt this 'gossip and speculation' on a very long running MN thread from 2019, which concerned another senior member of the Windsor's alleged affair.

This morning I searched on MN for the name of this second alleged mistress, and her name appears over eighty times in relation to the Royal Family member.

One of the thread titles in which she appears is '(Insert name here) alleged affair' and another is titled 'Why are the UK press silent about Royal Family Member's alleged affair?'

They are very long running threads and are still available. There are many more threads which discuss the issue.

So, to cut a long story short; are talk guidelines the same on both sites, as it appears that they aren't.
I was under the impression that Gransnet and Mumsnet were one and the same.
Please can you shed some light on this?
Thank you very much!

Blossoming Thu 18-Mar-21 02:03:22

You should email Gransnet FC, you’re more likely to get an explanation that way. I don’t think they’re the same though. Different target audiences.

FannyCornforth Thu 18-Mar-21 02:06:51

I thought that GN was a subsidiary of MN.
I also thought that contributors to the site may want be interesting to hear about the 'gossip and speculation' rule.

FannyCornforth Thu 18-Mar-21 02:20:01

Sorry for the terrible sentence above.
Hope you get my drift!

Galaxy Thu 18-Mar-21 06:46:33

I would imagine it means that someone reported on GN and not on MN.

FannyCornforth Thu 18-Mar-21 07:28:21

Galaxy so stuff gets deleted because it's reported rather than against guideline?
Would it be more apt to say that 'we are deleting because its unpopular', or something?
(These questions aren't directed at you, btw, I'm just referring to your comment!)

Galaxy Thu 18-Mar-21 07:38:41

No it breaks guidelines on both sites it's just one isnt noticed. I am guessing here mind I have no access to how GNHQ or MNHQ think! My guess is people on GN are more likely to report comments about the royal family due to ideas of respect etc whereas on MN it is not seen in the same way, more like an ongoing episode of eastenders.

FannyCornforth Thu 18-Mar-21 07:50:51

Thank you for taking time to reply.
It needs to be in the Talk Guidelines then if 'rumour and speculation' isn't allowed?
I'm don't have much to do with the RF threads because I'm a bit 'over' it all, but I do have the odd peek. I'm sure that there is much G&S (not Gilbert & Sullivan) elsewhere?
I mention this to HQ and got the reply to report anything and that they'd take a look'.
Obviously, and of course, I've got absolutely no intention to do that.

FannyCornforth Thu 18-Mar-21 07:54:17

I'm not singling out the RF threads either btw.
I'm sure that there is rumour and speculation on some News & Politics threads, for another instance.

Riverwalk Thu 18-Mar-21 07:54:24

We've had a number threads over the years about the differences in applying rules & guidelines on GN and MN.

In my opinion, GN's aim is to keep this site 'nice' and appeal more to gentle older folk who are conservative (small or large C), royalists, cake makers, wear sensible shoes and whose opinions are mainly formed by watching daytime TV from dawn till dusk.

It's an outdated concept - but their forums, their rules.

Esspee Thu 18-Mar-21 07:54:39

I can go one better. I made a light hearted topical joke about a capon on a thread on Gransnet. Within 10 mins it was removed and I was sent a warning email. I was furious and the resulting argument got me banned for a week.
A few months later on another thread I deliberately posted the same definition to see how quickly it would be deleted. It wasn’t.
This suggests to me that someone reporting you is the criteria.
Problem is this can be done anonymously. I have on occasion reported a post myself. I usually then post “reported” within the thread. If you don’t do that then the individual has no idea who reported them so this can be used vindictively.
The solution is for us all to petition GNHQ to specify who reported it when a deletion is made.

Galaxy Thu 18-Mar-21 07:58:19

Well of course it would remain if no one reported it because they wouldnt know about it. That joke would have lasted 3 seconds on MN every single time. It depends on the nature of what is seen as important on each site by its members.
Under no circumstances would I want reporting identified, I reported every bizarre troll a number of times, I certainly wouldnt want them knowing I reported them.

Galaxy Thu 18-Mar-21 07:58:55

A very bizarre troll that should say.

Kandinsky Thu 18-Mar-21 08:00:00

They are the same company yes, but with a different ( older ) demographic.
As Galaxy said, gransnetters are more likely to respect the Royal family and report posts they feel are hurtful & gossipy.
And if HQ agree, the posts will go.
The rules are the same on both sites ( I think? ) but if lots of people reported your posts - even though they didn’t break the set in stone rules - HQ are obliged to have a look, and if they agree with all the reports they will delete them.
There’s stuff that gets posted on mumsnet that would never see the light of day on here. Not because they break talk guide lines, but because they appeal to a younger audience. I’m sure you know what I mean.

So in a nutshell - it’s all about how many reports a post gets as well as the ‘rules’ in regards to deletions.

dragonfly46 Thu 18-Mar-21 08:02:22

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FannyCornforth Thu 18-Mar-21 08:02:49

Thank you Riverwalk and Esspee
Yes, I too once made a light hearted joke which derived from The Windsors, it was misconstrued, and not wanting to upset anyone I reported myself and announced the fact.
Riverwalk yes, I agree, their site their rules, and I don't take it too seriously, but it would be better to be candid about it.
I suppose it's just too much work, and perhaps impossible, to be totally upfront and consistent.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 08:11:51

Yes it’s all about being reported ( and maybe a bit to do with which site and which moderator deals with the report).

Iam64 Thu 18-Mar-21 08:21:51

tickingbird Thu 18-Mar-21 08:26:01

I find the amount of reporting on here really snide and bitchy. Trolls yes, but I went back to read a thread a few days ago and there had obviously been some kind of spat between two members and a whole raft of posts had been deleted. So annoying.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 08:28:07

Imo people may well judge a post as reportable based on their personal views of the poster concerned.

aggie Thu 18-Mar-21 08:28:42

FannyCornforth Thu 18-Mar-21 08:29:58

Suzie or even just take a dislike to the cut of their jib!

sodapop Thu 18-Mar-21 08:30:42

Emily49 Thu 18-Mar-21 08:31:13

But surely posts can’t be deleted and posters even banned just because other posters say so? There must be moderation, with guidelines, e.g. racism, sexism, etc. One can’t surely just contact GNHQ and request a post be deleted, “because I don’t like if”?

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 08:31:22

I also would like to know if moderators look at the context of a reported post as sometimes it’s possible to discern some winding up going on and especially when a pile on happens that results in a post that’s then deleted whilst tge winder uppers are then all ?