Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Imbalance in feedback opportunities

(221 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

ElderlyPerson Mon 02-Aug-21 06:40:17

Every thread has a link to report the thread to GNHQ.

Yet no link to inform GNHQ that one thinks that a thread is good.

Every post has a link to report the post to GNHQ.

Yet no link to inform GNHQ that one thinks that a post is good.

So GNHQ may well get unbalanced feedback.

FarNorth Mon 02-Aug-21 10:15:55

EP have you tried explaining to gnhq what the threads are for.
I expect the mod who looked at them just thought "oh yes, too many in french. that's bad."

Ellianne Mon 02-Aug-21 10:18:11

FannyCornforth

Thug, I think Maw
Ellianne what do you mean? I love a conspiracy theory!

I didn't work high up in the police for nothing Fanny!

Sally12 Mon 02-Aug-21 10:21:17

So your threads were not deleted? If there is interest in them, they will survive. If not…… Are you / have you been a member of other forums EP? Perhaps other ones have different approaches?

Flexagon Mon 02-Aug-21 10:22:03

I'm confused now. As others have said, all the threads are still there. They haven't been deleted but enthusiasm has tailed off. I can think of a number of reasons for that. Why not just try to keep one overarching thread active by waking it up each day with new content just as others do in the various support and kindness threads? It may not be how you see it EP but it may be what others would like.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Aug-21 10:22:45

EP may I make a suggestion ?
Would you ask HQ to put your French /German /Italian threads into the ‘education forum’ instead of chat I think that would be much more realistic and connect with the people who are interested to chat in another language and wouldn’t bother anyone else
What do you think to that suggestion ?

Ellianne Mon 02-Aug-21 10:25:48

BlueBelle

EP may I make a suggestion ?
Would you ask HQ to put your French /German /Italian threads into the ‘education forum’ instead of chat I think that would be much more realistic and connect with the people who are interested to chat in another language and wouldn’t bother anyone else
What do you think to that suggestion ?

Sounds good to my mind.
EP?

Still not sure what the bother to another GN member really is though?

Chewbacca Mon 02-Aug-21 10:32:00

I'm really not sure what the actual complaint is now and your explanation has befuddled me even more EP. I've completely lost track. confused And is this a TAAT and so likely to be zapped?

Lincslass Mon 02-Aug-21 10:37:33

ElderlyPerson

My thinking is that recently I had an email from GNHQ that there had been complaints about the threads that I had started.

Just that there were several about French.

Yet some people clearly enjoyed those threads.

The threads were harmless and there are many threads by lots of people, so reporting those few in the great number of threads just because they existed and were specific about various aspects of learning French in various ways, not because of content, was, in my opinion, unreasonable.

Some people clearly enjoyed those threads and the moaning by some other people has inhibited enjoyment.

So my idea to start some threads for Italian, a café and an accompanying garden has not happened, as a direct result of the reporting of the French threads.

So I am just having a moan about it as the GNHQ ruling only took in one set of views.

Why would someone report a French language thread, someone started a German for fun, wonder if that’s been reported. Shame.

ElderlyPerson Mon 02-Aug-21 10:39:21

MawBe

Can you explain groaning and thud please?

What I am meaning is that often in life generally if someone puts forward a new idea and is enthusiastic, then very often someone starts moaning and groaning and putting it down with a thud and often, though not always, makes it such that other people ignore the new idea because it seems controversial so they dare not express interest in case they get moaned at too.

The first time I observed this was in about 1960 in a model railway magazine. Someone had written a letter to the editor enthusing about his customisation of some models of multiple units (they were basically sort of Brunswick green in those days) and painted them orange with silver roofs.

A subsequent issue, a groan and thud letter from someone about if he ever tries to sell his stock.

Oh, oh, oh, the original writer was happy, there was no indication whatsoever that he would ever try to sell it. Just needless groaning and thud.

I remembered that when the first French TGV trains came out - orange with a silver roof.

Year later when the new A1 locomotive was proposed someone wrote dismissively that they'll never build the boiler.

Fortunately that groaning did not thud the project and 60163 Tornado was built and run.

So now it has been for the French threads. Groan and thud!

So no two threads for Italian or any other language.

The groaners have managed to thud the pleasure that the threads could have given.

Galaxy Mon 02-Aug-21 10:42:11

How have they done that the threads are still there?

Ellianne Mon 02-Aug-21 10:43:00

Why would someone report a French language thread, someone started a German for fun, wonder if that’s been reported.
Categorically not Lincslass! I am feeling very left out of this reporting lark!

Flexagon Mon 02-Aug-21 10:43:41

No one has "thudded" the pleasure out of the threads. They are still there for people to participate in if they wish.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Aug-21 10:51:21

The threads are still there they have NOT been deleted EP you are getting a bit fixated now no one has moaned or groaned your threads away THEY ARE STILL ACTIVE. you need to stop going on about it and get on with whatever you want to say in French, German or Vietnamese
Shrug your shoulders and move on
Some of us start threads in good faith and they totally disappear so what, that’s life ??‍♀️

MawBe Mon 02-Aug-21 10:52:49

And as I said, there is no imbalance in feedback opportunities!
Just when it comes to reporting which is something quite different.

Galaxy Mon 02-Aug-21 10:54:03

OP I have been reported twice, honestly it's no big deal. In my case HQ were right in their deletion, I was correct in my analysis of someone's character but I certainly broke guidelines. Honestly its neither here nor there.

Chewbacca Mon 02-Aug-21 11:03:24

I'm impressed that anyone can remember the details of a letter sent in 1960.

Ellianne Mon 02-Aug-21 11:05:23

Inspector Jacques Clouseau ici.
EP if you can say the timing of the GN email regarding the complaint I am within a whisker of solving le mystère of who dunnit.

Sally12 Mon 02-Aug-21 11:07:45

Perhaps EP made a note of it in his diary at the time

Flexagon Mon 02-Aug-21 11:08:27

I have started a new topic in the original thread for writing in French. Feel free to join in or start another topic if the one I've chosen doesn't grab you.

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 11:09:32

Ellianne

Inspector Jacques Clouseau ici.
EP if you can say the timing of the GN email regarding the complaint I am within a whisker of solving le mystère of who dunnit.

Wow! ?

jaylucy Mon 02-Aug-21 11:20:03

Surely the number of people that responded to your thread gave an idea if it was popular or not ? I just didn't think that this all was supposed to be a popularity contest !
As an admin on a community noticeboard, I can say that when a post has been reported, and the reasons to choose from on the system are pretty narrow it really comes down to one person having to make a quick decision based on their own feelings or beliefs - there are no hard and fast rules.

Yammy Mon 02-Aug-21 11:41:53

Posts are posts if you don't like or understand them then ignore and read another.
It's censorship at someone's own incentive and agenda we should all be able to say what we want or what is the point of Gransnet if we have to think before we answer or posts even deleted.
I have had disagreements with some very nice people who didn't take it to heart.
It's like when I first started teaching you had to ask in the staff room which teacher sat in which chair and woe betide you if you picked someone else's mug of coffee up.
We should all agree to disagree if we feel so.

Galaxy Mon 02-Aug-21 11:47:09

You cant say what you want on an internet board run by a company. Its daft to think you can.

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 11:47:21

Three of your French threads are currently in the Active list.
I’ve just had a look at one and it seems to get a lot of traffic.
The perceived problem seems to be resolved smile

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 11:48:23

Galaxy

You cant say what you want on an internet board run by a company. Its daft to think you can.

No live chickens then? ?