Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Imbalance in feedback opportunities

(221 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

ElderlyPerson Mon 02-Aug-21 06:40:17

Every thread has a link to report the thread to GNHQ.

Yet no link to inform GNHQ that one thinks that a thread is good.

Every post has a link to report the post to GNHQ.

Yet no link to inform GNHQ that one thinks that a post is good.

So GNHQ may well get unbalanced feedback.

Callistemon Mon 02-Aug-21 16:15:13

The thread where people can ask question in English about what is being discussed in the French cafe is, as I write, about the mechanics of using Google Translate and more stuff about baby food, Immediately before that was a childish and tedious quote-nesting competition which, again, lost my interest.

I don't think I could summon up a lot of interest in a cafe which only served baby food, Flexagon grin

So, when I was driving, just going along in the leftmost lane, "after you" at junctions, let people into the queue from a side road, and so on. at

EP if you were driving in the inside lane on a motorway and could see traffic coming up the slip road, shouldn't you move into one of the overtaking lanes to allow the oncoming traffic to join in the motorway, if safe and if possible?

If driving along other roads at speed, it could be quite dangerous to slow down or stop and to start letting other vehicles in from a side junction unless the traffic is crawling along.

welbeck Mon 02-Aug-21 16:20:00

MerylStreep

ElderlyPerson
You said that you think in a way that is different to other people.
With respect, your not wrong. Who uses the words leftmost lane. From the inception of the Highway Code it’s been the ^inside lane^

i thought it was nearside lane, as opp to offside.
but leftmost is clear enough.

Lillie Mon 02-Aug-21 16:23:03

this thread is a car crash
but a pleasant enough one

welbeck Mon 02-Aug-21 16:23:07

i often don't know what's going on either.
i thought this was about some mysterious threads that i didn't understand; now it seems to be an unrequested driving lesson.
by the way, what is quote-nesting. that's a new one on me.

Lillie Mon 02-Aug-21 16:24:45

back to chickens nesting i guess welbeck

Callistemon Mon 02-Aug-21 16:24:51

I think either term is ok, welbeck

There is, however, no such lane as the fast lane!

BlueBelle Mon 02-Aug-21 16:27:03

This is not meant to be at all negative and I hope you don’t take it that way EP but you do seem very single minded and not very flexible
When you say you ‘think in a different way to others’ are you Implying you are Aspergers? You are obviously very intelligent but something about the way you can’t let go and just put things down to “hey ho that’s life” seems as if you really take things to heart and are quite static in your thinking, very structured and a bit inflexible
You don’t like change you, and don’t like anything unexpected or different
Maybe I m quite wrong and you have a zip wire from your bedroom to the garden
Please don’t take this as a negative but it’s all very interesting

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 16:28:05

Please don't start talking about chickens and motorways at the same time, I cannot cope confused

welbeck Mon 02-Aug-21 16:29:44

was that in the french thread.
i'm lost now.
je ne sais quoi.
is that right ? from another grade 5, O level french, long ago.

Callistemon Mon 02-Aug-21 16:32:11

JaneJudge

Please don't start talking about chickens and motorways at the same time, I cannot cope confused

I once got held up on a motorway by a herd of cows who had strayed on there but can't remember which lane they were in (all of them, I think).

Callistemon Mon 02-Aug-21 16:32:58

which, not who.

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 16:33:06

Cows get bloody everywhere

Callistemon Mon 02-Aug-21 16:34:39

And hens
They got into DD's flower beds and destroyed them.

Ellianne Mon 02-Aug-21 16:46:26

JaneJudge

Cows get bloody everywhere

There's a French expression "Ah la vache!"
It means "blimey".
I think the police are also called "les vaches". The filth.

Ellianne Mon 02-Aug-21 16:48:39

And my GS' favourite cheese.

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 16:59:58

grin you lot, you make my day x

MawBe Mon 02-Aug-21 17:09:31

ElderlyPerson

MerylStreep

ElderlyPerson
You said that you think in a way that is different to other people.
With respect, your not wrong. Who uses the words leftmost lane. From the inception of the Highway Code it’s been the ^inside lane^

Oh.

That doesn't seem logical on a dual carriageway does it?

What on earth is illogical about the “ inside” lane on a dual carriageway? Or indeed “outside” lane?
It certainly can’t be “leftmost” if there are only two lanes -I have never come across that expression either.
“Left hand” or “inner”, nearside” or “ inside” lanes, yes.

MawBe Mon 02-Aug-21 17:10:09

Ellianne

And my GS' favourite cheese.

C’est vachement bien!

toscalily Mon 02-Aug-21 17:13:51

Well having worked my way through all of this, some of it amusing, a lot rather pedantic I would be surprised if this would be here tomorrow as it is certainly a thread about a thread(s) and we will probably all get the "Moo-ved" page.

LilyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 02-Aug-21 17:45:41

Hi all

As moderators, our job is to sift through the trickier, more contentious stuff on site - we actually do miss out on the brilliant stuff.. particularly when busy!

However, don't be fooled by the report button. You can hit report to shout 'good read' or 'worth sharing in the newsletter' or even 'this will make you chuckle'.

Trust me - we'd really appreciate it, and it's something that doesn't happen often. But we're here for the good as well as the bad, so never be afraid to share with us by hitting the report button. flowers

Flexagon Mon 02-Aug-21 17:49:54

That's good to hear Lily but I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering what was so contentious about the French threads that has caused such umbrage today.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Aug-21 17:57:25

Well is it umbrage or perceived umbrage Flexagon

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 21:46:00

What a load of old toot

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 21:48:37

FannyCornforth

What a load of old toot

Sorry, that was in response to LilyGN’s post

Chewbacca Mon 02-Aug-21 22:03:03

What a load of old toot
Sorry, that was in response to LilyGN’s post

Whatever did LilyGN say to cause you to be so rude and unkind FannyCornforth? confused She simply explained that the report button can be used for more than just making a complaint, something that may have addressed ElderlyPerson's OP in the first place.

I couldn't see anything in her post that deserved rudeness.